U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM

311 posts, read 1,255,494 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how they used to create the sort of swirly, half moon ceiling texture that you see in a lot of 1960's houses? Looks like some sand or something like that was involved, but you can also see some brush strokes too. I am trying to repair some minor cracks and haven' been able to re-create the look. I have tried mixing some fine texture with paint and brushing it on, also tried watered down joint compound with fine texture and the look still wasn't the same. I find with my methods, the texture grains tend to clump so I end up with more of a mess of large clumps that the small, fine grains in the original - any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,694,159 times
Default Welcome to the club......

Basically it was a form of what is known as skip troweling. You are probably describing the pattern known as Mud Swirl.

It was just old normal drywall mud, they can get tricky and add different things. Some are fine sand, latex paint or other texture additives. Many patterns are done with a trowel of some type. Some of the swirl patterns with deep grooves they used a notched trowel insteal of one with a smooth edge.

The swirls are created by rotating the trowel in a circle and then going back into the pattern a bit to start the next. Can get very creative by using different tools, brushes, stamps, rubber tools, etc.

Problem being many of those patterns are a bear to repair if the need ever arise. Lots of luck if you have the problem. Especially those where they did the color by adding paint to the mix. You never get that puppy to look right.
Even a bear to paint over it and get it to look right. High on my list of things never to have in my house. Your type of major repair where it is best to remove the crap and start over.

One of my sisters had a house with the swirl pattern using fine sand. Duh, impossible to touch up.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,488,431 times
Lots of do-it-yourself sites online have instructions for it.

Do it yourself: choosing and identifying a ceiling texture type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating