Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Jaclyn Peters Design

I just love this! There is no way on earth that I could ever have this, or even a reasonable facsimile of it. But, wow, I love the look of it.

I'm sure you could make some smaller changes and use some of the same elements. Maybe paint your cabinets, change your hardware, and add some of the lights. I don't know what kind of counter you have but maybe refinish yours for the color that is shown.

It's not my thing but it would be cool in someone else's house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm sure you could make some smaller changes and use some of the same elements. Maybe paint your cabinets, change your hardware, and add some of the lights. I don't know what kind of counter you have but maybe refinish yours for the color that is shown.

It's not my thing but it would be cool in someone else's house
I am not painting my cabs! I have many, many cabs . It would cost the earth to have it done and my cabs are in good condition, so there is no justification. As I have pointed out earlier, I am 71. At this point in my life I have come to the acceptance that there are many, many things I will not get to do.

However, I do love the look of that kitchen.

By the way, I have remodeled two kitchens in my life.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not painting my cabs! I have many, many cabs . It would cost the earth to have it done and my cabs are in good condition, so there is no justification. As I have pointed out earlier, I am 71. At this point in my life I have come to the acceptance that there are many, many things I will not get to do.

However, I do love the look of that kitchen.

By the way, I have remodeled two kitchens in my life.

I hear you. When I am 71 I will be finished with kitchen remodels. Heck I want to be finished now, lol, but I'm sure there will be a few more on the horizon.

I also wouldn't paint cabinets if they were in good condition.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
i like it, but it appears the oven doors will hit the counter when opened. Seems awful tight - imagine having to take your 20 lb turkey out of the oven at an angle because the door won't open all the way. Even if it does, there's no room to stand in front of the oven when the doors are opened.

Someone designed that kitchen that didn't do much cooking IMO.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
I like the style of the cabinets, but not crazy about that particular color.

I love gas so much I cannot imagine using anything else, but I hear people rave about induction. Very unsure about making the switch though.

Silibran, my parents are in their 70s too and seem to be constantly remodeling. They bought the house new about 25 years ago and have really kept it up. The last time I was there I noticed new bamboo floors in the foyer and new hardwoods everywhere else. I think my dad may have actually installed the flooring himself. Also, there was new furniture in the office. The one thing they haven't tackeled yet is the kitchen. They expanded it a few years ago, but kept the same cabinets. The lighting in there is so good though, they might get away with leaving it. The appliances are recently replaced. I'm sure there are simple things you can do - paint on the walls, lighting, etc. that will make your new kitchen a warm space to enjoy!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
i like it, but it appears the oven doors will hit the counter when opened. Seems awful tight - imagine having to take your 20 lb turkey out of the oven at an angle because the door won't open all the way. Even if it does, there's no room to stand in front of the oven when the doors are opened.

Someone designed that kitchen that didn't do much cooking IMO.
9th picture down, there seems to be plenty of room. I think the camera angle makes it seem smaller than it actually is.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I like this kitchen too but she keeps talking about the "green cabinets" and they look VERY blue to me -- not green at all. My computer monitor usually isn't THAT far off! (She also calls the barstools gray but they look white to me!)
She has addressed it before. The cabinets look blue in the photos, but they are an evergreen color.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

It's also very common but not very good that the floors are wood. My kitchen floors are also wood, they were wood in my condo too, but our neighbors had a water leak and because the exact match wood was impossible to find they ended up having to replace the entire flooring for the whole condo because of the kitchen wood damage ($15,000). In a kitchen, I think the best look is polished concrete or those wood tile floors, which are fantastic because they look just like wood but they're far more durable. I can understand people's aversion to ugly tile floors, because wood just looks better, but that's why I like the compromise of something that looks like wood but is actually tile. It's like the best of both worlds.
Well, if you go with wood floors in a kitchen, it's best to go with engineered wood floors - the best quality you can get because they vary. They are more resistant to buckling.

Of course standing water will damage any type of wood flooring.

Personally, there is too much standing involved in kitchens for me to ever be happy with a tile or concrete floor. They are hard on the joints and I come from a family with bad knees.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
It is a very lovely kitchen which integrates a warmth of a farm kitchen with a modern style. the open pot storage near the cooktop is something I incorporated recently into my kitchen. our closed kitchen island was replaced with an open shelving kitchen island. pots and pans, wine racks and baskets of potatoes, onions, tomatoes are easily accessed now rather than in drawers and cabinets. the only problem with open shelving is it gathers lots of dust!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I love this room so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating