Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:29 AM

270 posts, read 832,609 times

Advertisements

Contractor tore down the old bath so pipes all accessible now, so if we want to add ceiling mount rain showers, this is the time. I personally do not like it as I have long hair and do not want to get it wet everyday in shower, but DH seems like it although we probably only experience it twice.

I feel this is a recent trend but not sure if it's a good value add-on since it costs extra for the extra three way, piping and a good wide rain shower head is not cheap. Also the water going at bathroom ceiling seems to be more risky additional plumbing Hazzard. Water pressure is another common complaint.

We are on a budget for reno, I would rather use the extra needed for rain shower on others stuff, say a better vanity or even a bench in shower. Need to mention, we are doing shower only bathroom now, no tub.

Any experience? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Get in the mindset of doing what makes you happy and not what adds value. I totally gutted our master just last year and considered one but, decided against it. While I have excellent pressure, my reason was that I am pretty fast in the shower and the additional plumbing was not worth the cost in terms of my level of appreciation in the long run.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I don’t like them. The pressure isn’t sufficient for washing my hair and it’s badd to keep soap out of your eyes with them. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
We have a wall mounted rain shower head. Like it.
We also have a hand-held shower in the same space. Like it and use it.

The most important features, to us, of our shower are: curbless and doorless.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM

270 posts, read 832,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have a wall mounted rain shower head. Like it.
We also have a hand-held shower in the same space. Like it and use it.

The most important features, to us, of our shower are: curbless and doorless.
Quite a nice setup you have. Will a smaller size bathroom enough for the doorless setup (I see you still have a splash guard, but no door)? Will it be less expensive compared to have a full swing glass door?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
How do you adjust the water temp before you step under the spray? do you have to reach way around that stationary piece of glass? The only time I've ever used a shower like this (in a hotel) I had to reach so far around that I felt at risk of slipping and falling.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How do you adjust the water temp before you step under the spray? do you have to reach way around that stationary piece of glass?
Easily.
No.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Easily.
No.
Well, thanks for the detailed answer, but it still looks to me like the on-off-hot-cold handle is on the far side of that glass.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, thanks for the detailed answer, but it still looks to me like the on-off-hot-cold handle is on the far side of that glass.
It is.
So?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
If you can get away with *anything* except glass doors, please do. Keeping them looking good is next to impossible if you have any minerals in your water. Likewise, I would avoid chrome like the plague and stick with something that doesn't show water spots.

Rain showers are trendy but I don't think I would like them over good high-pressure nozzles. Just for the "wake up" value of that morning shower. But everybody is different and they wouldn't be so popular if people didn't like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating