Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

I would not paint the woodwork. I'm one of those annoying anti-paint people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Pine is soft wood. Cheap. Scratches and dents. Even our founding fathers knew to paint it.
Not all pine; decades' worth of homes have pine floors that are holding up just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would not paint the woodwork. I'm one of those annoying anti-paint people.

Not all pine; decades' worth of homes have pine floors that are holding up just fine.
My daughter just repaired a few boards in a Southern heart pine floor. She had to ship it from GA to MO for $1000. I hear it’s not readily available, except for reclaimed.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Ii did not say 'paneled", I said 'diagonal' strips of wood, stained to match the trim, at least 8" wide. Maybe you are thinking of the old tongue and groove knotty pine. And yes, you will find diagonally paneled rooms in historic homes.

"Panel the walls": not. That will close in the space, quite passe, and will darken the room and take away from the front wall which has a pretty door -- and it went out of style a very long time ago; like the paneled 'rumpus' room. Actually I would have some subtle stained glass design in those doors, or the 'crystal' design on clear glass to 'make the room'.

I would make that front wall the focal point of the room with a nice mosaic design (not those broken chips of colored glass which is uglier than sin). I'm talking about a true quality artwork design.

Over the years I have listed and sold so many homes of every style, that it's impossible to figure. Maybe 3,000 or so (some true makeovers, some slap/dash cheaply built tract houses, and some very high end); and have worked with builders, investors, designers and decorators. Too much wood is always out of style and in poor taste.
Lordy. You can't actually think I'm talking about the cheap passe rec room type of paneling.

I'm talking about the kind that looks substantial, which is never out of style as long as it fits the room and decor. Not all paneling is dark, and the furniture chosen usually compliments and contrasts with the wood. For instance, a paneled room is a great place to bring in some painted furniture and fresh colors.

Some of my background is in high-end furniture and I have worked directly with designers in a design studio. I've yet to see diagonal wood installed by a designer or featured in a design magazine. They also tend to treat all the walls in a room the same. If I bought a house with one wall of wood and the rest regular, I'd tear down that wood "focal point" before you could blink.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

It depends upon what color you paint the walls. Right now, the blah wood trim stands out, but if you make the walls dark, the wood will disappear.
I was thinking the same.

We need to know what style the OP wants. Some styles might mean wall colors that could harmonize with the wood trim. Other colors would fight it.

Also, the ceilings are low and the wood emphasizes the horizontal lines of the room, which isn't ideal in a room with low ceilings.

When you have this situation, it's best to paint the walls and ceiling the same color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating