Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Air freshener are unhealthy for your lungs, and been proven to cause cancer or lung elements ! If your home doesn't smell good it's best to air the place out, not mask odors! If your dealing with pet, etc odors rent or buy an Ozone Machine!

Ozone shock treatment is a powerful method of odor elimination without the use of chemicals or masking deodorizers. Just place the ozone machine in the space, set the dial and vacate the area during treatment. Then return to an odor free environment.
She didn’t say anything about buying air fresheners, she asked about potpourri. Which is quite frequently all natural.
Flowers, herbs, fruit peel, spices, orris root as a fixative and some natural essential oils. Easy to make too.

The potpourri I linked to is also natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 05:11 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The kind that comes in bags and can either be placed in a potpurri burner or just loose in a basket or bowl?
They used to be seen everwhere in stores by the air-fresheners, now with so many using scented candles they are hard to find.
You also might consider reed diffusers with essential oils.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
You also might consider reed diffusers with essential oils.
This is what we use. They're great in winter too, as they are like miniature humidifiers. Peppermint, spearmint, and wintergreen are our favorite oils. Makes the place smell so very clean, and clears up any sinus issues too.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
For those using scented candles or burning oil to get a pleasing fragrance, you might want to quit. I handled houses in litigation here for the Courts. I got to see a lot of things most would never know about. One home owner was having issues with the A/C filter getting black almost over night and sued the builder. The Court asked me to investigate. The first thing I noticed in the house was that everything was dingy. But I changed the filter and made an appointment to be back in 3 days. I came back and sure enough, the A/C filter was black. Took it to a research center here for analysis. Came back as candle soot. The home owner had burnt so many scented candles that the house was literally covered in smoke damage from them. So be careful about how you go about getting a pleasing scent in the home. Some of the essential oils are a known respiratory irritant when combined with the ambient air. Do the research and make no assumptions.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
I stumbled upon a device this past summer that has turned out to be the greatest odor killer in my home ever. It's called a UV light that is an easy DIY install to your HVAC system (even comes with install instructions that are literally about 4 steps to do).

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-UV1...ywell+uv+light

I installed one in each exchange. I originally did this because I was cleaning the evaporator coils of the units to get rid of the moldy smell from the ac. These will keep the mold from coming back. But as an added bonus - It also kills off over 90% of the airborne germs and viruses and allergies that pass through the system and back out into the home. What this has also done, is killed off the odor particles that get through too. After a short while, and since the air eventually cycles through the system many times in general, you'll find that your house will smell completely fresh and clean!

We have a cat who thinks it's a Teamster. We have two little kids who never saw a mess they didn't love. We used to stink to high heavens quite often and it would drive me insane. Tried the odor plug ins and what nots, even tried a few drops of scented oils onto new HVAC filters. All worked for a little while and then would simply fade away or be overtaken by the rest of the family stink. Now, if Teamster Kitty drops off a load in the litter box, or the kids do what kids do and I want to clear the air, all I have to do is go to my phone and use my Ecobee application to turn on the hvac house fan to stir the air up. In about 2 minutes, all odors are gone.

Whenever we're not here for say 12 hours, and we come walking back into the house for the first time, it smells absolutely fantastic in the sense that it smells almost like a brand new construction home, even though it's now 18 years old.

I simply can not recommend these UV lights enough! They are by far one of my all-time favorite finds, and can promise you that I will always have one in my hvac system going forward.

Bonus - used to be that when one kid would get sick, we'd all get sick with the same eventually. Since putting these lights in the system back in July, that has stopped happening. When one gets sick, it's just that one. Now, yes we're cleaning up the place the best we can (Lysol the remotes, door handles, etc.), but we always did that in the past too and would still get sick. Only difference has been two UV lights in our dual zone system.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I stumbled upon a device this past summer that has turned out to be the greatest odor killer in my home ever. It's called a UV light that is an easy DIY install to your HVAC system (even comes with install instructions that are literally about 4 steps to do).

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-UV1...ywell+uv+light

I installed one in each exchange. I originally did this because I was cleaning the evaporator coils of the units to get rid of the moldy smell from the ac. These will keep the mold from coming back. But as an added bonus - It also kills off over 90% of the airborne germs and viruses and allergies that pass through the system and back out into the home. What this has also done, is killed off the odor particles that get through too. After a short while, and since the air eventually cycles through the system many times in general, you'll find that your house will smell completely fresh and clean!

We have a cat who thinks it's a Teamster. We have two little kids who never saw a mess they didn't love. We used to stink to high heavens quite often and it would drive me insane. Tried the odor plug ins and what nots, even tried a few drops of scented oils onto new HVAC filters. All worked for a little while and then would simply fade away or be overtaken by the rest of the family stink. Now, if Teamster Kitty drops off a load in the litter box, or the kids do what kids do and I want to clear the air, all I have to do is go to my phone and use my Ecobee application to turn on the hvac house fan to stir the air up. In about 2 minutes, all odors are gone.

Whenever we're not here for say 12 hours, and we come walking back into the house for the first time, it smells absolutely fantastic in the sense that it smells almost like a brand new construction home, even though it's now 18 years old.

I simply can not recommend these UV lights enough! They are by far one of my all-time favorite finds, and can promise you that I will always have one in my hvac system going forward.

Bonus - used to be that when one kid would get sick, we'd all get sick with the same eventually. Since putting these lights in the system back in July, that has stopped happening. When one gets sick, it's just that one. Now, yes we're cleaning up the place the best we can (Lysol the remotes, door handles, etc.), but we always did that in the past too and would still get sick. Only difference has been two UV lights in our dual zone system.

Great info, thanks!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
We use a Scentsy, sure it's a name brand but it's been our favorite. My wife was bummed when we broke the last one so we got another and have been using it constantly. You don't have to buy their little cubes you can get them at Walmart or anywhere cheaper, and it uses an incandescent bulb instead of a flame. Plus you want more scent, add another cube and cleanup is a breeze just warm it up slightly and the wax slides right out so you can add a different one.

We have one in our family room with a vaulted ceiling up to and open second floor and it fills the whole room with a soft scent. Plus you have tons of options and won't have to deal with reeds and oil bottles or candles. Leave it on by mistake and it's no different than leaving a lamp on honestly.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I have a feeling OP wouldn't like that anymore than a scented candle!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:08 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
We use a Scentsy, sure it's a name brand but it's been our favorite. My wife was bummed when we broke the last one so we got another and have been using it constantly. You don't have to buy their little cubes you can get them at Walmart or anywhere cheaper, and it uses an incandescent bulb instead of a flame. Plus you want more scent, add another cube and cleanup is a breeze just warm it up slightly and the wax slides right out so you can add a different one.

We have one in our family room with a vaulted ceiling up to and open second floor and it fills the whole room with a soft scent. Plus you have tons of options and won't have to deal with reeds and oil bottles or candles. Leave it on by mistake and it's no different than leaving a lamp on honestly.

I do like the idea of no flame, and that it can scent, such a good-size area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating