Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
However, I have to wonder if the legions of fans of any of these home improvement shows understand that this is a TV show and meant to be entertainment.
Not a chance. The budgets are always ludicrous to me, they do more with a huge crew for less money than I could do alone, buying only materials. Some are further off base than others (shows, not episodes)... but having been through a rejuvenation of my own 1930's brick tudor revival, with a bend towards saving what was original, I get a bit cross with the budgets claimed.

Most people who watch (I have some in-laws who are decades younger than me and just into their first homes), just think it's all that easy. We smile, nod and offer assistance if they want to call on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's a great show. They finally put something on besides rehab addict to balance the obscene number of other shows that do little more than destroy old houses.
I used to like Rehab Addict, but sometimes she goes too far with the crappy old stuff in order to save money. Also, Nicole seems more and more like a nutcase.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I used to like Rehab Addict, but sometimes she goes too far with the crappy old stuff in order to save money. Also, Nicole seems more and more like a nutcase.
Several times I've wondered if she was an addict. Sometimes her face looks like she is.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Several times I've wondered if she was an addict. Sometimes her face looks like she is.
She is alienated from her parents, who were once close to her, she got into a nasty custody battle with her baby daddy, and just looks like she’s been rode hard and put away wet.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:09 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
I like both of these shows (Restored and Rehab Addict). Anyone watch Bargain Mansions yet? That's one I can't stand. Granted she is saving old, large homes, but claims to be "restoring" them and I see little more than knocking down a lot of walls and putting in lots of bling. The homes do come out nice, but I sometimes think - what the heck is she doing?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:55 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I like both of these shows (Restored and Rehab Addict). Anyone watch Bargain Mansions yet? That's one I can't stand. Granted she is saving old, large homes, but claims to be "restoring" them and I see little more than knocking down a lot of walls and putting in lots of bling. The homes do come out nice, but I sometimes think - what the heck is she doing?
Yep, I watch that one. She does do some minor restoration. Not a whole lot though.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Has anyone watched this show? I am really enjoying it. A very tall and handsome host, who seems to truly know one end of a hammer from the other, restores homes in CA.
As Fixer Upper comes to an end, I’m always looking for shows that are educational, have nice people, and are without faux drama.
Tall, okay. But handsome? Umm... no. Ouch!
And before anyone jumps in my shyt, I'm not the one who brought up looks.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Tall, okay. But handsome? Umm... no. Ouch!
And before anyone jumps in my shyt, I'm not the one who brought up looks.
To each his own. I think he’s good looking and I’m tall, so I like my men tall.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I like the host and I think he does a pretty good job of balancing modern and original. None of the kitchens look much like they would have originally, but on turn-of-the-century (lol, the one BEFORE the last one) houses, kitchens tended to be very utilitarian. He updates them to be centerpieces meant to be used, which I like.

For instance
Historical Kitchens « 1912 Bungalow

several of those kitchens have what would be considered very wasted spaces by modern taste and usage.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Has anyone watched this show? I am really enjoying it. A very tall and handsome host, who seems to truly know one end of a hammer from the other, restores homes in CA.
As Fixer Upper comes to an end, I’m always looking for shows that are educational, have nice people, and are without faux drama.

Fixer Upper is ending?

or is that only in my dreams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating