Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I wouldn't do it, because cleaning kitchen light fixtures is already a pain in the patootie.
^^^^ Definitely, this! ^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
No way.....terrible look in my opinion!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:54 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
No way.....terrible look in my opinion!
I agree.. why on earth would anyone want one in a kitchen..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
no way. no how.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Not all kitchens are hyper utilitarian. I have seen quite a few chandeliers in kitchens. I like the look but I don't know whether they will get super dirty due to grease. It would be hanging over an island.
I didn't say kitchens are "hyper utilitarian," I said they have a utilitarian purpose with a design theme that typically follows. That doesn't mean there's no decorative flourishes anywhere ever, it just means a crystal chandelier doesn't fit with a typical kitchen design theme. If you consider any hanging light fixture a "chandelier," then yes, lots of kitchens have them. Very few have a crystal one however, since their formality runs counter to the less formal use and attendant typical aesthetic theme of a kitchen.

But if you want a crystal chandelier in your kitchen, go for it. Threestep has you covered on how to keep it clean.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I think the biggest question is one that has not been asked yet. How much cooking do you do and what type? My generic answer to your question would have been, too much work to maintain. But, we have friends that are big fried food people and the difference in their kitchen and ours is like night and day. I never deep fry rather just sautée at best. I use the oven more than they do. She is always cleaning the grease filters on her stove fan and while I take mine out, it is more just a perfunctory action as they are not "dirty". While I could skip the grease filters for months and they would be fine, but I have to wipe the fridge down sometimes 3 times per day due to dh, Mr. Dirty Drippy Hands. What does this have to do with your question? Everything. If you are not super fussy and don't do a lot of greasy cooking it might be ok with a light feather dusting weekly. But if you want a sparkling fixture then it probably doesn't work for you. Try this, get a paper towel, a step ladder and your favorite cleaner and take a swipe at the top of your fridge if it is open or your cabs, if they don't go to the ceiling and see what has collected up there.

If you want it, I say go for it, it is your house, but you may be a slave to its' care, as your post suggests you are thinking about.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:35 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
is it a shiny, formal, 'polished' looking chandelier? If so you'll have to clean it about every 6 weeks to avoid it looking wrong and to keep the look you want. Even then, between cleaning it won't look so great if you cook a lot.

if it's a 'shabby chic' kind of chandelier where it will still have the desired look even when a little dirty, you will probably have to clean it more like 4 times a year to keep it looking good.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I think the biggest question is one that has not been asked yet. How much cooking do you do and what type? My generic answer to your question would have been, too much work to maintain. But, we have friends that are big fried food people and the difference in their kitchen and ours is like night and day. I never deep fry rather just sautée at best. I use the oven more than they do. She is always cleaning the grease filters on her stove fan and while I take mine out, it is more just a perfunctory action as they are not "dirty". While I could skip the grease filters for months and they would be fine, but I have to wipe the fridge down sometimes 3 times per day due to dh, Mr. Dirty Drippy Hands. What does this have to do with your question? Everything. If you are not super fussy and don't do a lot of greasy cooking it might be ok with a light feather dusting weekly. But if you want a sparkling fixture then it probably doesn't work for you. Try this, get a paper towel, a step ladder and your favorite cleaner and take a swipe at the top of your fridge if it is open or your cabs, if they don't go to the ceiling and see what has collected up there.

If you want it, I say go for it, it is your house, but you may be a slave to its' care, as your post suggests you are thinking about.
I pretty much don't cook. Never deep fry. We eat out most nights or I have a big salad and my SO has some kind of baked thing. So I don't think it will get super dirty. These are good points. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
is it a shiny, formal, 'polished' looking chandelier? If so you'll have to clean it about every 6 weeks to avoid it looking wrong and to keep the look you want. Even then, between cleaning it won't look so great if you cook a lot.

if it's a 'shabby chic' kind of chandelier where it will still have the desired look even when a little dirty, you will probably have to clean it more like 4 times a year to keep it looking good.
Ah, decisions, decisions!

I think my designer was thinking shiny formal. I have seen lots of more "shabby chic" that could also work. And I love the old schoolhouse lights too which are the alternative to the chandelier. Just for reference, the kitchen is in a 19th century historic house that is somewhat "important" architecturally but not what I would term "grand"-- sort of semi-grand--in a "grand" location with a lot of those "house tour" kinds of houses. The rooms have 11' ceilings including the kitchen, kitchen is white and marble, tall cabinets, 3 piece crown to the ceiling, accent colors are light blues.

We will use this for entertaining more than cooking day to day. The house has a formal dining room.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
I do not but I would if it matched the style of the kitchen. My lights hang over my island not my range. They get no more dirty than any other lights in my house.

My kitchen has a more clean lined look but this kitchen is pretty and it would fit this style.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2591259...tchen-columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating