Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Need some input on this. We have a parlor/sitting room. I'd love to add an electric fireplace at the location where the console table is currently. I'm trying to achieve a cozy, intimate effect. There is a 75 gal aquarium to the right, and a sofa to the left. As you can see, a pocket door takes up the north wall and the south is a bay window, so the location where the table is currently is the only location I could put the fireplace. My concern is that the sofa is jutting out in front of the fireplace, partially obscuring it, and is only maybe a foot and a half away. I could put a stove instead of a fireplace at the same location, but again, aesthetically speaking the sofa would largely obscure it. I cant move the sofa because it's centered under the mirror. I can't put the stove anywhere else either due to doors, the fish tank, window, etc.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace or Stove location-parlor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
If you want to add a fireplace then you would have to lose the fish. It would not fit anywhere else. Don't over clutter the room.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there. Need some input on this. We have a parlor/sitting room. I'd love to add an electric fireplace at the location where the console table is currently. I'm trying to achieve a cozy, intimate effect. There is a 75 gal aquarium to the right, and a sofa to the left. As you can see, a pocket door takes up the north wall and the south is a bay window, so the location where the table is currently is the only location I could put the fireplace. My concern is that the sofa is jutting out in front of the fireplace, partially obscuring it, and is only maybe a foot and a half away. I could put a stove instead of a fireplace at the same location, but again, aesthetically speaking the sofa would largely obscure it. I cant move the sofa because it's centered under the mirror. I can't put the stove anywhere else either due to doors, the fish tank, window, etc.

Thanks.
Hi! Without seeing the rest of the room or knowing its dimensions, my first thought was to put the sofa in front of the bay window. Depending on the window (is it with a ledge or with a seat?) and the size of the room this could look nice. Then your fireplace spot might work better. Again, hard to know without seeing the rest of the room.

For me, if I were putting a fireplace or stove in the room, I would actually want a full view of it. Plus, you'd have a better view of the aquarium and the lovely pocket door by moving the sofa to the south wall. If that works you can use the console table under the mirror. But if you leave the sofa where it is I wouldn't bother with a fireplace or stove in that room because it would be too cramped in that corner/area.

Good luck and thanks for asking us.

Last edited by geebabe; 01-02-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 03:10 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Thank you both for your input. I've attached another photo so that the fish tank is included. I thought about moving the sofa but unfortunately it's a fullsize sofa that requires the longest wall in the room (that one). There's a loveseat in front of the window. The room itself I think is 11 x 15 or something like that. We're going to install another crown level in there too and we're getting a new coffee table. I really want a fire place but I think kab may be right - either the fish tank or the fireplace and the tank and stand cost $$ so...

ETA just noticed our dog photobombing
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace or Stove location-parlor2.jpg  

Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Thank you both for your input. I've attached another photo so that the fish tank is included. I thought about moving the sofa but unfortunately it's a fullsize sofa that requires the longest wall in the room (that one). There's a loveseat in front of the window. The room itself I think is 11 x 15 or something like that. We're going to install another crown level in there too and we're getting a new coffee table. I really want a fire place but I think kab may be right - either the fish tank or the fireplace and the tank and stand cost $$ so...

Hopefully you've already thought of this, but placing a stove or fireplace would involve more than aesthetics....you also need to consider the safe zone around it. It will produce heat that can damage furniture or even ignite upholstery. The installation references will tell you the minimum distance it has to be from other furnishings and what sort of insulation you need to install. That will probably make or break what you can do in that room. The fish aquarium may get too warm for the fish depending on what you have in it. You might even need to add a water chiller...not cheap.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:14 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,010 times
Quote:

Ohhhh... now I get it. Thanks for the extra picture. Unfortunately, you might have to nix the fireplace idea since 11 x 15 doesn't seem like a large enough space for everything you want in there. But you know what you like and the space you live in, so there's that.

Also, AllisonHB brought up some good points you have to work into the plan.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
No. I think a fireplace should look as if it was meant to be the centerpiece of the room. The room looks narrow, and the wall space you have simply won't look right.

In terms of safety, I've slept in a bedroom with an electric fireplace, and I did not feel that I was in any danger. Isn't an electric fireplace different from a space heater? If no, then I agree with the safety issues. If yes, then I think the main objection is that there is no good place in the room for an electric fireplace.

It is possible that there is room if you move the aquarium out of the room.

But to me, the room looks too small for a fireplace. I mean, it might get really hot in such a small room.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,193,739 times
You have a very pretty parlor, I would leave it alone. You don't want to make it feel too small by adding more things like a fireplace.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 636,672 times
If you want a fireplace put it where the fish tank is. That is the only place.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hopefully you've already thought of this, but placing a stove or fireplace would involve more than aesthetics....you also need to consider the safe zone around it. It will produce heat that can damage furniture or even ignite upholstery. The installation references will tell you the minimum distance it has to be from other furnishings and what sort of insulation you need to install. That will probably make or break what you can do in that room. The fish aquarium may get too warm for the fish depending on what you have in it. You might even need to add a water chiller...not cheap.
I totally agree with all of this. My electric fireplace requires a three-foot safety zone around it for soft furnishings such as upholstery, draperies, etc. It puts out a lot of heat so temperature control for the aquarium could be problematic. I only turn the heating function on for short periods when I want to warm up the family room without heating up the whole house. Mine (can't remember the name - got it at Lowe's ten years ago) does allow just the flame function without heat so the ambience is there. But there is still the location factor without crowding the room. From the photos I can't see where it could go and not be too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating