Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
This isn’t a question of perfection. It’s a question of people who are dismissive of the OP’s problems. The fact that you frame this as a question of perfection suggests you either lack the maturity to address issues critically or you are more interested in snark. Or both, these options aren’t mutually exclusive. All the best.

whew. Ok.

Not dismissive of the OP problems. I don't see that there is an issue with the size or placement of the piece in question. I also do not see the piece as Inappropriate. People should enjoy what they like without being told that their taste is 'inappropriate'. Nor do I think that saying the people who do not have the same feelings about decor as "have nothing substantive to offer, on the internet and in life."

As far as maturity, I think I will take the mature way and not engage further in this little war of words on an internet forum.

Do have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 10:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Southbel has to live with this awareness daily.
That's right, the OP is living with it, not you, and it's not an eyesore to her. Your comments are not helpful.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Not dismissive of the OP problems. I don't see that there is an issue with the size or placement of the piece in question. I also do not see the piece as Inappropriate. People should enjoy what they like without being told that their taste is 'inappropriate'. [/b]
That you don’t see it as a problem is your prerogative. The OP lives in that space and understands the issue. She has even discussed the problem of the chair rail with her husband. Rather than filling this discussion with platitudes like “People should enjoy what they like”, I encourage you to re-read (or read) the comments and engage the OP’s problem with some focus and respect for her issue. You may disagree with her anxiety about the placement and try to change her mind, but platitudes will not achieve that.

All the best.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
In addition to my advice about grounding the space by putting a rug with red & some darks in it & the chair seats...

Paint the chair rail & the wainscoting below a richer mellower white. You may need experiment to get the right hue because it needs some vanilla in it to coordinate with the flooring & the dining set. But I'd definitely keep the chair rail.

I use antique oriental rugs everywhere but if you don't care from them, a primitive looking rag rug would work well. The room needs some darker colors at the bottom of the space to balance the black frame & red letters.

A dark wrought iron something like a weathervane on table would be interesting.

Use a very plain suede drape on metal rod, if you feel the need for one.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:05 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think I’m repeating, but I didn’t read all the posts. You need another color above the chair rail. The wall is the same color as the art. Yawn.

It doesn’t need to be a dark color, but just enough for some contrast. A pale gray/green or a pale gray/blue.

Whatever you choose, pick up a bit of the color in the drapes.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
I generally like it.

IMHO, most people go too 'small' with their art, hanging way-too-small framed works in a sea of open wall. I hate that look. So as a starting point I really like a wall-filling piece.

If I could wave a magic wand, though, I'd make the piece like 7% smaller. But you can't so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I might paint the space below the chair rail a slightly warmer off-white.

Something to replace the bundle of sticks, yes, as other have said.

Tabletop dressing is really easy and cheap to play with, as others have said.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I predict this isn’t an issue that is going to resolve with time alone.
I predict that, now that they have hung the beast, it will stay exactly where it is.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM

534 posts, read 489,342 times
I really like your sign! I agree with those who say a different wall color is being called for. For sure that's the route I would try before removing a chair rail or adding beadboard to wainscoting---what I call scope creep; the art piece that launched a remodel! I know you like white but there are so many shades of white that you can still have white and also contrast from the sign backboard. Your moldings are lovely and a slightly different shade on the walls would show them off better.

I imagined sitting at your table and I like the height of the sign just as it is, but a darker shade of pale on the walls would feel more grounding. For ideas for white on whites look at Farrow and Ball for guidance. Their very limited color palette make it much easier to choose, because even if you don't want Farrow and Ball paint, it helps you eliminate the overload of white choices offered by more readily-available brands. Analysis paralysis solved!

Your house is beautiful!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I predict that, now that they have hung the beast, it will stay exactly where it is.
My dear, there is no need to predict this. Southbel has already acknowledged this in a prior comment. The sign has to stay put, at least in the short term.

The cheapest strategy is really to leave it alone until they both come to terms with its placement or agree on doing something about the chair rails. In the interim, introducing contrast between the wall and the architectural elements (crown moulding and chair rail) will only make the problem worse, and you and I are on the same page on this point.

The frame has a three dimensional form that is hard to appreciate in photos. So do the crown moulding and chair rail. Southbel is already keenly aware of the height of the sign as it is, and quickly identified it as problematic for her even before commenting here. With each passing day, Southbel will take increasing notice the mass of the frame butting against the bulk of the crown moulding and chair rail. I predict this will gradually amplify her unease with the current placement, an unease that no amount of decorative tricks can mollify. She came here hoping to find ways to distract herself from her central issue with the sign’s placement. As she admitted, she will likely change things down the road. Deep down, she already knows this, and I think you do as well. After all, you already recognized the architectural elements create a visual problem that we’ve been discussing, and agree she shouldn’t worsen her problem by introducing contrast between the wall and the chair rail.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
My dear, there is no need to predict this. Southbel has already acknowledged this in a prior comment. The sign has to stay put, at least in the short term.

The cheapest strategy is really to leave it alone until they both come to terms with its placement or agree on doing something about the chair rails. In the interim, introducing contrast between the wall and the architectural elements (crown moulding and chair rail) will only make the problem worse, and you and I are on the same page on this point.

The frame has a three dimensional form that is hard to appreciate in photos. So do the crown moulding and chair rail. Southbel is already keenly aware of the height of the sign as it is, and quickly identified it as problematic for her even before commenting here. With each passing day, Southbel will take increasing notice the mass of the frame butting against the bulk of the crown moulding and chair rail. I predict this will gradually amplify her unease with the current placement, an unease that no amount of decorative tricks can mollify. She came here hoping to find ways to distract herself from her central issue with the sign’s placement. As she admitted, she will likely change things down the road. Deep down, she already knows this, and I think you do as well. After all, you already recognized the architectural elements create a visual problem that we’ve been discussing, and agree she shouldn’t worsen her problem by introducing contrast between the wall and the chair rail.
Wow, this REALLY matters to you, huh? I mean, to come back after I made a joke and type out all that condescension lol ...

The chair rail can easily become a non-issue. The sign looks great just where it is.

OP, you have found a very cool piece. Thanks for letting us weigh in on it. Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating