Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Don't care what's in style.

Whether it's clothes or home decor.

For clothes, I like casual preppy.

For home, I like dark, heavy woods, plain paints (no textures), open spaces, not too much matchy-matchy (but also not mish-mash of colors), clean sightlines (but not modern), simple decor, original art, neutral tones with occasional pop items, natural finishes (wood, metal, leather, stone-no plastic or vinyl or porcelain).

Think luxury lake cabin in Colorado or open beach house in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I disagree. (A) I think it is an aspect of advertising and consumerism, not an aspect of human nature. The whole purpose of advertising and marketing of consumer goods is to make us dissatisfied with what we have now. Why? $$$$$$$, that's why.

(B) If you look at traditional societies you will see that "style" (whatever that is) changes very slowly. Things, practices, thought patterns, beliefs are retained, in many cases long past their usefulness.

(C) I am not arguing that we should go back to the Neolithic, but I am arguing that as inhabitants of the modern world we have a CHOICE. We should not blindly accept the dictates of advertisers and marketeers as actual needs or requirements.
(A) Advertising works when it leverages emotions to attract paying customers, but it isn't an aspect of human nature. It may be a commentary on human nature. Boredom, however, is an aspect of human nature. Getting bored is as basic to human nature as feelings of joy, sadness, and empathy. The success (or failure) of advertising doesn't change the fact that boredom is a human trait.

(B) Applying cultural norms of "traditional societies", whatever the time period or geography, to modern industrialized cultures is anachronistic and/or somewhat irrelevant, and I think you know that based on the fact that you agree we aren't going "back to the Neolithic".

(C) As far as having a choice in the modern industrialized world, your argument is a straw man fallacy. I never said we don't have a choice in the modern world. In fact, I very much agree that we have a choice. It is precisely because we have a choice that many people choose to change their style and decor when they become bored. You may love something for a long time, or even choose to refrain from buying new furniture or decor when you become bored. That's fine. But the fact is many people do get bored of the same style after a while and they exercise their freedom to change. That's fine too. Trying to fight the nature of human boredom only leads to anxiety and stress. Accept it, and do something about it. Live.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Most people would be bored if they had to wear the same pant suit, same make up, same hair, same shoes day in and day out - it doesn't matter if the style is in vogue or not. Same thing with interior decor. The sooner you accept this aspect of human nature, the less time you'll spend worrying about the permanence of style and actually live.
Completely agree. I definitely like to change things up from time to time, and what I liked 20 years ago isn't remotely what I would pick now.

Having said that, I tried to go with reasonably moderate choices when I built new construction 2.5 years ago. Shaker style cabinets, hardwood floor, brushed nickel. Clean lines. I can change things up with furniture and decor and accent pieces, but the main finishes aren't going anywhere.

But I will be doing a mini kitchen remodel in another couple of years - the builder didn't have any granite or quartz that I loved so I went with laminate counters as a place holder, always knowing that was a short term thing. I haven't started doing formal planning but it's interesting to me to see how many different ideas I've already cycled through as far as what I am thinking about. Clearly, there is always time for tastes to evolve, at least for me!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
What do I love and what do I think I could always love?

Hardwood floors

Simple floor tile

painted front doors

floor to ceiling book cases filled with books

Platform beds

Leather upholstery

Large windows that let daylight into the interior of the house

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I've always liked a beachy look paired with really well made furniture. Never is really in style so it never really goes out of style.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
"If decorating styles didn't "go out of style"......."

There'd be a lot of unemployed people!!!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I too love hardwood floors. I have SS in the kitchen but would go back to white once it is the to replace appliances.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've always liked a beachy look paired with really well made furniture. Never is really in style so it never really goes out of style.
I think you hit the nail on the head! Once something becomes super popular, it's going to become passé after a while. So I am actually trying to figure out what *I* truly love, that is not particularly common or "in style."

Even that can be tricky though. A couple years ago I bought a pair copper trays for our nightstands, just because I thought they were beautiful. I decided to add some other copper accents throughout our MBR, including painting some things I already had with inexpensive copper-colored paint. I thought I was the only person decorating with copper, LOL. I have recently discovered that it was apparently a short-lived trend that is already "out"! Oh well, too bad, I like my copper things.

To answer my original question, things that I have always loved include:

The color periwinkle (although I have never decorated with it.)
Anything paisley.
Colors in the grayish-beige family (now popular enough they've come up with the word "griege" to describe it).
Wood floors.
Soft flowy curtains.
Outdoor water features (fountain, waterfall, anything that makes the sound of water moving). The house we're buying has a creek in back that sounds sooo soothing!
Stained glass (but not ornate like Tiffany style, more clean and modern).
Crackle glass
Crystals, prisms, and anything that catches the light and sparkles.

Most of these "likes" go way back to my childhood, although now that I think about it, I have decorated with only a couple of them. Hmmmm, I need to work on that.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head! Once something becomes super popular, it's going to become passé after a while. So I am actually trying to figure out what *I* truly love, that is not particularly common or "in style."
Why are you so focused on avoiding trends? Is it at all possible that you might genuinely love something that happens to be common or in vogue? What you wrote imparts the impression that you are more focused on AVOIDANCE than on the authenticity of your decorative intuition. Have some confidence and live, whether it is in vogue, démodé, or a mish mash of the two. Style may evolve, but you can never have style without confidence.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Why are you so focused on avoiding trends? Is it at all possible that you might genuinely love something that happens to be common or in vogue? What you wrote imparts the impression that you are more focused on AVOIDANCE than on the authenticity of your decorative intuition. Have some confidence and live, whether it is in vogue, démodé, or a mish mash of the two. Style may evolve, but you can never have style without confidence.
Note that I said I love copper, despite it being a short-lived trend (after I began using it).

If it seems I try to avoid trends, its because I tend to like things that are "different." For example, I spent two years trying to find a new sofa, because everything I looked at looked like, well, a "typical sofa." I am drawn to things that look like nothing I've ever seen before, but that aren't totally "weird." (I did finally find one, and I love it!). I'm going through the same thing now looking for new bathroom faucets. I've scrolled through hundreds of "blah, ordinary" ones online, and finally found a couple that wow me.

But my avoidance/embracing of trends isn't really why I started this thread. I was merely curious what other people love, regardless of trends, but unfortunately most of the replies haven't answered that question.

Last edited by kayanne; 07-20-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating