U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 PM

1,168 posts, read 3,619,878 times
Default Painting over red paint

We painted one wall in our family room about a year ago with red paint. Satin paint! The girl at lowe's said we had to use it rather than flat and I never understood why. Well, I'm tired of looking at the shiny wall with roller marks. I'm ready to paint the entire room in Sherwin Williams Grassland. What all should we do to the red wall to get it ready for a new coat of paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 PM

311 posts, read 1,225,791 times
hit is with a good primer - maybe two coats. Not sure how light or dark the new paint is so you may need two coats to cover all the red.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,298,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
We painted one wall in our family room about a year ago with red paint. Satin paint! The girl at lowe's said we had to use it rather than flat and I never understood why. Well, I'm tired of looking at the shiny wall with roller marks. I'm ready to paint the entire room in Sherwin Williams Grassland. What all should we do to the red wall to get it ready for a new coat of paint?
Zinsser sells a good primer called "Cover Stain" that helps to eliminate bleed through.

The girl at Lowe's recommended satin paint because it does have a bit of a shine to it, to help reflect light around the room, and because it's easier to clean than flat. But now, with today's paints, they are producing washable flat paints. Flat paints are usually used to cover up imperfections in your walls.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
I bought a home where some rooms were painted with bright theme colors. It took two coats of good quality primer to cover and provide a base for wall paint.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,614,970 times
I swear by Zinsser Primer. I had to cover a wall that was a really deep burgundy verging on black! I took my time and applied two lights coats before applying my wall color which is a bamboo yellow. No problems with bleed through. It also worked great on the glorious Chicago Bear orange and blue walls, not to mention the pea green!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The girl at Lowe's recommended satin paint because it does have a bit of a shine to it, to help reflect light around the room, and because it's easier to clean than flat. But now, with today's paints, they are producing washable flat paints. Flat paints are usually used to cover up imperfections in your walls.
Well I wanted flat paint and they said they coudn't even make the red in flat? I know it's easier to clean, but I don't like the shine.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,230,921 times
Zissner primer for sure, probably 2 coats. Use eggshell top coat...more washable than supposedly washable flat...

Old 03-24-2008, 03:49 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,298,625 times
Quote:
Well I wanted flat paint and they said they coudn't even make the red in flat? I know it's easier to clean, but I don't like the shine.
The only thing I can imagine is that they were out of the correct base paint to get your color. For example, a deep red color would require alternatively a deep base, base 3, medium base, depending on the manufacturer. The salesperson should have recommended a different brand, is all.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM

563 posts, read 2,527,002 times
Quote:
Sounds utterly odd to me!
I've painted and ocean blue room before - one coat of kilz primer ( make sure to open the windows and have some fans going - it stinks) and then a coat of good quality paint. Is Grassland a paint that is rated to have good coverage with one coat? If not you will be very tired of painting the room three times or even four!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only thing I can imagine is that they were out of the correct base paint to get your color. For example, a deep red color would require alternatively a deep base, base 3, medium base, depending on the manufacturer. The salesperson should have recommended a different brand, is all.
And this is why I no longer buy paint from Lowe's. Our builder did something well just down right dumb... painted the walkway in front of the spec houses. Why I do not know. I even inquired about it... thought they had spilled something on the concrete and were trying to cover it up! lol Anyway, so down the road we had to repaint the sidewalk. We went to Lowe's and asked for a certain color in Exterior paint for concrete surfaces. Hubby painted the sidewalk and then a few months later we had to paint the patio (yup, the builder painted the patio too!). I looked closely at the label and they had sold us INTERIOR paint. Argh. Sherwin Williams for me from now on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating