Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 03:55 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I am just wondering if anyone has opinions, experiences, or a good website with some actual "real-world" data on how to seal/care for granite countertops.

I have done a few Google searches, and most of what I'm seeing is either arguments about whether or not granite needs to sealed, and lots and LOTS of cheap, spray-on sealers out there. Of course, the websites that are encouraging homeowners to seal their Granite are the same websites selling the sealers or sealing services.

We are building a house this spring, and had planned on using Quartz countertops, but our contractor has quoted considerably less for using Granite instead (I had always assumed that Granite was more expensive, but apparently I was wrong), so we are opting for the Granite in order to stay on budget.

Of course, now I'm reading all the horror stories about granite being easy to stain, and the To-Seal-Or-Not-To-Seal battle, and am totally overwhelmed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Most all granite is already sealed. If it is shiny, it is sealed.

I have granite that is sealed. I can't speak on staining because I have a dark granite. The things you have to careful of are acidic things. If left on it can harm the surface.

I use this product to make it shine like new: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Doctor-G.../dp/B002IKHEA4

Spray that on the granite, wipe with a clean paper towel then buff with a clean micro fiber cloth. My granite was a year old December 30th 2017. It still looks like new.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I dont know if my granite was ever sealed but it's shiny and, if Robino says all shiny granite is sealed, I wont disagree.

My granite was installed over 10 years ago and Ive never done any re-sealing. I use Clorox Wipes to clean it daily and it still looks as good today as it did 10+ years ago. It's a somewhat light color and I've never had a problem with staining. I have granite squares in my garden windows and they get a lot of abuse but they also still look like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for unbiased info on caring for Granite-home-kitchen-5.jpg   Looking for unbiased info on caring for Granite-home-christmas-cacti-01-01-2010  

Old 02-24-2018, 04:44 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Granite, one of natures most durable creations....

You could do nothing and the most that would happen is some discoloration.

Personally, after living with it for 5 years, I hate the stuff. Maybe it's just the high gloss black with the 1990's vibe, but it shows every fingerprint, crumb and spec of dust. Constant care is needed.... so I'm going after mine with a sander this summer to "hone" it to a matte finish.

As for sealing, I've done it twice... once when we bought the house and a couple years later. I don't think it needed it, but I had the sealer on hand and it's one of those projects that so stupidly easy, even a trained dog could do it. If you're of the opinion that 10 minutes of effort "just incase" is reasonable, then seal the granite yourself. As for a sealer, I can heartily recommend 511 Impregnator. We use it on our outside terra cotta tiles (open to the elements) and it does a FANTASTIC job. Seriously couldn't be happier, well... it's starting to look like it needs another coat 5 years on, so I could be happier if it were a once-n-done.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I love my granite but it is a darker color and as has already been said, it is just like stainless steel, it shows every smudge, fingerprint etc. I have three tempered glass cutting boards on it and that is where I do most of my work. Above all do not allow oil to drip on it. I had a bottle of olive oil and unknown to me, it ran down the side and a ring was formed. It was maybe a month old and I flipped out. I was told to make a poultice of water and baking soda and let it sit under plastic wrap for two days and then wipe up. It was gone after a day.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:14 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Most all granite is already sealed. If it is shiny, it is sealed.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. If it's "shiny" it means it's polished! You would actually have to ask if it's sealed- there's no way to tell by "looking at it".

Sealing really has more to do with how you use it- if you're not prepping food directly on it, there's little to no reason to seal it. Most people who spill/splash usually are cleaning it up in short order; not like it's sitting there for a week.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks very much for the help.

Based on the replies, I'm not sure that clears it up a whole lot, though...

Does anyone know anything about Granite Shield?

Granite Shield Do It Yourself Kit for Permanently Sealing Granite

It's expensive, and I've heard everything from it being great and lasts forever to it being a scam.

Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have three tempered glass cutting boards on it and that is where I do most of my work.

Ouch! your poor, poor knives....

OP, seal it. don't seal it, use product A or B or C ~ it is a PERSONAL DECISION. If you don't cook, there's no reason to seal it. If you cook, but are meticulous about being clean, there's no reason to seal it. But if you want to seal it, there are Very cheap and Very easy options.. or spend more on a different and more difficult option if you feel like it. It's all Personal, there is no cut and dried answer for the indecisive.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Ouch! your poor, poor knives....

OP, seal it. don't seal it, use product A or B or C ~ it is a PERSONAL DECISION. If you don't cook, there's no reason to seal it. If you cook, but are meticulous about being clean, there's no reason to seal it. But if you want to seal it, there are Very cheap and Very easy options.. or spend more on a different and more difficult option if you feel like it. It's all Personal, there is no cut and dried answer for the indecisive.
Thanks, but that was the point of starting this whole thread - I'm looking for actual data to support my decision, not just hearsay or guessing. I also don't understand the comment about not cooking - do people have a kitchen and NEVER cook in it? Of course we will use it to cook. So, I guess it does need to sealed by this reasoning, but I still have no clue what to use to seal it.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Go to a place that sells granite. They can tell you more about if it is sealed at installation or if it needs to be sealed by you.

Excellent information here: Sealing Granite Countertops . . . Only If They Need It!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating