Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

I find grey/gray boring as S#!T!
Reminds me of the Navy ships- "Battle Ship Grey"

Everywhere I've been lately that has furniture, accessories, or other decor I've noticed a severe addiction to gray! What is wrong with these "millenials"? It's so friggin' boring! If I hear it's a "neutral color" one more time...!

White and Black are neutral- mixing white and black together to make grey is not neutral- it's insanely boring!

Ok- rant over. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
I recall that gray was popular in the 80s so not wanting to go there again. I like a nice, creamy off-white with natural light wood floors. Color can happen with rugs and accessories instead.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Well I will throw my hat in the ring and stand up for grey. I really prefer all whites but I like a grey with it. Color is and should be personal. I hate when color becomes a trend and is "in style". Nature doesn't do that, it has its colors and doesn't kick out one because it's boring and like another because it's more fun. I take a note from nature and use what I want without any fear of reprisal.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:31 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I'm not a big fan of gray especially here in Florida, maybe if I lived in a cold climate I might consider it. I just had the inside of my house painted Sherwin Williams "panda white", however it's really more of a light beige and I'm doing white trim and ceiling. The previous owner had it painted a dingy beige from top to bottom including the ceiling and baseboards. It looks so much brighter & cleaner now. Since the house is less than 1200 sq. ft. I didn't want to put anything dark on the walls. I will use color in my accessories.

The outside was a hideous dark green with a black roof & white shutters. It is now a whiter/cream color and I bought black shutters and I'm painting the front door a red color. My future neighbors are already thanking me for getting rid of the green. :-)

Old 09-30-2017, 08:54 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I find grey/gray boring as S#!T!
Not as boring to me as cheapskate contractor-grade white. The rest is a matter of personal taste of course, but there's still a reason why a white flag means surrender.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
My living room walls are 'greige', which isn't a color I would have chosen, but it's not bad.

Having said that, after two years of living with it.....I'm looking to make a change. I've been using an app to play with various colors just to see what might work best. I've found I'm leaning towards blues for the living room. Still playing with colors for the kitchen, however.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Ivory and cream are nice. I've lived in so many rentals though that I'm sick of neutral wall colors. Neutral walls are for landlords.

My problem with modern interiors isn't with the choice of color, though, but rather with the shades of beige, brown, and gray that are commonly chosen. Why are paint colors that look like different shades of diarrhea so popular?

Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I use cream as my base neutral. True, rich creams, not washed out. I just love the cheerfulness and it makes it feel sunny. I actually love yellow but that's a little harder to use in a preowned house where you aren't picking things out fresh.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:11 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I like gray. Most of my house is painted the colors of my favorite sea shell - a light gray and beige. The gray I use looks like dry wall.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I personally like grey and it goes well with the grey and white furnishings as well as the silver-finished lamps.

I dislike beige, cream, brown, anything brownish at all.

If you have your own place and the money to do it, just go with what your own preferences are. You are the one who has to look at it every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating