Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a 9' x 12' wool area rug. It is large enough that it will fit partly under my sofa and under the ottoman. So with all of that weight, I don't think it will slide around. Will it scratch the floor if I don't put a protection pad under it? I find this floor scratches very easily if you slide furniture, although hopefully a wool rug wouldn't do that. I'm renting and I don't want to damage the place. It's the "luxury plank vinyl floor" that's meant to look like hardwood. I've also heard that some protection/non-skid pads will discolor this floor. If I do need a pad, what pad would I get? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Most wool rugs are tufted (loose cotton material backing - rugs from China), those from India have material that is more firmly in place. That material is pretty soft and should not scratch your floor at all.
However, I don't care for them, for many reasons, but mainly because they buckle.
I would put a pad under the rug where the sofa hold it in place.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,583 times
I also heard about the discoloration possibly being a problem with some pads.

I can not really answer your question. I do have a 8 by 10 heavy wool area rug in my living room and it does not slide. Considering I have two rowdy , used to be both be 50 pounds but the old gal passed and I now have a smaller one, dogs dashing around a good part of the time it has been put to the sliding test many times. It is on sheet vinyl and has been for several years. On one end there is a very light weight rattan couch front legs only on it but usually no one sits there just one dog. Nothing is holding the sides. I do have a trunk in front of the couch though. Only extra furniture covers in the trunk. Giving you a weight idea. At the other end is my ottoman and front legs of my chair. Other chair front legs only sitting on the rug.

A couple months ago I took everything off of it rolled it up to clean under it then did a deep shampoo of it. I also looked for scratches and did not see any. but I do have different flooring than you do.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as felt pad. Not sure if it would make it slide more. I think the biggest scratch factor is what grit might travel through the rug to the floor under it and then rub /scratch the floor. I vacuum almost every day. I did not see much grit under my area rug when I rolled it up and we live very rural with gravel driveway no sidewalks etc.

Hoping some one else has better information. I am just tossing out my experience with my wool rug.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most wool rugs are tufted (loose cotton material backing - rugs from China), those from India have material that is more firmly in place. That material is pretty soft and should not scratch your floor at all.
However, I don't care for them, for many reasons, but mainly because they buckle.
I would put a pad under the rug where the sofa hold it in place.
Are you saying it might damage the floor where the sofa is or just that the pad would help to hold it in place?
I don't know if this makes a difference but it's a reversible hand-woven rug. It is this rug here (in red).
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...g=851&recidx=0

It does say they recommend a pad to keep the rug in place but I'm assuming the weight of the sofa and ottoman would keep the rug in place. I'm just wondering if it will scratch the floor. I'm just renting but I know Sherwin Williams installed the floor. (I've seen them doing this floor in other units.) Maybe I'll call them tomorrow to ask.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM

I called the place that installed the floors. The guy said that since the rug is reversible, he didn't think it would do any damage unless the material is very stiff. And he said some pads will discolor the floor. So he suggested not using a pad since I already have furniture that will be holding the rug in place. I don't know how stiff the rug fibers are. It's hard to tell from the picture. But it's supposed to be delivered this Friday. I'll probably just not use a pad but I guess I'll make a decision when I see it. Just wanted to provide an update, especially in case anyone else is ever in a similar situation and finds this thread. I'll try to remember to provide an update later too after I see how it works out.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
OP, I've had area rugs I've used with and without a pad in that situation. If you have children or will have guests with children who will play on the rug, get a good quality pad. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine without one.

I agree: some inferior pads can come apart and leave a residue on the floor, which could require a light sanding to fully remove.

Go to an actual rug store for a pad. Don't get one of the thin ones from Walmart.

Since it's a rental, I'd probably forget the pad. I don't have friends with young children, right now, either.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Good question! I just moved into my first house without w/w carpet and so am learning about rugs myself. Never realized there was a difference in the rug pads bought at different stores.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
There are basically two different types of pads-

The cheap vinyl type that tends to stick to the floor, discolor the floor, rip, tear, or otherwise disintegrate.
And there's wool pad. Definitely a superior pad; but even they have drawbacks.

What most people seem to not realize is the purpose of the pad is to protect the fibers of the rug itself. Laying a rug on a hard surface without a pad makes the fibers more susceptible to crushing. The only way to truly keep a rug in place is having furniture sitting on it.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There are basically two different types of pads-

The cheap vinyl type that tends to stick to the floor, discolor the floor, rip, tear, or otherwise disintegrate.
And there's wool pad. Definitely a superior pad; but even they have drawbacks.

What most people seem to not realize is the purpose of the pad is to protect the fibers of the rug itself. Laying a rug on a hard surface without a pad makes the fibers more susceptible to crushing. The only way to truly keep a rug in place is having furniture sitting on it.
Oh, but I should get a wool pad in order to protect the rug? I did not realize that. This wasn't a cheap rug (at least for me). So I want to protect it.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 AM

6 posts, read 6,789 times
My friend currently works as an engineer for one of the felt rug padding and carpet padding manufacturers Rug Pad USA, Mohawk, Shaw…. and I’ve actually asked him this same exact issue.

I’m live and work in Chatham County GA and our summers are as humid and muggy as they come. I asked him specifically what pads would work to avoid the “Sweating” issue. My clients and I complain about this all the time – the pads get glued to the floor. One of my clients had to replace a portion of their hardwood to fix this issue.

And this is the rug pad experience for hardwood floors that he shared with me:

– How do you keep rugs from slipping on hardwood floors? A 100% felt rug pad is actually recycled polypropylene fibers but it won’t ever stain, nor sweat, but the rug has to be large enough not to move. But with smaller rugs, you need to stick with a rubber or latex product to prevent “sweating” and sticking.

– Felt and rubber rug pads are made with either synthetic latex (lower cost) or Natural rubber (more expensive), he thought that both should be dry enough that they shouldn’t sweat between your floors.

You can see more: https://getcleaningdone.com/best-rug...rdwood-floors/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating