Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

Our next project is to make the attic above our master bedroom into a fabulous bath and dressing room for me. The attic is enclosed-- there is a door in our master that leads to the attic steps which are quite steep (the house is Victorian.)

Lately I have been thinking of doing a spiral staircase to open up the enclosed space where the steps are currently. I found a really cool Victorian look wrought iron one. However, I worry about the difficulty of moving things in and out of the bathroom, should I say, need a new toilet one day. Of course, I could get my massive soaking tub into the space before installing the staircase, but I would essentially never again be able to get it down.

I am not committed to this idea, and wondered what your thoughts might be on 1. spiral stairs in general, 2. spiral stairs leading to a bathroom. Our master isn't huge and this design would give us more space. We plan to use our current master bath (which is also accessible to the main hall but attached to our room) as sort of "his and hers" so that I would not have to trek up and down stairs when nature calls in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The challenge of moving things like bath fixtures via a spiral staircase can be mitigated by having a large window to use with pulleys / lifts / cranes.

That said, the broader issues, of daily hassle of having steps between bath and master bedroom, are probably something that you REALLY should consider -- if you have encounter any mobility issues this really becomes a huge negative.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Very bad idea. They are dangerous as hell. Spiral staircases really should only be used where there is another, easily navigable stairway present or maybe to a small loft space or to a garden from a deck (again, with another way to access it. It sounds absolutely horrible to try to navigate one in the middle of the night or when your feet are wet!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I had a relative with a ginormous house with a regular staircase and a spiral staircase.

The spiral staircase was an accident waiting to happen. I think I used it a couple of times and then avoided it. They are a lot more difficult to walk up and down than a regular staircase.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Hate spiral staircases. Try to build something with a few turns and landings to it- maybe get it to hug a wall.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I had a friend with a beautiful home. Her staircase was spiral, and I hated it because there's just something about moving in a downward direction while moving in a circle that makes me want to throw up. It's probably just me.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:30 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Very bad idea. They are dangerous as hell. Spiral staircases really should only be used where there is another, easily navigable stairway present or maybe to a small loft space or to a garden from a deck (again, with another way to access it. It sounds absolutely horrible to try to navigate one in the middle of the night or when your feet are wet!
I lived in an NYC loft with a spiral staircase. My bedroom was upstairs and the bathroom was down. I never had an issue. My staircase had textured treads that gripped your feet. There are a million designs out there.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I lived in an NYC loft with a spiral staircase. My bedroom was upstairs and the bathroom was down. I never had an issue. My staircase had textured treads that gripped your feet. There are a million designs out there.
I'm just sayin' I'm an architect and we basically cannot ever spec one in any residential space except in very limited circumstances as I described, or one so large in diameter that if effectively defeats the space saving purpose of one. What you are describing would be met with a "Are you freaking kidding?!" At my city's building department.

We are all about life safety design and they are exceedingly dangerous.

Not to say most of us have not successfully traversed more than a few in our lives but it only takes one bad fall from one to change your life forever.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Somehow I am imagining you being upstairs after a bath and trying to go down stairs encountering those textured treads in your barefeet. Ouch! So instead you wear your thong shoes. Oops, just took a header down the stairs! But maybe you could limit the spiral staircase to the up direction. Then, add a fireman's pole for the down direction. No shoes needed if it lands you in your bed .

Old 09-26-2017, 06:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Check your local building codes. Typically a spiral staircase isn't allowed if it is the only means of access to a floor. And most building codes require a spiral stair with at least 5', which may require quite a lot of structural work to enlarge the opening to 5'.

I can see how a personal dressing room and bathroom might be very desirable, but it's a very personal choice so just keep in mind that it won't add to the house value and may actually detract from it. Most people don't like spiral stairs and dual master baths isn't something most people look for in a home. Many buyers would probably prefer that the attic space be used for something different, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating