Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times

Advertisements

Not all that much for signs myself. Did have a charcoal rubbing of Shakespeare's tombstone over the master bed for a number of years. Nicely matted and framed, but it somehow got replaced when that room was taken over by my daughter. Now there are only two signs that I can think of, both in my walk-in closet: A tavern-style wooden "Beer -- So Much More Than Just A Breakfast Drink" sign on the way in, and a replica Nawlins P.D. tin street sign "Beware Pickpockets and Loose Women" on the way out. I don't have any real attachment to them though. They are just there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have two signs in our home, one in the living room I bought that says
"Exposure to the Son may prevent burning"
and the other one Mr. CSD bought for me that says
"I'm a real Witch with or without coffee"
That one hangs in our bedroom.
They mean nothing to anyone but us.
Otherwise we do not have signs but I may get a few for the kitchen that says something about Coffee 5 cents or similiar.
Our kitchen is coffee themed sort of.
That's a great theme for a kitchen. I forgot we have a coffee bar, and a friend gave us a rug that says "Peace, Love, Coffee." Not really something I would say (I think she gave it to me to see how much I would roll my eyes, LOL). But ever since we put it down we've gotten into the habit of saying it ironically from time to time. So it's become part of the general good cheer in the kitchen. Also, fits the coffee bar area perfectly so we'll keep it (at least until it wears out).

Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's a great theme for a kitchen. I forgot we have a coffee bar, and a friend gave us a rug that says "Peace, Love, Coffee." Not really something I would say (I think she gave it to me to see how much I would roll my eyes, LOL). But ever since we put it down we've gotten into the habit of saying it ironically from time to time. So it's become part of the general good cheer in the kitchen. Also, fits the coffee bar area perfectly so we'll keep it (at least until it wears out).
Thank you. We thought it was better being coffee themed than farm animals but coffee is more important to us than farm animals. Some of the farm animals, apples, etc. themes are very cute though just not right for us. Coffee is important to me because I drink coffee all the time and coffee is important to Mr. CSD even though he is not a coffee drinker, coffee makes me happy which makes him happy...LOL

PS ~~ The gift from your friend sounds perfect and fun for your kitchen.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
lol, found the person who thinks they're better than everyone else...
Thanks for helping prove my point, Brian. lol

Yet another reason people reach for the most accessible and don't always pursue fine art: The fear of being called a snob, like this.

Quote:
Who's to say What is "real art" and what isn't?
Plenty of people have made careers of doing just that.

Quote:
Are photos I take myself, print, mat, frame and display not "real art" if I enjoy them?
I don't know. I have not seen them.

Quote:
What if I studied under Ansel Adams?
Did you?

Anyone can take a photo. Not everyone can produce "art."

Quote:
how can a person say that those tacky word displays don't invoke an emotional response in others?
Mass murder evokes an emotional response, too. Fortunately that's not the only qualification.
Quote:
The beauty of Art is that there are no boundaries.
There are standards, though.

Quote:
Absolutely anything can be "real art"
Not really. I can call myself the Queen of England all day long. Doesn't make it true.

Quote:
Sure, and to thumb your nose in that manor indicates... well, nothing good.
I wasn't thumbing my nose at it. I have plaques with phrases on them in my house. One of them:

You jumped off, for some reason.

Quote:
People buy and display that stuff because they want to fit in, follow a trend, be like everyone else. They do it because it makes them feel good.
I do the same thing.

And so you've arrived at the actual definition of what the OP was describing:

Quote:
Doesn't mean the trend is anything but dead... the days are numbered before it stinks like orange shag carpet.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM

534 posts, read 489,342 times
I had a collection of mismatched vintage letters that I used to spell out "You are so beautiful to me" in a shop I had. But when it came to using them in my house...it felt weird: "What am I doing? Do I want to command people to do something? Is it an adjective? An adverb? What?!?" Yeah...no letters in my home for me. But my sister, who lived in a very modern downtown loft, borrowed enough letters to say "Bacon" in her kitchen. It made me laugh because it made sense per her family!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
OMG. I just logged back in and realized that my status is the sign I have in my home. At least I am consistent.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Do I need to sell my Thomas Kinkade and "Wind, Waves, Wine" sign made out of corks?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
I've got quotes in my room but they are literary, print outs framed,one says "I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame" by Yeats and
"Assemble yourself with wild things, with songs of the sparrow and sea-foam. Let mad beauty collect itself in your eyes and it will shine - Calling me. For I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame." I have a little one that says "I am waiting for someone to really discover America and wail" from the poetry foundation.

Id like my favourite poems and my own scribed by a calligrapher on etsy on handmade paper to frame about the place like this by holly Anna calligraphy.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/4929...home_active_15

Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Chiming in again to say that even the Mona Lisa evokes wows and mehs, but that doesn't mean it isn't art just that it doesn't appeal to you. Maybe 35 or more years ago I went on a field trip with some high school kids to the Metropolitan Museum of art. I was both amazed as well as amused as I listened to folks talk about what a certain piece "said" to them. Some of them merely walked by and looked and shrugged while others were ecstatic over a piece. The curve of a line or a straight line or a smirk or wrinkle in the facial features each meant something different about the piece to each of these people.

So art is truly subjective and while I don't love all kinds of art, in my mind, it is your home so put it on the wall or don't, you are paying the bills so do what you want.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
It sounds like your friend has a collection that she enjoys. People collect all kinds of things. Who are you to go online and try to humiliate her for displaying her collection in her own home?

I've often seen displaying collections as a suggestion from decorators when it comes to giving a house character and personality. Maybe not always an entire collection, but again, it's her house so hats off to her for displaying things that she loves.

I agree! This welcomed guest sat in a home mentally cataloging the décor in order to come online and criticize it, item by item. What kind of "friend" does that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating