Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

147 posts, read 216,071 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I recently purchased a home that we are fixing up. We had a pipe burst that has caused us to have some of the drywall removed to dry everything out. We are thinking of leaving the low beam exposed and possible putting shiplap on the wall behind it as an accent or either just exposing the beam and having it painted or stained. Our question is will that look odd with only one beam? In most pictures there are usually at least 2 beams.

How the beam would look finished
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	194273

How it looks now prior to fixing the walls, new paint, and floors
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	194272
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
No, the "dream picture" is NOT of the same kind of thing that you currently have "exposed" due to a burst pipe. What you have is a 2x8 sandwiched with some other dimensional lumber and utility type joist hangers. No amount of "paint or stain" will make generic dimensional look like a "design element". Actual "beams" that are typically used in "exposed" type scenarios have a "heft" to them that is distinctive from dimensional lumber. Such beams are either from older "rough hewn" milling and hand-worked processes (like a barn raising...) OR made specifically to highlight their chunky aspects...

Frankly trying to mix even actual "ship lap" with an unfinished floor joist is likely to make BOTH look much worse than if they were paired with the kids of material that truly is showcasing older tight grained wood...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If you think those design elements will work well with your decor choices- go for it.

It'll certainly look great from my house!

Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Paint the beam white or the ceiling color to blend in.
Paint it dark to make it stand out. This will 'lower' the ceiling.

To me beamed ceilings should be with soaring ceilings. Vaulted ceilings. Dark multiple beams on a low ceiling do nothing for me.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I agree the ceiling is too low to add a beam. I have beams in my house but my ceilings are 10 ft high.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 AM

64 posts, read 61,563 times
From what i can see of the two pictures you aren’t comparing apples to apples. Your inspiration picture has a beam separating two rooms, a Kirch and a dining area. The beam is a natural way to ad separation to those two spaces while adding character and interest. You beam looks like it was just part of a drop down drywall and the only thing behind it is a wall or alcove? If you were to do this it would only chop up the space you have. Not sure what is on either end of that header but il assume just walls. You mentioned ship lapping the wall behind the beam. Is there a reaso. You are trying to highlight this wall? What goes on this wall? What room is this in? Answering those questions might help us help you come up with the best design for the space.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I agree the ceiling is too low to add a beam.

Reading comprehension fail. The "beam" is already there. The OP just wants it to look like a solid wood beam; instead of a drywall wrapped dropped beam.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No, the "dream picture" is NOT of the same kind of thing that you currently have "exposed" due to a burst pipe. What you have is a 2x8 sandwiched with some other dimensional lumber and utility type joist hangers. No amount of "paint or stain" will make generic dimensional look like a "design element". Actual "beams" that are typically used in "exposed" type scenarios have a "heft" to them that is distinctive from dimensional lumber. Such beams are either from older "rough hewn" milling and hand-worked processes (like a barn raising...) OR made specifically to highlight their chunky aspects...

Frankly trying to mix even actual "ship lap" with an unfinished floor joist is likely to make BOTH look much worse than if they were paired with the kids of material that truly is showcasing older tight grained wood...
This. It is not a handsome beam. There is no aesthetic value to having it exposed, IMO.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This. It is not a handsome beam. There is no aesthetic value to having it exposed, IMO.

Well, there is one alternative. I hadn't mentioned it because I figured this would be short-lived and/or the
OP would see the light and agree with the majority.

The exposed drop beam could be wrapped with 1/2" oak veneer plywood with mitered corners giving it the look of a solid wood beam. But, I say put it back the way is was and call it a day- either way, as I previously mentioned, it'll look good from my house!

Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
The short answer is no. It looks like its a beam with maybe 2' of room behind it? That will look silly IMO. what is that space used for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating