Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
You're on the Design & Decorating page and you don't understand how or why kitchen cabinets can look "dated"?
Well, one can often tell when something was installed. But the word "dated" has taken on a meaning not akin to "still stained with the blood from the most recent human sacrifice" which I reject.

If my house was built in 1960, and the kitchen cabinets look like they were installed in 1960, why should I care, as long as they function?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, one can often tell when something was installed. But the word "dated" has taken on a meaning not akin to "still stained with the blood from the most recent human sacrifice" which I reject.

If my house was built in 1960, and the kitchen cabinets look like they were installed in 1960, why should I care, as long as they function?
You don't have to care.

Just as if I want newer in my home, no one should care about that either.

Our houses are for us to live in. Not someone on a forum, not the neighbor down the road and certainly not the designers on TV.

If one is happy with their home, that IS all that matters.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
[/b]

About five years ago, our (over-55 community) clubhouse had to re-do the kitchen due to mold behind the wallpaper and cabinets. I was a snowbird and when we got the summary of the costs, I saw $5K for granite counters. I thought this was overkill for a clubhouse, but I figured, well I guess it's worth it if the kitchen is now a showplace.

When I got down here, I was horrified to see that the new cabinets were oak with arches. OMG, first off, they looked dated right off the bat, and secondly, they didn't match the contemporary style of the granite (BTW, the granite was ugly too). Apparently the old folks let the maintenance guy pick the stuff out, and they said oak was "classic". Some of us later formed a decorating committee to do a backsplash of tile that blended the colors of the oak with the granite. Luckily, it looks great and takes the attention away from those old-fashioned cabinets!
Well, the fact that they still make and sell oak cabinets means many people are still buying them, despite whether you think they’re dated or not. Oak is a very heavy and solid wood, and if you’re wanting durability then it’s a top choice for cabinetry.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
The White House is SOOOO dated! Just one roofline, think of it! And all those heavy moldings, thick wool carpets, and portrait paintings with goopy ornamental frames! Need to knock down some walls and open this place up, put some hip posters on the walls, and maybe mount some big screen TVs on the walls!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
The White House is SOOOO dated! Just one roofline, think of it! And all those heavy moldings, thick wool carpets, and portrait paintings with goopy ornamental frames! Need to knock down some walls and open this place up, put some hip posters on the walls, and maybe mount some big screen TVs on the walls!
Well I know you're joking, but in reality more than a couple administrations have undertaken extensive remodeling of the White House.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times
Everything is "dated" meaning you can guesstimate an approximate era for it.

"Dated" in a decorating sense is a negative word.

The decorating cycle has sped up. So now thing are becoming "dated" faster and faster. Such is life.

The only thing that makes me laugh is when people insist that whatever *they* have installed will never look dated.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:44 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
...The only thing that makes me laugh is when people insist that whatever *they* have installed will never look dated.
So what they just installed is "timeless"...UNTIL someone else thinks it's dated.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:40 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:

If your cabinets are metal like they were installing in 1960, they're back in style! Everything old becomes new again. I bought a 1960 mid-century modern house in 2010, took out the ugly 70's cabinets and installed white lacquer-look so it would mimic the style of the original metal cabinets. I think it's important to keep the style of the home in mind when updating, as well as not over-improving.

The "dated" clubhouse cabinets I mentioned are certainly NOT solid oak, they are builder-grade with arches; I don't even see that style on the Home Depot website anymore, so people obviously don't want them anymore.

So if your gripe is with the word "dated" (and yes, I hear it way too often on House Hunters), how about "old-fashioned" or just "old". As for your question, no one cares if your cabinets are dated, unless they're buying your house....then they'll care.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times
Quote:
As for your question, no one cares if your cabinets are dated, unless they're buying your house....then they'll care.
They'll care, but can they afford it? I see updated houses here getting 200K over unrenovated 20-year-old finishes.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
^, not in my neck of the woods.
everything still comes down to location, location, and location.
buyers here in buy for the location only. they dont give a rats azz about a kitchen that is dated or up to the millionth of a second in the days style.

location, rules here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating