Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times

Advertisements

I kind of like the look of white cabinet and white countertop. I found this kitchen photo on the web and fall in love with the unique patterned white backsplash as well.

But I don't like the black island countertop or herringbone floor
Please gave me some critiques about this kitchen:
http://www.jacquelynclark.com/wp-con...elegance_2.jpg
http://www.jacquelynclark.com/wp-con..._1-480x728.jpg
http://www.jacquelynclark.com/wp-con..._6-480x728.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 04-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
The backsplash and farm sink could get old/look dated pretty quickly.

Between those and the floors...too busy for my taste.

I don't mind white kitchens. If you want varying opinions and entertainment (and have a chunk of free time) do a thread search on "white cabinets" here on CD.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-02-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Don't like the backsplash - too busy. Don't like the floor, hate the sink. Also do not like bridge faucets at all. And pot fillers are ugly and unnecessary. If I just HAD to have one, I would want a deck mounted one - never on the wall.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The backsplash and farm sink could get old/look dated pretty quickly.

Between those and the floors...too busy for my taste.

I don't mind white kitchens. If you want varying opinions and entertainment (and have a chunk of free time) do a thread search on "white cabinets" here on CD.
What type of backsplash and what color would you choose?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
What type of backsplash and what color would you choose?
more subtle - maybe the opaque/clear glass subway tile? But that's me. I like understated things. "interest" can be added with accessories and décor items - easily changed. And just not a fan of hammered metal in general. I'd go with straight stainless.
Honestly though - the first thing I thought of when I saw that backsplash was the huge "flower power" stickers people put on their VW's in the 60s and 70s...Guess I'm aging myself...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Honestly though - the first thing I thought of when I saw that backsplash was the huge "flower power" stickers people put on their VW's in the 60s and 70s...Guess I'm aging myself...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
Well, I thought it looked Moroccan/ Islamic.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I thought it looked Moroccan/ Islamic.
If that's the look you are going for what about this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=8&ajaxhist=0

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
1) You'll certainly get in your 5000 steps a day or whatever, running laps around the giant island.

2) On the other hand, about the 8-thousandth time you bang your hip into that giant island, going from the fridge to the stove, you'll decide you really want it out of there.

3) I think that overly deep sink is going to be hard on the back. The hammered metal finish is kind of cool. Gonna be hard to keep clean, though, if that finish continues into the inside of the sink. For me I would prefer a double sink, but I actually use a sink to wash dishes in.

4) Why on earth would you put two wall ovens clear across the room from the range which also has two ovens? Maybe those are two wall mount microwaves. Still, it seems kind of weird to put the microwave ovens clear across the room from the normal ovens. (If that's what it is)

5) The first time that pot filler thingy over the stove starts leaking and shorts out all the electricals in the stove, it will be a lot of fun.

6) And when it leaks and the water drips through the stove onto the wood floor and it all heaves up and has to be replaced, that'll be fun too.

7) If they replace the wooden floor with another wooden floor, about the time they get the replacement paid for they can expect that the dishwasher will spring a leak and dump a washer's load of water and detergent on the floor. Oh what fun it is, to have a wood floor in an area prone to water spills and leaks!

8) It looks like all the upper cabinets have glass doors, so you better either keep the INSIDES of your cabinets in pristine order, or be prepared to look at a mess all the time. I know I wouldn't want the insides of my kitchen cabinets on permanent display!

9) It's not clear how the sides of the sink are sealed to the countertop. Looks like there's a lot of opportunity for water to splash over the sides of the sink and run down between the sink and the countertop into the cabinets.

10) The backsplash pattern could be kind of cool if it had some color to it. You could go kind of retro with light green, or shades of yellows, or maybe earth tones of browns and tans.

11) After a couple years of trying to keep that white countertop white in the face of coffee, tea, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, blueberries, red wine, etc., etc., etc., you will want to have it ripped out and replaced with something that doesn't require constant effort not to look filthy. (Ask me how I know this...)

With all that fancy equipment it's meant to look like "serious gourmetness goes on in here" but it's not well organized for actual heavy duty cooking. They could have used half that space for something more useful and it still wouldn't seem crowded. Look at the real kitchens of real serious cooks and you will see they look a lot different.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
If that's the look you are going for what about this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=8&ajaxhist=0
I thought white on white on white would be too plain and I hope the backsplash to be bold and popped out.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I thought white on white on white would be too plain and I hope the backsplash to be bold and popped out.
It comes in many colors as does grout. I was really just showing the pattern of the tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating