Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:22 AM

42 posts, read 55,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I thought he was putting the TV on the media table.
I am indeed, I'll just have to think about any electronics close to the radiator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 11:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,702 times
The flat is very very cute. I encourage you to pay attention to the lines, the finish, and the style of your kitchen cabinets and kitchen appliances when you consider your dining area and living area furniture. The coziness of the flat requires a coherent conversation among all the living areas. I would stay away from industrial, transitional, and traditional styles. I would also stay away from too much black and wood.

My recommendation: look at those graphic dining chairs. They are the only pieces worth keeping. Use them as an inspiration. Also look at some Philippe Starck and contemporaries for inspiration. Good luck. It's an adorable flat!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:02 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's weird. I post the floor plan and it shows up just fine.

Then I refresh the page and it's gone. POOF!

From eyeballing the source URL for the image, it appears that the length of the URL is too long for the forum software to handle.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:59 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I thought he was putting the TV on the media table.
If he puts the media table directly in front of the radiator he may have limited usage of it because of the heat put forth in colder months. It's something that needs to be taken into consideration IMO, so I suggested a possible alternative if he decides the table is too low or would need to be placed too far into the room to work well. And I'm merely suggesting the use of an idea, not any particular style such as plain white whatevers
It's a cute table, but if it can't be used for storage it's not a very practical item on a limited budget.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If he puts the media table directly in front of the radiator he may have limited usage of it because of the heat put forth in colder months. It's something that needs to be taken into consideration IMO, so I suggested a possible alternative if he decides the table is too low or would need to be placed too far into the room to work well. And I'm merely suggesting the use of an idea, not any particular style such as plain white whatevers
It's a cute table, but if it can't be used for storage it's not a very practical item on a limited budget.
I agree with this ^. You don't want to put any furniture pieces in front of that radiator, or even close, if the radiator is ever going to be used. I would suggest either a radiator cover that has a functional top area on it for your TV or a very tall table that surrounds the whole radiator to put your TV on top of. You can always add some smaller shelves on either side of it if you need/want more storage.
Here's a search with ideas for taller tables, etc for that radiator area:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tall...iw=854&bih=568

Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM

I'll have to message the exact location of the radiator to figure this out... I'm sure I can figure it out.

@hellopity Can you help me out with some pictures to understand your ideas?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.lk View Post

I am indeed, I'll just have to think about any electronics close to the radiator.
I thought you would put the media table to the left of the radiator, butted up against the window.

I know that would place it off center for viewing, but you could angle the TV slightly.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
@hellopity Can you help me out with some pictures to understand your ideas?
I recommend doing a google search for some of these companies/retailers: Moooi, Yliving, DWR, Knoll, Vitra, Kartell, Flos, Roche Bobois, B&B Italia. There is a good variety of fun and flirty pieces from modern to MCM to contemporary designers. See if you can derive some inspiration. Your budget is going to make these out of reach for you but it's a useful exercise nonetheless. You'll start to notice "inspired" pieces at the mid to lower end of the market, at places like Room and Board, Ikea, West Elm, etc where designers draw inspiration from licensed designs. You can often find unlicensed reproductions (imitations) for super cheap online. You may or may not be aware, but licensing laws in the UK changed recently and it may be difficult for you to find inexpensive copies of licensed designs.

Have said that, before you decide on furniture, maybe make a list of must haves in your home. Is a sofa or loveseat really necessary? Will you be able to live with two armchairs or a daybed or a chaise longue instead of a standard sofa? Is a TV a must in the living area? Do you truly need 4 dining chairs (? because you will be hosting a lot)? 500 does not go very far for a dining/living area, even at Ikea. You may want to focus on one or two quality pieces from Ikea or whatever and complete the furnishing slowly over time. .

Think about furniture placement before picking furniture. And measure measure measure. Tape measurers and masking tape are your friends. I had a few minutes of spare time at the airport so I made some quick doodles of furniture arrangement ideas on my phone. Will post them here, hopefully it works. Also this website: 5 Ways to Lay Out a Studio Apartment | Apartment Therapy It's a super cute space. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 PM

@hellopity Thank you for your reply, you're amazing.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to secure the flat, but I'll keep you guys updated when I find a new place.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
@hellopity Thank you for your reply, you're amazing.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to secure the flat, but I'll keep you guys updated when I find a new place.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you find another suitable flat soon. Most flats in London are pretty small, so it’s always a good idea to start your list of must-haves. Furnishing a small space is a really fantastic exercise in evaluating things that are important to you. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating