Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I am out of money after redoing my floors, painting everything, taking down a wall, doing granite, painting the cabinets, putting in new bathroom tub, faucets, and buying some furniture. The only thing left is the kitchen backsplash. I did want white subway tiles. I got an estimate but the guy is a handyman, not a tiler.

Just wondering if anyone ever did peel and stick backsplash in their kitchen? Was it easy? Did it look too cheap ? I could probably do this myself. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Ages and I mean ages ago I did peel and stick mirror tiles on a wall in our dining room. The trick is having clean walls. They did stick but I had a hard time cleaning them. The tape tabs were at the corners so leaning on the center to clean meant no support behind. I imagine the backsplash will get wiped often and I don't know how that'd impact them 'staying put.'

Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
You may want to consider the "tin ceiling" or "subway tile" flat panels as a money saver. Think like paneling. Not perfect but in your situation maybe a solution.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I did it in my last house (prepping it to be a rental, I knew I'd live there short term). Even with fanatical prep, tiles would come loose and need attention (tile adhesive for glue-down flooring). I suspect it would have been better to have bought tiles that needed to be glued down and just gone that route from the get-go.

We also used "soft touch" tiles, they collected grease like nothing else. The whole backsplash looked terrible after less than a year. Something to avoid.

It's not something I'd do to anything but the cheapest of homes though. Even painted walls would have more appeal to potential buyers IMHO.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I haven't done the peel and stick but there are a lot of options.

The biggest thing seems to be the wall prep before you put them up.
https://deavita.net/peel-and-stick-t...-and-cons.html

If you don't go with that you can also:

Paint would be your cheapest and easiest material for a backsplash. You can use any of the pre made 4x8 boards like bead board or peg board. How about wallpaper. MAybe use a sheet of laminate and use that.

Here are some other ideas:
30 Unique and Inexpensive DIY Kitchen Backsplash Ideas You Need To See

7 Budget Backsplash Projects | DIY

Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Getting my house ready to sell. Installed granite counters and, trying to limit how much more I am putting into it, I am using paintable beadboard wallpaper on the backsplash. I have regular beadboard panels under the chair rail, so it will tie-in. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Fr...5274/100625997 It would be an easy enough thing to remove down the road when you have the budget to do an upgrade.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Getting my house ready to sell. Installed granite counters and, trying to limit how much more I am putting into it, I am using paintable beadboard wallpaper on the backsplash. I have regular beadboard panels under the chair rail, so it will tie-in. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Fr...5274/100625997 It would be an easy enough thing to remove down the road when you have the budget to do an upgrade.

That's an interesting option. It would be easy to cut out for outlets etc. Is it easy to install?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:30 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I am out of money after redoing my floors, painting everything, taking down a wall, doing granite, painting the cabinets, putting in new bathroom tub, faucets, and buying some furniture. The only thing left is the kitchen backsplash. I did want white subway tiles. I got an estimate but the guy is a handyman, not a tiler.

Just wondering if anyone ever did peel and stick backsplash in their kitchen? Was it easy? Did it look too cheap ? I could probably do this myself. Maybe.
My adivce...Waite! Get what you really want, save up, besides it doesn't have be done right away!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 AM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
Install real subway tile yourself! Subway tile is CHEAP and really easy to do. My husband and I had never done tile before and we did the backsplash in a previous house in a weekend after watching some You Tube videos. (I even included a few rows of glass pencil tile as a liner since it was on sale at Lowe’s when we bought the subway tile.) We rented a wet saw for a day to do the few cuts needed (we did the classic running bond pattern so it was mostly full tiles) and did the whole backsplash for under $300.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I put peel-and-stick aluminum 1x2s "tiles" in sheets in my travel trailer around the stove - just slapped them on the wood surrounding the stovetop and it worked fine (2 years - and some hard roads - in).

But, really, tiling it yourself, as mentioned above, is not hard. You can buy the pre-mixed thinset and grout and you can even buy a relatively inexpensive tile cutter (looks like a cross between a paper cutter and a glass cutter).

Probably the hardest parts of tiling are learning how to get the right consistency in thinset and grout and figuring out where to start and how to deal with cutouts/non-square walls, etc. Mostly in a backsplash the hardest things are the outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating