Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Carpet never bothered me. That is easily and quickly replaced with new carpet (or wood). I kind of expect carpet somewhere in a house.

I did pass on houses that had too much wallpaper. I've been there, done that!

I think the best thing sellers could do is take down any wallpaper and paint the walls in a nice neutral

and while I get that, (because removing wall paper is not the most pleasantest task one can do).

as a seller, I wouldn't do it, mainly because im still living there, and i like my wallpaper.

plus I will have enough to do already, and removing wall paper is not something that im going to do.

theres a buyer for everything.

but again, I can absolutely see your logic for saying, OMG no, I am not removong all that wallpaper, lets pass on that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 11:41 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Haha. I still laugh about selling our house 3 years ago. The agent made us take down the wallpaper that was on 2 of the kitchen walls, which we did, then the young couple that bought the house, who had never seen the kitchen with paper, ended up papering the same walls! You need to do what makes you happy.
Yeah but they didn't want your wallpaper so you still did a good thing by taking it down!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:44 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and while I get that, (because removing wall paper is not the most pleasantest task one can do).

as a seller, I wouldn't do it, mainly because im still living there, and i like my wallpaper.

plus I will have enough to do already, and removing wall paper is not something that im going to do.

theres a buyer for everything.

but again, I can absolutely see your logic for saying, OMG no, I am not removong all that wallpaper, lets pass on that house.
But if you are selling, you are going to have to part with the wallpaper anyway I understand though, no one wants to take it down. It's hard to even find a painter around here who will do it

Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
It all depends on the market. I'm in a hot market where it's common for houses to go under contract 24-48 hours after listing. Sellers have no need to remove wallpaper, they'll still get offers. If it's more of a buyer's market, then you need to do more work to make your house the most desireable one in order to get an offer.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Back to the honey oak cabinets, they were “new and modern” compared to the dark or reddened woods. Most of the big baseboards, doors and kitchen cabinets were painted too many times and had many many layers of chips, painted over and chipping and painted, to the point that you couldn’t keep it clean. Then comes on the scene the narrow, no pfrofile baseboards that were stained “natural” and the doors and kitchen cabinets went right along with that. It was a breath of fresh air compared to all the heavy dark and or painted wood.

But everything changes, it’s old and out of style. The industry needs to fuel itself.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I regret removing the carpet. Allergies are worse than before. I think carpet kept the dust at floor level and now its more airborne.
More than a few people have told me this.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Back to the honey oak cabinets, they were “new and modern” compared to the dark or reddened woods. Most of the big baseboards, doors and kitchen cabinets were painted too many times and had many many layers of chips, painted over and chipping and painted, to the point that you couldn’t keep it clean. Then comes on the scene the narrow, no pfrofile baseboards that were stained “natural” and the doors and kitchen cabinets went right along with that. It was a breath of fresh air compared to all the heavy dark and or painted wood.

But everything changes, it’s old and out of style. The industry needs to fuel itself.

About five years ago, our (over-55 community) clubhouse had to re-do the kitchen due to mold behind the wallpaper and cabinets. I was a snowbird and when we got the summary of the costs, I saw $5K for granite counters. I thought this was overkill for a clubhouse, but I figured, well I guess it's worth it if the kitchen is now a showplace.

When I got down here, I was horrified to see that the new cabinets were oak with arches. OMG, first off, they looked dated right off the bat, and secondly, they didn't match the contemporary style of the granite (BTW, the granite was ugly too). Apparently the old folks let the maintenance guy pick the stuff out, and they said oak was "classic". Some of us later formed a decorating committee to do a backsplash of tile that blended the colors of the oak with the granite. Luckily, it looks great and takes the attention away from those old-fashioned cabinets!

Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
[/b]

About five years ago, our (over-55 community) clubhouse had to re-do the kitchen due to mold behind the wallpaper and cabinets. I was a snowbird and when we got the summary of the costs, I saw $5K for granite counters. I thought this was overkill for a clubhouse, but I figured, well I guess it's worth it if the kitchen is now a showplace.

When I got down here, I was horrified to see that the new cabinets were oak with arches. OMG, first off, they looked dated right off the bat, and secondly, they didn't match the contemporary style of the granite (BTW, the granite was ugly too). Apparently the old folks let the maintenance guy pick the stuff out, and they said oak was "classic". Some of us later formed a decorating committee to do a backsplash of tile that blended the colors of the oak with the granite. Luckily, it looks great and takes the attention away from those old-fashioned cabinets!
I don't even understand what "looks dated" is supposed to MEAN, in reference to kitchen cabinets. With reference to what? Who decides what kind of finish on kitchen cabinets is now "not dated" and which ones "are dated"? And who elected them anyway?

If all you are saying is that "some people on TV are now saying that oak cabinets are out of style", then I would say, resist the attempts to make everything in life a matter of fashion.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't even understand what "looks dated" is supposed to MEAN, in reference to kitchen cabinets. With reference to what? Who decides what kind of finish on kitchen cabinets is now "not dated" and which ones "are dated"? And who elected them anyway?

If all you are saying is that "some people on TV are now saying that oak cabinets are out of style", then I would say, resist the attempts to make everything in life a matter of fashion.

totally get ya on this

im going to say the term dated would mean a certain date the "item in question" was used, made, worn. etc.

pickeled oak, was early 90's..

you know, BS like that.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

You're on the Design & Decorating page and you don't understand how or why kitchen cabinets can look "dated"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating