Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,170,182 times

Advertisements

most people want to ADD an island or peninsula. I think you'd miss the counter and cabinet space. But I'm a little iffy about moving the fridge and changing the work triangle.

I'd spend a few bucks on a consult with a kitchen designer and see what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 PM

270 posts, read 831,685 times
The bathroom door is on the right side wall where the sink is at. Standing at stove looking at the breakfast counter I will see the sun room with lots of windows and skylight and the backyard.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,448,258 times
Oh. Hmmm...

Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,692,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
The bathroom door is on the right side wall where the sink is at. Standing at stove looking at the breakfast counter I will see the sun room with lots of windows and skylight and the backyard.
Is it possible to snap a pic and post it of that wall where sink and bathroom are so we can see the proximity of everything on that wall? And also, if you could snap one of the wall/windows opposite of the stove?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,448,258 times
So, I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish then. Is it that you feel claustrophobic in that kitchen area? I would. I really dislike the fridge separating you from that little dining area and the window on that side. I think if you could open up that space on that side, the kitchen wouldn't feel so claustrophobic.

Where do you guys eat? In the little dining room? In the sun room? I think it would be odd to just remove that counter without replacing it with something, even a little island. I'm picturing myself trying to function in the kitchen, and needing places to put things. Imagining where would you put grocery bags when you get home from shopping.

I wish I could see the whole space. It's hard to picture the flow of the whole house and that space and how it connects to your sun room, etc. Your view into the sun room and yard with the skylight sounds really pretty.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 AM

Here is the view from stove straight out. You can see the skylight above, and also sun room (which was partially separated by the laundry space). Power room is on the left side of this pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Can we open the kitchen by removing this cabinet?-sroom.jpg   Can we open the kitchen by removing this cabinet?-sr2.jpg  

Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,906,248 times
The kitchen does feel unnecessarily tight, especially when compared with the large room with skylights...is that the sun room? Was that added on later?

And you do need to keep that wall behind the piano area?

Given the bigger picture now, I'd try to find a way to make the dining room not cut off from the kitchen...two small rooms like that. How about opening the two into one. Figure a place for the refrigerator with that idea in mind. A spaciousness like the big sunroom.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Sun room was an add-on.

I don't like the tile so I want to replace tiles definitely. My contractor told me the cabinets were resurfaced and repainted, and condition was not optimal. Countertop and sink were not to my taste either.

My dilemma is if I decide to replace the tile, should I consider doing some of the wall removal together (budget restraint as well), or it would be OK to do it later on (had we decided to remove the laundry space and wall). I know if I can remove the laundry cabinets (attic access is right above that), it should open up fine even with the breakfast counter. (if it's not load bearing).

Or should I keep the counters unaltered just replace the cabinets and countertop?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,544,877 times
Quote:
It's an old style raised ranch, so no, there's nothing above the kitchen but the attic and roof.

Actually my contractor brought the idea of removing the wall that fridge now sits (it's a hole basically), the other side of that wall has no other stuff. Right opposite of the small section of wall between fridge ant the 90degree side is a built in buffet display cabinet. Not sure if it's load bearing but definitely has some duct above the fridge (from the pix of vent ). I think he stopped the idea since there weren't too much space for the fridge to go.

Were you suggesting relocate the fridge instead of removing the breakfast counter (and extending wallhanging cabinets a little till the kitchen tile ends)?

I don't know how much extra that would cost (removing wall etc), but if too much, do you think removing the breakfast counter does something or it's OK to leave it be?

Thanks a lot.
Ok, I believe I follow here now. Yes, I was suggesting keeping the island and instead focus on relocating the fridge up against the exterior wall of the room. See in your picture where the corner cabinet two to the left of the oven meets the regular cabinet? That is where I would park the refrigerator. Pull the corner cabinet (looks like a 45 degree cabinet?) and all things from that point to where the frig is now. Remove all of that, turn the fridge 90 degrees clockwise and roll it back against that wall. Then build up and around it as you'd like.

The kitchen feels cramped not because of the island, but because the refrigerator is basically parked right in the middle of it all. Fixing that would open the kitchen and breakfast area up tremendously, making it feel more like an open concept eating, cooking, gathering area. If you can do that, then I would definitely keep the island you're thinking of removing.

As long as not load bearing (which I would be surprised if it were given the ranch style), removing this shouldn't be that hard. Just 2x4's and drywall. Detach the cabinets, cut the granite, and then finish it out with appropriate trim and whatnot. Might even be able to have the wall cabinets you're losing reworked to fit above the fridge. Moving the HVAC vent would likely be pretty easy. If it's plumbing is coming up through the floor through that fridge wall, then relocate the vent into the floor. If it's coming down from the attic (which I suspect it is), then it's very easy to relocate in the ceiling.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:15 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,789,578 times
Quote:
Yeah that is my dilemma but you can see if this was broad daylight picture and I wouldn't say it's a lot of light from that single Skylight above breakfast counter
You won’t get more light by removing the peninsula, but you will by relocating the fridge. That’s what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating