Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am sure height plays in a bit. Our old house had a decent sized dining room but low ceilings...it was from the 50s. The fixture that the previous owners fit the size of the room but was absurd with the ceiling size. But my nephew took care of that when he decided to try swinging on it when we were moving in LOL

Ohmygosh! ROFL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Ohmygosh! ROFL!!
Lets just say...it doesn't turn out like it does in the movies. But no one was harmed and...heck made it easy to take down.

I am thinking of going for some mercury glass pendants. If it works out, we might not have to repair the hole the other one is in...hummmmm...bonus

Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Like the style. Hate the brass color. I wish they have other color option.

I like this one but it may be too simple

https://www.westelm.com/products/duo...cm_src=AutoRel

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Like the style. Hate the brass color. I wish they have other color option.

I like this one but it may be too simple

https://www.westelm.com/products/duo...cm_src=AutoRel
I love this one.

And I agree that the chandelier should be centered over the table.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
Take a look at allmodern.com. They have a lot of modern takes on traditional styles of lighting --- and some that leave traditional in the dust.
https://www.allmodern.com/lighting/p...?piid=29242607

Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I fell in love with this chandelier the other day (what, doesn't everyone randomly browse lighting fixtures? lol!). I still like the chandelier I got for my house 3.5 years ago, but I would have bought this in a heartbeat if I could have justified replacing it.

https://www.lightingnewyork.com/prod...?page=1&q=zara

They describe it was a white gold, and I think it would blend in with any color metal. I also think it's a nice transitional style - not MCM but it doesn't not go with it, and not too modern but doesn't not go with that either.

It may be a little small for your space though and doesn't seem to come in a larger size. But if you are having a separate seating area, I'd center the chandelier over the table and then put in a second light for the seating area.

Definitely look around that site though, they have so much, you are bound to see things you like. And if you do shop with them, call or use the chat system and ask for their best price. I've never not gotten a nice discount when I do, and I've bought several items from them.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I went to a luncheon at someone's house once who had a really long, very narrow dining area. They'd put a chunky long wooden table in it, and they put two enormous chandeliers above it. She said she'd decided to make the room really fun and playful, so it would be fun to be in it, and not make the focus on how narrow the space was - that you wouldn't care because it was just such a fun room to be in. And it worked.

She also put really huge art canvases on the walls. I never would have thought of doing these things, but I loved that house, and didn't focus on how small it was, because I was focusing on the fun and interesting art and chandeliers, etc. Very clever decorator.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am redoing my dining room from our old furniture (standard boring stuff) to a mid-century/transitional feel. I have everything picked out and am waiting for a few last things to be delivered. But I am stumped on the new Chandelier.

Our home is a bit more transitional, but very open floor plan and has a bit of a modern feel. It is a nice home, but is more open and clean lined then a lot of the homes in the area (which tend to be very pottery barn/Joanna Gains styled...and often over the top in built ins and frills).

I do not like mid-century modern light fixtures. The rest of the house just has builder light fixtures so they all match (generic rubbed bronze stuff that was popular 10 years ago). I am a little weary to break things up...but I want to do something that is a bit of a statement.

I would post a picture of the room but we aren't close to done yet. It has a west elm feeling, for sure.

I like this one https://www.westelm.com/products/gla...gerHeroOverlay

....but I am afraid it will be too much...but then I am afraid I wont go far enough. Its a fairly large dining room and I believe the table is 96" and the room will have a seating area.

Also what do you all think about centering the chandelier on the table and not in the room? Its clearly a rectangle room (open to the house but has a trey ceiling to divide it) but the table wont be in the very center.

Thoughts?
I have those chairs! (barstool height).

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
The only thing I don’t like is the gold tone... too shiny. To me, gold can easily look garish, so I’d be careful in that respect.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Ylighting.com is a good online source to browse with reasonable prices. The style tends toward modern with some MCM and transitional elements. You should be able to find a fixture that fits your needs if your space is truly MCM/transitional.

Agree with others. Get everything done and in place first, including dining table. Then chandelier. Where you center is probably a matter of personal preference especially since other parts of the dining will have seating areas...but I prefer chandelier centered over the dining table. I like this one for long rectangular dining tables, for example: https://www.ylighting.com/solitude-l...72&tileIndex=7 At 51” long it will look fab with dining tables in the 90” range, plus minus a few inches.

Or you can go with an oversized round or oval chandelier that is highly sculptural, in which case you can bend the usual “rules” or guidelines about size if they are light and airy enough in construction. I still very much love the Heracleum (Moooi) but probably not going to work with your other builder grade fixtures: https://www.ylighting.com/heracleum-...um&tileIndex=3 If you are really daring, the Big O right in the center of the room for an orgasmic lighting experience: https://www.ylighting.com/heracleum-...um&tileIndex=4

Have fun browsing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating