Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,471,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
I called the building permit place yesterday, they referred me to the Department of Environmental Quality for Mt. I got their machine.

On his lunch break, my husband called the hazmat office. They said to double trash bag any tiles and take it to the dump.

I called the landfill/dump.

The gal there at the dump told me we can remove it, but can't transport it. We have to call Montana waste systems, or another asbestos abatement place. They would provide a container. We have to fill out a profile with the dump and get a manifest for it.

I asked how much would it cost to get the tile tested? She referred me to the Department of Environmental Quality for Mt.

I called the Montana waste systems to inquire about the price. They said the 10 yard container is $505.00 and $4 a day, a 20 yard is $855.

!!!!!

I called the Department of Environmental Quality for Mt and left a message, he called back.

I didn't write down every single thing he said, but the jist was:

We have a residential exemption. We are not commercial. He said that is quite the upcharge and those are for commerical buildings, not a private residence with a few tiles.

He said we could even put it out for a curbside pickup. Or we could take it to the dump ourselves.

He said to call the dump and talk to a manager. And remind them we have a residential exemption.

He said the asbestos floor tiles are a category 1 non fryable which means there is very minimal risk. He said if they are 9 inch by 9 inch tiles they are most likely asbestos, if they are 12 x 12s they still could be, but are less likely.

I asked if we did want to have them tested how much would it cost? $11 to $70 to send to the lab. He said to take a hammer and chisel and get a quarter sized sample, make sure the adhesive is on it as well, and send it in if we wanted to. He said the state always recommends to have professionals remove something, but if it were him, he would do it himself.

I talked to my realtor agent and she doesn't think they are and that the inspector is protecting himself by saying these "may be" asbestos.

I still want to go back out to the house, take a few pictures of the tiles, and take some measurements of the kitchen, dining area, etc.

She is supposed to call me today to go over the report.

So that's where I am at.

:/
Aboit 15 yeats ago in Montana we removed asbestos tiles from a well house storage area. At that time disposal was made using these special thick & labeled garbage bags purchased from the county sanitarian for under $100. The bags of tiles had to be kept separate from other construction trash when hauled to landfill. -- The tiles popped right off using a square point shovel. It was not a big thing at all.

The more costly hazardous removal at that ranch house was the zonalite insulation in the attic. That was done by a remediation company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,172,283 times
Sheesh! Just leave them in place, and be glad you don't have to fool with liner paper. Give them a good coat of Johnson Wax before you put your stuff in the cabinets.

There is absolutely ZERO risk to you from having asbestos-containing floor tiles in your cabinets. The only way to create a risk is to grind them up into dust and breathe the dust.

Asbestos is just little fibers. It doesn't leap out of the linoleum it's embedded in and go flying around seeking lungs to embed itself in.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
I think that "home inspectors" are often in a very odd position. The potential buyers who hire them of course want to have some assurance that the home they are considering is not going to be some nightmarish money pit that costs more to fix than other homes that the buyer might have chosen but too often the inspector goes on a ridiculous "fishing expedition" and the report is filled not with any sorts of glaring issues but page after page of trivial "maybes" "potentials" and "mights".

Asbestos is type of mineral fiber that has been linked to lung disease among industrial worker that were breathing in huge quantities of the stuff. It is not something that has really ever been implicated as a true health risk to any sort of normal homeowner. If there are materials in a home that contain asbestos it is not a big deal to leave them in place with "encapsulation" that can involve sort of painting it over or using safe methods of removal during a renovation.

Folks who prey on fears and trade on the half truths to sell inflated services only serve to give the whole business the reputation of scamsters.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 AM

503 posts, read 1,448,438 times
Thanks for the comments everyone.

We went back and took a few pics. I am not going to worry about it for now. I am thinking they probably aren't. We will still be careful when we take the cupboards out.

First downstairs/basement. The red is panted concrete. The alleged questionable tile is next to it.

Picture # 5, the cupboard shelf, you can see on the right wood coming thru. That doesn't look like tile to me? Maybe some thin shelf paper?

Last edited by Desertrose34; 05-14-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,566,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone.

We went back and took a few pics. I am not going to worry about it for now. I am thinking they probably aren't. We will still be careful when we take the cupboards out.

First downstairs/basement. The red is panted concrete. The alleged questionable tile is next to it.

Picture # 5, the cupboard shelf, you can see on the right wood coming thru. That doesn't look like tile to me? Maybe some thin shelf paper?

Those look like what we grew-up in my folks home, yeah they were asbestos tiles. They were in the 3 bedrooms flooring, they just carpet over em and the kitchen had new flooring laid right over it. The rest house had real wood flooring. It was going to cost to much have remove, they're in Calf.
Asbestos Floor Tiles (PICS)~~
https://www.savagespeedgarage.com/27...os-floor-tiles
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos tiles in 1960's cupboards?-54826c6f70ae2202b7164bc5481cc0ac_f45.jpg  

Old 05-15-2018, 12:57 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
We had that same exact tile in the old apartment building I managed. The owner just laid new linoleum on top of it.

That is so weird how they put the same stuff inside the cupboards! Very weird.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Those look like what we grew-up in my folks home, yeah they were asbestos tiles. They were in the 3 bedrooms flooring, they just carpet over em and the kitchen had new flooring laid right over it. The rest house had real wood flooring. It was going to cost to much have remove, they're in Calf.
Asbestos Floor Tiles (PICS)~~
https://www.savagespeedgarage.com/27...os-floor-tiles
Thank you, so your saying the cupboards yes are asbestos tiles?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We had that same exact tile in the old apartment building I managed. The owner just laid new linoleum on top of it.

That is so weird how they put the same stuff inside the cupboards! Very weird.
They are so thin though?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 15,175 times
Since you plan to remodel in the near future anyway the most I would do is cover them with linoleum stick on tiles and call it a day.

Even if they are asbestos you're not going to get instant cancer. When the current kitchen gets demolished for the new one the amount of asbestos that will become airborne will be minimal, and that's assuming that the tiles are actually asbestos.

If your goal is a concession from the seller that's fine, but I wouldn't drive myself crazy over this.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Thanks Akritir. We are not asking for any concession, just want them to have a certified electrician install a main breaker/shut off for the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating