Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,510,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Mine over the pantry: but first ... COFFEE

I'm sure my kitchen will give the OP conniption fits.
OOOOH THE HUMANITY!

Just kidding. Cute sign by the way! And I like the color of your walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My mother and my aunt had a fight once when I was a kid. As a "kiss and make up" gift, my aunt gave my mom a sign that said, "Lord, keep my words tender as one day I may have to eat them." My mom gushed, "Oh, thank you so much." and pounded a nail in the wall and hung that sucker up.

I painted a sign that hangs by our front door. It says, "Reality Continues to Ruin My Life." I like to think the mail delivery person smiles, at least, when he's dumping my bills in my mailbox.
Someone else that paints signs!

I think I described this sign but here's a picture of it, along with my very ugly dog who looks fierce but would only lick you to death if given the chance. This sweet baby girl dog! She loves pacing up and down this retaining wall but the only thing she's on the lookout for is squirrels.

And ugh, this was before we replaced the fence and repaired the retaining wall and power washed it and planted stuff. So the second picture (minus the dog, though she's still alive and well) is of the wall and sign now. It looks much better, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating with signs/inspirational quotes-josie-wall-bigger.jpg   Decorating with signs/inspirational quotes-wall-fence-sign.jpg  

Old 10-11-2017, 03:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,882,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
No need to be hostile. Sometimes its painful to understand what others think of decorating choices. I wasn't even the first person to make this point. I am sure that your home is lovely to you.
I don't use the signs with sayings. I was not talking about me.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,318,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OOOOH THE HUMANITY!

Just kidding. Cute sign by the way! And I like the color of your walls.

Thanks

Quote:
Someone else that paints signs!

I think I described this sign but here's a picture of it, along with my very ugly dog who looks fierce but would only lick you to death if given the chance. This sweet baby girl dog! She loves pacing up and down this retaining wall but the only thing she's on the lookout for is squirrels.

And ugh, this was before we replaced the fence and repaired the retaining wall and power washed it and planted stuff. So the second picture (minus the dog, though she's still alive and well) is of the wall and sign now. It looks much better, I think.
Awww cute sign!

What is the name of that plant in the far right in your planting area? The leaves get HUGE if it's what I'm thinking of. I just don't know the name of it. Wondering if it will grow in Florida...

Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Thanks

Awww cute sign!

What is the name of that plant in the far right in your planting area? The leaves get HUGE if it's what I'm thinking of. I just don't know the name of it. Wondering if it will grow in Florida...

Giant Elephant Ears. And I am sure they will grow in Florida!

Be sure you get the giant ones though. They come in a big bulb and you just plant it - I think any time before spring. The bulb for this one was as big as my clenched fist. You can get a lot of different sizes.

This is the second year for this one - the first year it wasn't as big (as you can tell in the first picture, which was spring of last year). I was like "Hey, I wanted a GIANT elephant ear plant!" This year it totally delivered. I love it - so thank you~!

Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,318,254 times
Quote:
Giant Elephant Ears. And I am sure they will grow in Florida!

Be sure you get the giant ones though. They come in a big bulb and you just plant it - I think any time before spring. The bulb for this one was as big as my clenched fist. You can get a lot of different sizes.

This is the second year for this one - the first year it wasn't as big (as you can tell in the first picture, which was spring of last year). I was like "Hey, I wanted a GIANT elephant ear plant!" This year it totally delivered. I love it - so thank you~!
I will definitely look for it here. Since we don't have a winter, bet it will get huge quickly. Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,339,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What is your opinion of this trend? I find it really trite and distracting, full disclosure. I don't know that this is a style I would use, but if I lived in an old farmhouse, I might be more open to a vintage "fresh eggs" sign in the kitchen, ONE sign. Maybe. I see these sorts of signs in shops and online everywhere-- someone must be buying them.
I’m not a fan. Some people like posters and put up posters with thumb tacks all over their homes. Some people like dolls, lots of dolls, and display their doll collections in common living spaces. Some people like horses and have horse-themed art all over. Some people like inspirational phrases/word art and display them in every room.

When I encounter overuse of any decorative item, I cease to appreciate the item. Instead, I wonder if it is a case of failure to edit or if the excessive use meets a psychological need.

Last edited by hellopity; 10-11-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,443,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I’m not a fan. Some people like posters and put up posters with thumb tacks all over their homes. Some people like dolls, lots of dolls, and display their doll collections in common living spaces. Some people like horses and have horse-themed art all over. Some people like inspirational phrases/word art and display them in every room.

When I encounter overuse of any decorative item, I cease to appreciate the item. Instead, I wonder if it is a case of failure to edit or if the excessive use meets a psychological need.
Exactly.
Horses.
Dolls.
Dogs.
Cats.
Cows (remember the cow print thing? Shudder.)
Hearts (wallpaper border from 1989 anyone?)

The list goes on.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,070,940 times
I hate framed inspirational quotes.

Don't tell me to live like dragons. Don't tell me to relax. Don't tell me to live, love, and laugh.

It is correct to characterize these as nagging.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,664,883 times
The style makes me want to puke.
All over the matching distressed cabinetry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating