Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at your inspiration photo. I just can't see open shelves with your bright white cabinets and sleek countertop. Notice everything is more matte in the inspiration photo? I'd paint the cabinets before doing the open shelving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Been there - washed everything every two weeks. Never again.
Same here..I have no desire to ever go through that again

Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I would NEVER choose open shelving No way. Far too much cleaning. And I'm not sure why you think that would give MORE storage - I think it would be less. And you would put that mixer up there? Yikes.

Save up for new cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would NEVER choose open shelving No way. Far too much cleaning. And I'm not sure why you think that would give MORE storage - I think it would be less. And you would put that mixer up there? Yikes.

Save up for new cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.
This. There is so much wasted space in the current set with the trim at the top that could be used to either make a taller shelf or add an additional row. I suppose the thought with shelving is that you don’t have the loss of space between cabinets, but you can’t put items right at the edge on open shelves like you can in a cabinet because then you will have stuff falling into the sink or microwave. I also don’t see how subway tiles will make the home more period appropriate. If that is the aim, repainting the cabinets in a matte color and changing the pulls should be enough.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, to be truly period-appropriate you would have a brick floor in the kitchen with one big pine table, several chairs, and do all your cooking at a large wood burning fireplace.

I wouldn't recommend that!

So, anything relatively traditional at least won't be too jarring. I would look at kitchen designs of the 1930s and 40s for inspiration.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Here's a different perspective for you. Consider installing new bead board cabinet doors only on the bottom cabinets. For the uppers, I'd have custom cabinets made using the same style doors but instead of a 12" deep cabinet, have them built to 14" deep and maybe even 16" deep. Yields a ton of room. You can run them to the ceiling if you need more space. If you don't like the white, there are a lot of colors that are "historic" that would really set the kitchen off. The bead board is consistent with old houses. Might even consider a wainscot in the kitchen area of bead board. I'd visit the Sherwin Williams paint store in the area for historic colors. They have a bunch.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
No open shelving for me ever. I jam stuff in my cupboards and keep the doors closed so it looks nice and tidy. No way I want to have to worry about how the shelves look. Just want to be able to close the doors.

I personally really dislike stainless steel appliances. They're so cold. if you just changed the appliances the kitchen wouldn't look so modern compared to the rest of the house.

The kitchen is actually really attractive. But, since you're someone who wanted an historic home, I can understand why you don't like it.

If it was my home, I'd want to get rid of the stainless steel, and put in vintage ones, or vintage-looking ones in vintage colors. Something like this, which is crazy expensive, but just as an example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hallman-...FYyrZAod378P_g

And really, the easiest, cheapest thing you could do is just paint the walls first. Depending on the colors in the rest of the house - but a warmer color on the walls might soften the whole room, without having to make any other major changes, until you're ready to do that.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
This has all been very helpful--thank you all so much. I'm going to put this on the back burner and continue to think about all my options. I definitely think the kitchen would benefit from the advice offered here: cabinets that reach the ceiling for more storage, deeper shelves for more storage, etc. If I were to gut this kitchen and start over (which will likely happen within the next 10 years), I think I would completely change the layout, so I'm really trying to figure out if I should make any changes until then or just wait and do the entire kitchen over at once.

Also, thanks to those of you who have experience with open shelving and warned me of the dust. That was my biggest concern and I do think it would drive me nuts.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No open shelving for me ever. I jam stuff in my cupboards and keep the doors closed so it looks nice and tidy. No way I want to have to worry about how the shelves look. Just want to be able to close the doors.

I personally really dislike stainless steel appliances. They're so cold. if you just changed the appliances the kitchen wouldn't look so modern compared to the rest of the house.

The kitchen is actually really attractive. But, since you're someone who wanted an historic home, I can understand why you don't like it.

If it was my home, I'd want to get rid of the stainless steel, and put in vintage ones, or vintage-looking ones in vintage colors. Something like this, which is crazy expensive, but just as an example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hallman-...FYyrZAod378P_g

And really, the easiest, cheapest thing you could do is just paint the walls first. Depending on the colors in the rest of the house - but a warmer color on the walls might soften the whole room, without having to make any other major changes, until you're ready to do that.
This oven is stunning! I am definitely keeping this in mind for a future remodel.

I'm a big fan of painting. And color. But I'm mildly obsessed with the color of our kitchen/dining room, so I'm not sure if I'll ever change it. And that is a big statement coming from me because I'll paint a room at the drop of a hat.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, to be truly period-appropriate you would have a brick floor in the kitchen with one big pine table, several chairs, and do all your cooking at a large wood burning fireplace.

I wouldn't recommend that!

So, anything relatively traditional at least won't be too jarring. I would look at kitchen designs of the 1930s and 40s for inspiration.
Haha, I often think of that. Our kitchen faces the fireplace (8 feet long with original bread oven) and it still has the original pot holder in the fireplace. While I'm cooking at my stove I think about how people used to have to prepare their meals and it certainly makes me feel fortunate! Though I wouldn't mind a brick floor. And we do have a 9 foot reclaimed pine table where we eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating