Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

My interior design matches the original style of my town, er, community. We're too small to be a town, lol. Since I have a 1927 bungalow in a riverine community, all of my interior is 1920s or earlier, except for the kitchen and bath, which is 1940s or so just because it's hard to get 1920s fixtures and appliances. My original sidewalks are oyster shells, just as the streets, were because the house was built by a waterman. He also used oyster shells as the floor for the garage, although I've put horse mats over them for moisture control. I don't use a real beachy theme here; that's more popular the next town over because they actually have a beach. We're named for the Naval base, so I do have a lot of Navy memorabilia from early times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Oyster shells make an awesome walkway! Love having them in Williamsburg

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I live at the beach in DE. My home is very traditional at not at all coastal. I do like the coastal look but just not in my house. I have a house at the beach, not a beach house.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I live at the beach in DE. My home is very traditional at not at all coastal. I do like the coastal look but just not in my house. I have a house at the beach, not a beach house.
Love it! That's almost exactly the same thing I say (except reversed). I have a beach house, it's just not a house at the beach!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
I hope it is ok to post a link to a blog here. The gals house is so lovely. She calls it farm house style. Honestly in my mind it looks more beachy to me. Either way I adore her style. Maybe I just do not know the difference. I was seriously considering dragging out my sheers for the rest of the summer for the living room.

https://www.theshabbycreekcottage.co...tyle-tour.html

Never turns out this way when I try to do some thing similar.

Trying to figure if it is rain clouds or smoke outside I need to get back to painting the house. But not if it is going to rain.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I don't do themed decor. If I have to use a label, my design style is transitional and I have everything ranging from some antiques including an art deco buffet and 1920s mirror that was my grandmother's to mid century inspired pieces all the way up to modern.

The thing they have in common is that I love them and have chosen things that complement each other, not necessarily match each other.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
I think there are a couple of things that match our region that I've incorporated into my decor. I've fallen in love with turquoise blue. I've done the kids guest bedroom in that color with twin bedding, and lamps. I guess you could even say that guest bedroom is beach themed.

The bathroom nearest that bedroom is also done in a palm tree theme.

I decorate with things I like, not so much with what is 'in style'.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
But they did plant an interesting thought in my head, and I thought it might make a fun topic. Do you choose furniture/paint colors/designs that somehow "match" your town (or your region)?
We did in the case of this house. We were transferred to Colorado for a temporary job lasting 3 to 4 years. We sold our center-hall colonial on the east coast and moved into a large open ranch with lots of guest space. Since we didn't have much from the old house that would work in the new place, we decided to have fun and treat it like a vacation home for friends and family to visit. Thus, we have some large western-looking leather furniture, some cow print fabrics & pillows, southwestern colors, Pendleton blankets, and Native American artwork and pottery that we've bought since being here.

OP, I grew up in the area where you're living now and know several people who've retired there. Most of them have a much more traditional style in their homes than what I'm used to seeing in the retirement areas here. Not Colonial, exactly, but definitely more formal-looking.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't do themed decor. If I have to use a label, my design style is transitional and I have everything ranging from some antiques including an art deco buffet and 1920s mirror that was my grandmother's to mid century inspired pieces all the way up to modern.

The thing they have in common is that I love them and have chosen things that complement each other, not necessarily match each other.
I agree with you way too often and the forum won't let me give reputation again. But this is bang on - my style might have a loose theme based on my aesthetic but that's the only unifying thing about it. I pick what I love, and organize it around colors and arrangements my eye finds pleasing. I have gotten a lot of compliments so there's that but I've noticed the best rooms are the ones that have panache, and you can't hit that without the soul of the person who created it coming through.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Yeah, my house definitely has that post-industrial, working-class look ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating