Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times

Advertisements

It's called "red rain" and I think it's a famous piece of art. I'm not sure if it's meant to be interpreted however you want to or if there's a specific meaning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Is the artist Liz Hess?

If so, there really isn't a meaning. She has a whole collection of red umbrella paintings.

https://www.lizhess.com/red-umbrella-painting/

If not Liz Hess, who is the artist?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Is the artist Liz Hess?

If so, there really isn't a meaning. She has a whole collection of red umbrella paintings.

https://www.lizhess.com/red-umbrella-painting/

If not Liz Hess, who is the artist?
This is the description: "Italian photographer Stefano Corso excels at capturing that quiet urban moment."
It doesn't tell you a lot. I love how it looks and it would fit perfectly in my place. I'm just curious if the red has some kind of meaning or the photograph overall does.
However, I clicked on another one on Wayfair. It's the same picture but with a different frame and it says it's by "Patricia Pinto." I'm not sure why the name changed.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Could be styles are copied. I think it's just a way of adding color to a scene. Kind of like those black and white winter scenes and then that bright spot of color in the red cardinal.

If it speaks to you in some way, that's all that matters to the artist.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default I can see clearly now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
This is the description: "Italian photographer Stefano Corso excels at capturing that quiet urban moment."
It doesn't tell you a lot. I love how it looks and it would fit perfectly in my place. I'm just curious if the red has some kind of meaning or the photograph overall does.
However, I clicked on another one on Wayfair. It's the same picture but with a different frame and it says it's by "Patricia Pinto." I'm not sure why the name changed.
The coding on your image also says Patricia Pinto, who is a native of Columbia & works out of FL. If you look @ https://www.wayfair.com/Amanti-Art-R...t-XAQ4340.html - you'll see various prints of the image, each one attributed to either Pinto or Corso. I think one or both have grounds for infringement, assuming that they can show date of copyright. Corso is described in the print entry (under his name) as being an Italian photographer.

The images look identical to me, although in the comments on the image @ the OP, someone complains that it's too dark & hard to see what the image is of. I think it's just wall art, something to decorate with. Given the size of the catalog for both, I think they work pretty fast.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I always interpret art with my own ideas.
To me it looks like someone going through hard times, but sees light up ahead.
A friend and I were at a museum and saw the same picture of two young children on a precipice looking out over a valley. One child had her hand on the others shoulder. Her interpretation was one child was going to push the other off the cliff. Mine was the child was warning the other not to get too close.
Just call me Pollyanna

Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-web&fr=mcafee

There is a host of red umbrella paintings. Maybe this is like Keane's big eye pics. For awhile in the 1960s, those pics and similar rip offs were everywhere.

I'd say that the pic has no specific meaning except for that attributed to it by the viewer. What does it mean to you?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I see it as a statement of; "man's inhumanity towards fellow man"

of course, that's how I see every painting or work of art as I only attended that one day of 'Interpreting Art 101' at Jr. College before I dropped out to become an Air Traffic Controller

Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
A red umbrella carried by a nondescript woman in a greyed out scene...

In the film "Schindler's List", the little girl in the red coat, walking through the black and white footage of the liquidation of the ghetto...

In the film "The Sixth Sense", the red door knob on the door to the basement...

Pretty much a splash of red in a colorless view is meant to provide contrast to the surrounding scene, something meant to draw one's eye - "pay attention - a point is being made here".

In the mass-produced artwork depicted in OP, to me it means that the unidentified every-woman in the photo is saying "I have a red umbrella in a sea of drab. I'm special, I have optimism, I have hope". Sort of like the cat in the "Hang in there" poster.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-web&fr=mcafee

There is a host of red umbrella paintings. Maybe this is like Keane's big eye pics. For awhile in the 1960s, those pics and similar rip offs were everywhere.

I'd say that the pic has no specific meaning except for that attributed to it by the viewer. What does it mean to you?
There's a lot of interesting interpretations here. Now that I've read all of them, I think Retire in MB's makes the most sense although none of the interpretations here are what drew me to it.
Basically, I love selective color photography. (I would say this is almost selective color.) It's a powerful way to take a complicated world with tons of stimuli and focus the person on one interesting thing. It can also be a way of pointing out how many interesting stimuli there are that we normally miss in the present moment (a key tenet of the mindfulness movement).
That said, I didn't really pay much attention to the rest of the picture. Just the red umbrella. I didn't even consciously process that it looks like what's behind her is dark and ahead is bright. Perhaps this also symbolizes how easy it is to focus on one detail and miss the bigger picture.

If anyone is interested, this is my selective color photography on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/671635...57664861808901
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating