Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 576 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of white ceilings.I painted my bathroom walls a blue/grey but looks more light blue.Any suggestions as to what color to paint the ceiling to down play the blue? I don't want to make it look even more blue !!....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
For a bathroom-
Keep it white. You want good lighting in a bath- a white ceiling gives reflective light reducing shadows.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I would also keep it white.

But if you want to paint it a color
How good is your lighting? Is your bathroom big?

Either go with a shade or 2 lighter than what you put on the walls. You can either go with a lighter blue or a lighter grey. If you go darker the bathroom would feel like it was closing in on you.

There are many many shades of white. How about a cream/white or a grey/white?

Or if you really don't like your walls I would repaint them. Be careful with greys as they can have a blue or purple color to them. Try more of a light silver.

Maybe one of these:

Old 01-28-2018, 01:43 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
For a bathroom-
Keep it white. You want good lighting in a bath- a white ceiling gives reflective light reducing shadows.
I'd agree. I also painted a bath a sort of grey blue but kept the ceiling white. As mentioned, its not the actual paint color that may make it too blue, its the way light reflects off of the walls and the ceiling. So, the room's lighting affects it quite a bit. Go very light if anything. You don't want a cave...and its surprisingly easy to create that cave effect !

Old 01-28-2018, 07:16 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I dont like white ceilings at all either, to me it makes it look like a lid on the room. I have creamy colored ceilings in all my rooms, the same color since white does not match any of my decor,

but, since you state you do lot really like white ceilings, im assuming none of your ceilings are white either (?) if theyare another neutral color, could the bathroom be that, to keep the house cohesive (?)

im also thinking with a pale gray/blue, go the palest blue/gray you can find. Is there a color chart you picked from where it has the same color but several shades?

also even if you painted it the same color as the walls, remember because of the lighting since it is a ceiling it will give it a different hue as the walls. JMO

or you can go my route and paint your ceiling a creamy which would also match blue / gray......again, all your preferance.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I painted my bedroom Nimbus Gray which registers blue. And I had the ceiling painted the same throughout the house, Ben Moore's Butter Pecan. But I wish I had used a different white for the blue bedroom. I should have chosen a very light blue. The contrast between the warmish Butter Pecan and the blue walls seems harsh to me. If I were you, I'd choose a very light blue. I've discovered by trial and error that the lightest tones of a color look white once they are painted on a ceiling. I know you don't like so much blue in the room, but you'll like it better if the colors harmonize, rather than being in harsh contrast.

Add some other colors that you really like to the blue room. You could warm it up with the right yellow, for instance. Again, stay away from harsh contrasts, since you really are not in love with the wall color.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergirl View Post
I am not a fan of white ceilings.I painted my bathroom walls a blue/grey but looks more light blue.Any suggestions as to what color to paint the ceiling to down play the blue? I don't want to make it look even more blue !!....thanks
What kind of lighting in terms of windows do you have, if any, and what type of lighting do you have? Mirror? How large? Is the doorway to the bath from a dark area or a well light area? Not asking for you to necessarily answer this here, but it all plays into how the color will be absorbed or reflected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating