Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I neglected to mention that I have an embarrassingly large set of Portmeirion Botanic Garden. It seems so passe now that I rarely use most of it including the teapots in various sizes. I do have one large vase that sees some use.

We went to the UK a number of times on cruises and I always bought some there to bring home with me. Then friends started gifting me with it.

In case there's one person left in the world who's never seen this pattern:

https://www.portmeirion.com/collecti...ic-garden.html

All I really need is a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I'll ever want to buy. Is that too much to ask?
I had never seen it but now that I have, I do like it. Very pretty. I wouldn't mind having my morning tea or coffee in that big cup they have. A cheery way to start off your morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I've had these since I was a new bride, which makes them vintage now, lol. Cheap but they do the job, Crown Ming Royal Palm
https://d29jd5m3t61t9.cloudfront.net...520872888.jpeg

If I ever feel the need to replace them I'll probably go for something with a lot more color!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Do you want to dream about getting new dishes?
I dream about have a pantry that is large enough to store all the dishes that I want to buy. We currently go back and forth between our white Pillivuyt, mismatched Polish Pottery, some goldish-brown stoneware in not-so-good shape made by a NH potter, and the Minton china from when we got married. Sometimes I see something pretty that strikes my eye and I'd love to get it just because it's pretty and makes me feel good.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:44 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I dream about have a pantry that is large enough to store all the dishes that I want to buy. We currently go back and forth between our white Pillivuyt, mismatched Polish Pottery, some goldish-brown stoneware in not-so-good shape made by a NH potter, and the Minton china from when we got married. Sometimes I see something pretty that strikes my eye and I'd love to get it just because it's pretty and makes me feel good.
It’s it all about feeling good? Life is short.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I am pretty minimalist when it comes to everyday dishes. We had a Dansk set from our wedding that got fairly beat up over 10 years or so. About 5 years ago, we replaced them with these and I love them

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...=PRODUCTSEARCH

If I were to go with color, I would pick a blue and white as we accent a lot with that and I have a big dark blue range that is the focal point of my kitchen.

This suits me
https://www.pickardchina.com/Details...6&ProdID=30266

Or this
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...inner%20Plates

I also love Christmas dishes I will admit, even though I'm only in my early 40s We have the PB reindeer set and serving pieces

https://www.potterybarn.com/products...inner%20Plates

I do have formal stuff, but it's just taking up space mostly. It's pretty (white with a platinum band) and I'll get it out for special occasions but it's really rare. My mom also handed me down her Lenox Holiday dishes and I use those just on Christmas day.

Found a picture https://www.replacements.com/webquote/l__copla.htm

https://www.lenox.com/holiday-174-8-...duct/146504010
I see there's another Apilco fan in the thread! I replaced my old dishes with Apilco about ten years ago, and I still love it. For the winter holidays, I have a set of inexpensive red dishes from Target that I mix in with the Apilco, and dressed up with a bit of natural greenery, it looks just lovely for a Christmas brunch.

I do not have any formal china, but my mom has a set of Fostoria glass dinnerware that belonged to my grandmother than I would love to have someday.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

If you could throw out all your old dishes and start fresh, what would you pick?
paper plates

Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Im a middle age man, and I dont know much about dishes, but te one thing I have noticed is that they dont seem to last well, having chips all over.
I remember growing up my mother had dishes what seemed like forever and none of them ever had chips or broke.

When I had re done my kitchen years ago, I splurged and went to bed bath beyone and bought new dishes to match, they were so pretty. but.....
within the year 2 of the coffee mugs then handles broke off and i remember dropping a dish and it broke, alond with many chips.
I was very dissappointed, i thought they would have lasted years. the chips drove me crazy, so...

I then bought new dishes again from BBB, and unfortunetely, these also, are all starting to chip here and there.
????

Do they not make them as good as years ago? I dont think they were exactly cheap though..

and why is it, if I bought cheap plain dishes at the junk stores in the neighborhood, they would most likley last forever, but the pretty ones, will get all chipped.

I give up now, and am just keeping the ones I have now, chips and all....

Is there a bracnd that doesnt chip as much that I dont know about?
I knoe correlle is supposed to be good? are they?

the chips really do make me nuts.

One of my bowls must have chipped and there was a slice of the chip in the drain, that i did not realize, so when the sink was satarting to get clooged as I was washing them, I out my finger near the drain to unclear it, thinking there was food in the way, and it wasnt . The chip piece was there and I sliced the tip of my index finger open, OMG, need I say more?...

ugh!!!

maybe you knowledgeable ladies cant help a dumb man out on chip fee dish brands?? if there are any....

-sigh-----

Old 09-27-2018, 07:46 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Im a middle age man, and I dont know much about dishes, but te one thing I have noticed is that they dont seem to last well, having chips all over.
I remember growing up my mother had dishes what seemed like forever and none of them ever had chips or broke.

When I had re done my kitchen years ago, I splurged and went to bed bath beyone and bought new dishes to match, they were so pretty. but.....
within the year 2 of the coffee mugs then handles broke off and i remember dropping a dish and it broke, alond with many chips.
I was very dissappointed, i thought they would have lasted years. the chips drove me crazy, so...

I then bought new dishes again from BBB, and unfortunetely, these also, are all starting to chip here and there.
????

Do they not make them as good as years ago? I dont think they were exactly cheap though..

and why is it, if I bought cheap plain dishes at the junk stores in the neighborhood, they would most likley last forever, but the pretty ones, will get all chipped.

One of my bowls must have chipped and there was a slice of the chip in the drain, that i did not realize, so when the sink was satarting to get clooged as I was washing them, I out my finger near the drain to unclear it, thinking there was food in the way, and it wasnt . The chip piece was there and I sliced the tip of my index finger open, OMG, need I say more?...

ugh!!!

maybe you knowledgeable ladies cant help a dumb man out on chip fee dish brands?? if there are any....

-sigh-----
I would bet that your mom had Fiesta Ware. They still make it and I've had mine for 8 years now and still no chips.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:50 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Perhaps it is because we are all handling them more, putting them in and out of the dishwasher. I think chipping is inevitable, so it’s best to choose dishes that are a popular long lived pattern, rather than something that is the latest and greatest.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

????

ugh!!!

-sigh-----
Someone will no doubt beat me to it, but it matters WHAT dishes are made OF. Earthenware with chip if you look at it. Bone china can be sturdy. Diner-type china such as Fiesta is heavy but durable. Stoneware may craze. Corelle can bounce off a vinyl floor with no damage.

If you 'ping' earthenware it sounds dry and hollow. China and Corelle are more musical. It pays to know the composition of your dinnerware.

This message was brought to you by the American Council of Certified Dish Fiends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating