Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times

Advertisements

This may get moved to the "home" forum, but I was hoping to post here because I'd like to see what home cooks have to say!

I don't necessarily mean granite countertops and such -- although I think you should share that, too! I am more thinking about custom upgrades that you might not see in many homes...stuff that you want as an avid home cook.

At some point in the future, I'd love to custom design and build a home. And for me, one of the biggest reasons I want to do that is because of the kitchen. I've never been totally happy with the kitchen in any of the homes that I've lived in.

Like, for me, I'd love to have a REALLY big pantry. Like, really big. Big enough that I can store tons and tons of pantry staples (I love stocking up, and I love having a variety) and small appliances/gadgets that I might not use often.

I think I need extra, extra pot/pan storage.

Stuff like that. How about y'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I love the kitchens that come with a chef.

I'm with you on the pantry space. I'd like for everything to be up front; not something behind something else where I can't see it. That goes for food items, pots/pans, everything up front.

I'd also like space -- perhaps not in the main area; maybe in the pantry -- for a storage freezer.

Fun thread!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM

^Yes! I love the idea of having a storage freezer in the pantry.

And yup...I'm the same way. I don't like digging around. I like to store like items together, all at the front, where they can be easily seen and grabbed.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love the kitchens that come with a chef.

I'm with you on the pantry space. I'd like for everything to be up front; not something behind something else where I can't see it. That goes for food items, pots/pans, everything up front.

I'd also like space -- perhaps not in the main area; maybe in the pantry -- for a storage freezer.

Fun thread!
I'm married to a chef, it's overrated, they never cook at home.

Yes to a great big walk-in pantry. I would also like a full size freezer in it since I like to stock up and a beverage cooler for extra space when we have company.

I've had a couple houses with large (6 X 10 footish) center islands that I really enjoy, having the large flat space to make pasta or lots of cookies is nice, also one had an vegetable sink in it that was very useful.

Full extension lower cabinets so I can fit all the pots and pans and pull out the shelf to see them. Also one to vertically store cookie sheets so they are easier to use. I use my blender and mixer all the time but a door to close them off and keep the space neater along with a really fancy espresso maker with a dedicated water line would make my morning.

Plenty of plugs, lots of great lighting for prepping but dimmable for dinner and lots of natural light with windows to open and clear out what ever smoke seems to gather when I pan sear steak.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
  • Gas stove/oven
  • Six burners
  • Two ovens
  • Vent hood must vent to the outside
  • Large central island (with pull-out racks for pots/pans)
  • Large, deep sink (for those large pots/pans)

We have all but the gas stove/oven (not available here), so I'm happy.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Ahhh, a large walk in pantry....neither my current nor previous home has walk in pantries at all, let alone large ones (and these are both very nice homes built in the mid 2000s). But, one home we lived in that was built in 1958 had not one, but two, huge walk in pantries. I'm not exaggerating when I say those pantries were my favorite thing about the house, and I still occasionally think about how much I miss them (usually when I can't find something in what passes for a "pantry" in my current house.

One thing that is very helpful that our last house had when we bought it was two dishwashers. I thought it was completely unnecessary when we bought that house, but I grew to love it, so we added a 2nd when we moved to our current house.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-12-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 PM

I am so loving all of these ideas!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
  • Gas stove/oven
  • Six burners
  • Two ovens
  • Vent hood must vent to the outside
  • Large central island (with pull-out racks for pots/pans)
  • Large, deep sink (for those large pots/pans)

We have all but the gas stove/oven (not available here), so I'm happy.
I'm with you on the sink. I have a large, deep, sink and I love that I can put the crusty broiler tray in there to soak for a while.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
If it were up to me--and I had the money--about a third of my house would be kitchen. I'd want a walk-in pantry, drawers and more drawers, separate freezer and refrigerator units, a huge sink, two dishwashers, dual fuel stove, microwave/convection oven, and half a mile of great countertop. Wine storage would be nice. At least one shelf for my cookbooks. I need (lol) a peninsula or island with seating. Enough room to put a table and 4 chairs. Perhaps most of all, a beautiful view from the window above the sink.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm with you on the sink. I have a large, deep, sink and I love that I can put the crusty broiler tray in there to soak for a while.
Ease of cleaning is often overlooked. Those pots and pans don't clean themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating