Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

You need to use a visualizer - you'll get a much better idea of what you like. MSI has a pretty good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Help me choose the background backsplash under the cabinet to complement the colorful centerpiece backsplash in the previous photo 2
what photo 2 are you referring to?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
what photo 2 are you referring to?
This

I took this image from a model home.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Ok then, none of those other tiles would be a good idea to mix and match with a section of that. It would be far too busy. If you want to do a small section of that strong of a pattern you should go with something very basic and simple like in that photo.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM

284 posts, read 269,169 times
I have white shaker cabinets with white beveled subway tile as backsplash. Light gray granite counter. It looks so fresh and clean

Old 04-05-2018, 04:04 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ok then, none of those other tiles would be a good idea to mix and match with a section of that. It would be far too busy. If you want to do a small section of that strong of a pattern you should go with something very basic and simple like in that photo.
Exactly. Which is why it’s a bad idea to do such a busy tile in the first place. It is simply too overwhelming. Stop looking at pictures online and think you need to replicate those crazy patterns. Lots of those pictures are done by designers and tile suppliers that simply want your money. All those tiny mosaic tile pallets that you see in tile shops? They’re awful. But people put them in because they were shoved in their face in every magazine and home show/the marketer did a great job. And the poor suckers that fell for it spell regret with a capital R.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. Which is why it’s a bad idea to do such a busy tile in the first place. It is simply too overwhelming. Stop looking at pictures online and think you need to replicate those crazy patterns. Lots of those pictures are done by designers and tile suppliers that simply want your money. All those tiny mosaic tile pallets that you see in tile shops? They’re awful. But people put them in because they were shoved in their face in every magazine and home show/the marketer did a great job. And the poor suckers that fell for it spell regret with a capital R.
I don't think we are in agreement at all, actually. OP is obviously drawn to very strong patterns. It might not be my taste but it's not my house. I just think that if you make a strong focal point with tile like that, then you don't surround it by another strong pattern that fights against it, you go with something neutral that will set off the focal point. But I don't think it's a bad idea to put in something you love as a feature in your own kitchen, regardless of what someone else thinks about it, as long as you use it in a manner that works and don't over do it with competing patterns.

And personally I like the glass mosaic tiles, at least as an accent. I'm less fond of them covering a large area. I wouldn't put them in now because I think they will look very dated in a few years as a trend whose time has come and gone but that's quite different than thinking they are awful. But in any case, that doesn't seem to be something the OP is interested in.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I, too, like strong patterns. Subway tile is dime-a-dozen these days and boring to me. No way would I put it in my kitchen. A bathroom surround, maybe. If you like strong patterns like the Moroccan tile, DO IT. It doesn't matter what I think or anyone else thinks. It's YOUR house. If you're going to have a pattern panel like that, I wouldn't pair it with that other beige tile.

FWIW, I have blueish/gray penny round tiles in my kitchen and my half bath has coppery mosaic tiles as an accent wall. I love it and since it's my money being spent, why not?

Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I love the original photos, as far as the color schemes. I like the different textures, which keeps it from being a bland all-white kitchen.

The only thing I'd do, is move the fridge and double ovens over to the sink and stove-top side of the island. That would fix the awkwardness of the island being in the middle of the work space. I see the only problem in where the appliances are located. A stove top could actually be put on the island, and replace the stove with oven, so you'd have more space for the wall ovens and fridge on that side of the island. The work space and appliance placement needs to be rearranged.

Doesn't it just drive you crazy when someone designs a kitchen who obviously never actually works in one?

I love the sink. I would love to have a big deep one so it would be easy to wash my giant pressure cooker/canner and huge stock pots, etc. I also wash my dishes by hand, but you can always just put a tub in the big sink for washing dishes. But, it's so nice to have all that space to wash big pots, etc., instead of having to fight the double sink.

I'd probably put an attachment on the faucet, though, so I wouldn't always have to have the water coming down from so high up. A rubber extension or something, so it could be low when I don't want it to splash all over, but could use it up high when I'm washing my giant pots.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
What do you guy think of these as the centerpiece behind the hood ranch as in the 2nd kitchen picture. These colors and patterns catch my eye. The look is am going for is exotic and bold:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating