Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:19 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times

Advertisements

There are multiple things in style right now. I do think farmhouse sinks are trendy. I personally like the look of a farmhouse sink, but the functionality of a stainless steel. We have a stainless steel undermount as our main sink. It is a double sink but with a short wall, so if I need to do something larger, it can function as a single as well (I rarely do though). It's something like this, although I'm not sure this is the exact model.

Elkay Lustertone Stainless Steel 32-1/16" x 18-1/2" x 9", 40/60 Double Bowl Undermount Sink with Aqua Divide | ELKAY

We have a white farmhouse style second sink in our kitchen that I use for prep or if I need to let something soak for a while and don't want to use my main sink. The main sink is high traffic. It's a great look but I wouldn't want it as my high traffic sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't understand this.

The house I live in has a stainless steel sink installed in 1953. It still looks fine. Of course they get minor scratches, but who cares? The scratches are the same color as the base material (unlike a porcelain sink where the scratches are highly visible). The metal is finished with a scratch finish anyway, in order that scratches not show. Or are you saying there are sinks made of polished stainless, in which case don't buy one of those.
If it's not a quality (low-gauge) stainless, it can sound tinny and get dented and scratched very quickly. I bought a house with a builder-grade sink and couldn't stand it. When I installed granite counters, I also invested in a beautiful under-mount Franke sink.

I currently have a deep, double-basin sink, but the right basin is smaller. I don't like the double sinks that are evenly split, as it looks like both sides are too small for washing larger pots.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:18 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If it's not a quality (low-gauge) stainless, it can sound tinny and get dented and scratched very quickly. I bought a house with a builder-grade sink and couldn't stand it. When I installed granite counters, I also invested in a beautiful under-mount Franke sink.

I currently have a deep, double-basin sink, but the right basin is smaller. I don't like the double sinks that are evenly split, as it looks like both sides are too small for washing larger pots.
There is little difference, functionally or in sound or anything else, between a 16 gauge sink and an 18 gauge. I had an 18 gauge Elkay for 15+ years with no dings, ever. Very solid, and definitely no tinny sound.
I looked at several 16 gauge sinks, in fact ordered two of them, and send them both back (hated the brushed finishes) before going ahead and spending the money on a Kohler. Get a good brand - that is where your quality is.

Builder grades are usually 20-22 gauge, and yes those should be avoided.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
I was thinking more about personal experiences. Some stainless sinks scratch very easily and they look bad after a month. I had a granite sink in my last house and it looked stained where the water would hit. I know that some porcelain can scratch and look awful. Are there any new materials out there that are being well received/reviewed?
I've never seen this. Had nothing but stainless sinks and never had this issue. Stainless sinks are so great because they ARE so durable and are easily kept looking great. Maybe you are just seeing dirty sinks.

This was my old sink. Over 15 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Trends-img_7063.jpg  

Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never seen this. Had nothing but stainless sinks and never had this issue. Stainless sinks are so great because they ARE so durable and are easily kept looking great. Maybe you are just seeing dirty sinks.

This was my old sink. Over 15 years old.
You just said it was a high-quality 18-gauge sink. It's the builder-grade sinks that scratch up and look like h*ll.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
You just said it was a high-quality 18-gauge sink. It's the builder-grade sinks that scratch up and look like h*ll.
The OP stated “some stainless sinks” , and then proceeded to dismiss them ALL. My point was that his conclusion was way way off. I’m not sure that even builder grade will behave THAT badly in “a month”, but I agree that they are certainly inferior and should be avoided if possible.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I don't worry too much about trends anymore but just redid the kitchen and opted for a deep single bowl stainless sink (undermount). I love having all that space and being able to wash large pots. If I need to hand wash, I just use a plastic tub. I don't miss having two bowls but am scratching my head on where to put wet dishrags since there is no center divider to drape them over anymore.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
My fave is a good stainless sink. A good one can be kept looking nice. I now have a white porcelain sink which is too expensive to replace. Previous owners scoured it! I can keep it clean by soaking it in Oxyclean, and that’s how I keep it clean. You can rid stainless sinks of stains by doing same.

We visited a plumbing supply house today. I saw some deep black (resin?) sinks with interesting articulated racks for their bottoms. Visit one of these places and prepare to have your mind blown by what is out there, and how expensive it can be.

Before buying find out about caring for the sink. If you get a dark sink, will hard water leave a residue on it? You have to think about stuff like that before you buy.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM

10 posts, read 4,846 times
Buy a good stainless sink, just make sure it goes well with your current kitchen design.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 9,077 times
Hadn't given too much thought to the sink in our remodel but I've never had a SS one. I am curious as to whether they are loud and how they do if treated roughly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating