Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Every time I move, I sell lots of furniture, keep a few key pieces and start mostly over. Part of this is because I get bored, but its also sometimes just better to start over in a new space where things may not fit or look as good as they did elsewhere. Rugs are often totally changed out or rotated to new rooms. There is typically a new sofa for every new house.

My sister bought nice quality furniture when she was married 18 years ago and has not changed it since. She will probably redo her house when she retires a decade or 15 years from now, but until then, its the same stuff.

Do you change your furniture often or do you buy a set and use it until it wears out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I have pieces that go back a century in our family. Some a few years more than that.

Can't afford to buy new all the time.

Craigslist is great for finding like new. Our dining table came that way about 4 years ago.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
In 47 years of marriage I've had. three living room sodas. I've had 4 or 5 family room sofas.

In a few days we will call a woodworker to refinish the coffee table we've had since 1995 or so.

We've lived in 4 different houses, but we've never bought a new sofa right after a move.

We used the same bedroom suite from 1970 till 2012.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
People who buy high-end top quality timeless looking furniture don't get bored with them easily. Stuff that cost thousands of dollars, and has superior craftsmanship just can't be replaced every move. And why?
Cheap or trendy furniture, on the other hand, gets boring, looks used fast, or doesn't fit with new trends, and one doesn't feel any personal attachment to it.
That's why I don't follow the short living trends, and the only time I would think to sell any of mine would be a downsizing. But then, I have son who would gladly try to put them in his house.
There are other ways to update the interior - with paint, trims and accessories.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I like the idea of seeing things with a fresh eye when moving to a new place. I have kept some things that I like, and bought some new things in every place I've lived.
When moving from north to south, there were many things that were just too visually heavy for the southern, beachy vibe.
I think we change as we age, and our surroundings should reflect us.
Like Oprah once said. Your hairdo might have looked good in the 70s, but that doesn't mean you should still be wearing it now. Same with your furniture.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People who buy high-end top quality timeless looking furniture don't get bored with them easily. Stuff that cost thousands of dollars, and has superior craftsmanship just can't be replaced every move. And why?
Cheap or trendy furniture, on the other hand, gets boring, looks used fast, or doesn't fit with new trends, and one doesn't feel any personal attachment to it.
That's why I don't follow the short living trends, and the only time I would think to sell any of mine would be a downsizing. But then, I have son who would gladly try to put them in his house.
There are other ways to update the interior - with paint, trims and accessories.
We have never been keen on the current trends having definite taste in the Bauhaus classics.

Did without or improvised with home made until we could afford what we love.
We now have some classic Eames, Nelson, Noguchi and Le Corbusier and will not part with them.

Daughter is a Wayfare kinda gal though.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We have never been keen on the current trends having definite taste in the Bauhaus classics.

Did without or improvised with home made until we could afford what we love.
We now have some classic Eames, Nelson, Noguchi and Le Corbusier and will not part with them.

Daughter is a Wayfare kinda gal though.
Some people just want new, trendy things every few years, and don't care about quality. That's why we have so many threads about whats the newest trend, although Eames, Nelson, Noguchi and Le Corbusier never look outdated.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:47 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
High end pieces we keep and all rugs. SO pretty good at making Shaker style benches and stools. Last week he made one to fit as sofa table between sofa and hall way to have a place for a bit of Halloween stuff. No chests, bookshelves, display cases, ....

Old 09-28-2017, 05:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Upholstered furniture I tend to replace every 5 to 10 years just because in my mind it's dirty by then, even if it looks new. Hardwood and metal I keep indefinitely but every time we move, we downsize so inevitably more stuff will go.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We replace upholstered furniture, like the poster above, every 5-10 years or so (but we only have two pieces that are upholstered, now that I think of it). But we have leather sofas, which I love, and we've had them both for years. They look as good as the day we bought them. I'm a big believer in good quality leather furniture. I "update" those with new pillows, throws, lamps, etc.

We have antique dining room furniture and will probably never replace that. We also have several antique pieces scattered around, a few antique lamps, etc.

I have a closet full of throw pillows, throws, and seasonal doodads and linens. That's how I freshen up things. I even switch out some wall hangings through the year.

We are on our second set of master bedroom furniture though (in 12 years) - in our previous house we had a huge master suite and bought huge furniture. It was too big and overpowering for the smaller master when we moved 4 years ago.

I change out accessories but don't change out "main" furniture often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating