Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tile will stand the test if time?
Plain white subway 15 28.30%
Marble-like subway 15 28.30%
Other? 23 43.40%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

A friend will be redoing their small master bath. It is a typical 5 foot by 8 foot layout with a small white single sink vanity, toilet and shower. They want it light and bright and do not want anything trendy. They are thinking white subway tile or white marble-like tile for the shower and hexagon tile for floor. Which would you pick and why? What would stand the test of time? Would the white subway be too bland? Thanks for your responses. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
My other vote is for vertically applied - their choice of solid surface material. Corian, Quartz - whatever. I'm not a fan of marble.

Fewer grout lines.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:05 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Shower- cultured marble panels! No grout, no grout joints. The only seams are the corners.

The bath floor- whatever their little heart desires. But I certainly wouldn't do hex- waaaaaay tooooo much grout there!

Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
We have had tile in our bathroom for years. The only trouble with grout is if you have kids that splash everywhere and it's not moped up. If young kids will use this bathroom - It's the old aim and miss routine - That's when the grout absorbs stains.

So will young children have access to this bathroom? If no, then do whatever you want with the flooring. You can seal the grout, it's not hard. With a small floor you can do anything, really. Look at a lot of pictures and figure it out. More intense colors will have a dark floor and the vanity / toilet / tub will be the focus. Pick one that isn't slick, you don't want to slip and fall. Go with porcelain instead of ceramic tile - It's more durable, less porous and will hold up better in a bathroom.

This one is nice - Remember the pattern will be interrupted by the vanity / toilet / tub / door swing

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I voted marble-like subway. Not because it's my favorite or anything but I also know that some people are on a budget and based on their choices, sounds like that might be the case.

The regular subway is too industrial. I like the softer marble style. Just looks more restful.

I would definitely NOT do hexagon tile. Very outdated. I'd get some white wood-look planks (not huge size because it's a small bath), but they are really nice looking.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I voted for the marble look, just to break up all the rest of the white. If they counter was something besides solid white, then I think white subway is fine. I used oversized white subway (8x4) for my shower to make things look a bit more modern, those are applied horizontally but I added a fairly wide vertical stripe of dark teal glass linear tile.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:52 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
There's no more classic look for a bath than white subway tile and an octagonal floor. In a small bath, I'd go with shiny white subway.

Here are some photos: small bath subway octagonal
I think the marble looks too busy for a small bath.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:04 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Having lived with several tiny white bathrooms through the years, I would suggest off-white or other very light neutral because pure white can be jarring after awhile. I'll take a warm beige any day.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Shower- cultured marble panels! No grout, no grout joints. The only seams are the corners.

The bath floor- whatever their little heart desires. But I certainly wouldn't do hex- waaaaaay tooooo much grout there!

That sounds great. I hate grout lines and odd shapes that are too busy.

I need to check into cultured marble panels for next bathroom.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I voted marble-like subway. Not because it's my favorite or anything but I also know that some people are on a budget and based on their choices, sounds like that might be the case.

The regular subway is too industrial. I like the softer marble style. Just looks more restful.

I would definitely NOT do hexagon tile. Very outdated. I'd get some white wood-look planks (not huge size because it's a small bath), but they are really nice looking.
Isn't wood-look tile a trend. I wonder if 10 years from now people will be saying "what were we thinking?" I think hex tile is classic. Never goes out of style. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating