Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times

Advertisements

Buying a 2nd home so need to furnish it almost completely new. Last time that we bought new furniture was 2009 and prices seem quite a bit higher now.

We have been to several high / higher end stores and the prices are astronomical, then we went to Ash...Lees. Yuck, their is definitely a difference in quality. Guess I will check Liveing Space tomorrow which would mean actually buying in CA and moving to new home so not real excited about that.

We bought some things online in 09 but were able to see them at a store first so may go that route again.

Any other furniture stores that We should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My favorite furniture store for high quality is Baer's but I don't know if they are in your area. Rooms to Go is okay; I have purchased things from there and they have lasted other than a mattress. I would not recommend buying a mattress from them.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Buy your main pieces at a quality store. Sofas, beds, dining table is where you should sink some money. The rest can be fillers. I think the filler items you can pick up for reasonable amounts and almost anywhere. Homegoods and stores like them for accent tables, rugs lamps décor. Watch for sales too. For example Pottery Barn is having friends and family 20% off right now. Ethan Allen is having 30% off one item etc. You can use those to your advantage if you shop wisely. I would also consider checking out consignment stores for case goods or the local buy trade sell.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My favorite furniture store for high quality is Baer's but I don't know if they are in your area. Rooms to Go is okay; I have purchased things from there and they have lasted other than a mattress. I would not recommend buying a mattress from them.
Baer's is only in Florida. Thank you

Old 10-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Buy your main pieces at a quality store. Sofas, beds, dining table is where you should sink some money. The rest can be fillers. I think the filler items you can pick up for reasonable amounts and almost anywhere. Homegoods and stores like them for accent tables, rugs lamps décor. Watch for sales too. For example Pottery Barn is having friends and family 20% off right now. Ethan Allen is having 30% off one item etc. You can use those to your advantage if you shop wisely. I would also consider checking out consignment stores for case goods or the local buy trade sell.
Yep I agree with getting quality pieces for the main items. We have had pretty good luck today with Houzz and Beautiful rooms.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
https://www.roomandboard.com/more_wa..._locations.ftl

Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Considering the overwhelming majority of American made furniture comes from High Point and Hickory NC- it's almost worth a plane trip to get your furniture.

Then when it's all done, they'll ship wherever you like.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Called a local NW Arkansas furniture store today and feel pretty good about their products and prices. Rather than hide who the manufacturer is they post it right on their website which makes it easy to check online stores for value.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Do you need to furnish it completely right away?

If not, we've had very good luck finding pieces in local "Trash or Treasure" websites. You can sometimes find really well made pieces when people are moving or closing down an estate. This is also a good way to get unique pieces (I collect tropical and "British Colonial" pieces and they can be hard to find).

It takes time to furnish a house this way, though. And some cities probably have better sites than others. In Williamsburg we have a lot of retirees, which means a lot of wealthy estates that get liquidated. That may be why I've had success going this route.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Considering the overwhelming majority of American made furniture comes from High Point and Hickory NC- it's almost worth a plane trip to get your furniture.

Then when it's all done, they'll ship wherever you like.

100% true, and in this situation, well worth the time and airfare to do so. My folks did this back in 1999 for their new place in SW Florida. For roughly $25k, furnished their entire home that would ultimately become their retirement / golden years home roughly 8 years later. All of that furniture they bought back in 99', is still there and looks fantastic today. Sure, a sofa got recovered recently, but that's about it.

If you're doing up an entire home from scratch, Furniture Land in North Carolina is the way to go.

Everything costs more than 2009, especially items related to housing. 2009 was the pit of the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating