Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM

420 posts, read 469,843 times

Advertisements

I live in an apt. and do not want to put a nail on my wall so do I use a thumb tuck? Is that even strong enough?

If I were to drill then do I need a level and a stud finder? Is 1/2 deep stud finder my best bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I go ahead and put screws into my walls, even though I'm a renter. This is my home. When I move, I just take the hit to my security deposit, if the landlord has the right to do so.

As far as how to hang pics - it depends on what you're hanging and how heavy it is. If it's a lightweight canvas, I just use a long drywall screw. First drill a small hole - or you can just use a thin nail and hammer it a little into the wall, just to give you a pilot hole. Then, I use screws. Screws are stronger, and if you only have drywall to screw into, screws hold in place better in drywall.

I got a really handy little stud finder at Home Depot recently because I couldn't find my more expensive one, and it worked great. Has a magnet in it, so it just stays on the wall where it finds a screw in a stud.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Stud...0107/205554450

You shouldn't need a level, if you are only putting one screw for one picture.

Sometimes when you hang something and it's level, it won't look level because the walls and doorways, etc., aren't level or square anymore. So, sometimes you just need to eyeball it. Another trick I've learned, is to measure from the floor, if you need to drill more than one hole to hang something, like a large canvas that you want to hang with two screws. Then, even if the picture isn't perfectly level, it will look level in the room.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
I recently discovered products called picture hangers that you find at Home Depot. It's basically a glorified nail at an angle and will leave a tiny mark. A nail at an angle probably will work for the lightest things.

This little hanger from Ook supports 30lbs. If your thing actually weighs 30lbs, I would go for an Ook picture hanger that supports 100lbs.

Someone tested drywall anchors vs picture hangers and I think the picture hangers did pretty good. 1/16" hole for "small", and "small" supported 60lbs before it failed. Plastic anchor supported 80lbs, but its hole was 4x as big. Plus, with plastic anchor, you have to drill pilot hole and make a mess, and if you mess up, you're stuck with a big hole.
https://www.todayshomeowner.com/test...cture-hangers/

Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If you seriously don't want to have any type of holes, regardless of size-

Command hooks is your answer.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
A large sized sewing needle for pictures up to 5lbs. Hammer it into the wall until only 1/4 of an inch sticks out. Most hanging pictures have a place on the right and left side to hang. Two needles are plenty of strength. I learned this from a Home Interiors seller.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...es-wall-jan07/

Old 06-21-2018, 01:51 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you seriously don't want to have any type of holes, regardless of size-

Command hooks is your answer.
I wouldn't trust those for anything w/glass...

Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wouldn't trust those for anything w/glass...
Agreed, but if the OP wants no holes at all, this would be their only option. If they don't mind small holes, then the picture hangers recommended above is what should be used.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
I've found command hooks to be pretty dang strong. They come off well too. The picture hangers with the angled nails also work great, and the smaller ones leave a hole that is imperceptible unless you're looking for it. If you have white walls, a dab of (white) toothpaste fills them in great.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
To hang a heavier item and not have to drill an anchor into the wall, consider this type hanger:

https://www.wayfair.ca/v/checkout/ba...1&sku=TKHC1035

You can find them at Michaels and other similar stores. They punch a tiny hole, then when you insert them all the way in behind the drywall and rotate them, they sit up against the back of the drywall and support a lot of weight. But you still only have the tiny hole in the wall. They are easy to get out.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Your link isn't valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating