Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

LOL guests who lift our plates (and we've caught some doing that) are treated to the Syracuse China backstamp.

Except for one fine china set that's stored in the basement, I donated the sets of "fancy" china, including our wedding dishes (I retained a platter or two), and kept the Syracuse China. I have 5 patterns, and change them seasonally. Between my husband and our boys (and occasional drops by me ), it's been indestructible. Not one chip in decades of use.

I purchased through the original SC. The patterns offered were varied--some plain, but others beautiful and more detailed. I'm particularly fond of the scalloped oval plates. Sadly, production left the U.S. in 2009 or so. But original SC pieces, including sets, are abundant, and can be found on the cheap at flea/antique markets, at least in this region.

Thumbs-up, too, for the beautiful Fiesta Ware--another quality, made in the U.S.A. success.

P.S. So, no. I don't need any more dishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I saw this feature about Fiesta Ware when it originally ran about 6 years ago on Sunday Morning. I was happy to find it online because know fans will enjoy it. And the Homer Laughlin Co. is still making its china in West Virginia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ZmF6C27_Y

Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I saw this feature about Fiesta Ware when it originally ran about 6 years ago on Sunday Morning. I was happy to find it online because know fans will enjoy it. And the Homer Laughlin Co. is still making its china in West Virginia:
This feature is great! It made me happy just watching it. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I need a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I already have, plus the ones I want to buy.

A 20x20 butler's pantry ought to do.
We’re actually looking at a house that has a butler’s pantry and includes a “catering kitchen” in the BP. I told DH I have to see this for myself.

Quote:
I collect LuRay, and it is fragile. Not as fragile as other dinnerware lines - Stangl, for instance - but it chips and crazes easily.
I sold a lot of Stangl when I was an antiques and collectibles dealer. Beautiful stuff.

I’ve never seen much LuRay here on the west coast.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 PM

388 posts, read 473,702 times
I'm excited about getting new plates, bowls, platters, etc.

I'm moving to another state next year or so and will buy them there.

Iitalla Thule design.
https://www.iittala.com/search?q=thu...ates+and+bowls

I already have lots of glasses, pitchers, and serving bowls in this pattern and I love it.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:01 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL guests who lift our plates (and we've caught some doing that) are treated to the Syracuse China backstamp.

Except for one fine china set that's stored in the basement, I donated the sets of "fancy" china, including our wedding dishes (I retained a platter or two), and kept the Syracuse China. I have 5 patterns, and change them seasonally. Between my husband and our boys (and occasional drops by me ), it's been indestructible. Not one chip in decades of use.

I purchased through the original SC. The patterns offered were varied--some plain, but others beautiful and more detailed. I'm particularly fond of the scalloped oval plates. Sadly, production left the U.S. in 2009 or so. But original SC pieces, including sets, are abundant, and can be found on the cheap at flea/antique markets, at least in this region.

Thumbs-up, too, for the beautiful Fiesta Ware--another quality, made in the U.S.A. success.

P.S. So, no. I don't need any more dishes!
I love Syracuse China! I have my mother's entire set from the 1940s which is called Arcadia, including 2 oval platters, sugar and creamer, and two round serving bowls. I believe they discontinued it in 1970. Such a pretty blue and pink delicate floral pattern on an ivory background.

I have my Haviland Bergere set plus Royal Doulton Clarendon. Sadly I don't use them as often as I should. For every day I use Corelle as I just don't like heavy dishes. But I still am so attached to my china sets . . .

Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
I bought one Corelle plate in a smaller size than the ones we usually use. Thought I'd mentally trick myself into thinking I had a full plate of food if it was on a smaller one.

But in the microwave I find this plate gets way hotter than my regular stoneware I generally use. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
The question has been asked about why more chips and dings in the chinaware than years ago. I think it is the counters and sinks are so much harder on dishes now. This is my first solid surface counter and I notice the sound the dishes make when I accidentally tap an edge of a plate on it. Stones are hard on china.

I never noticed this when I had just the laminate counter.

I also notice the extra deep sink and the high arch faucet harder to manage with heavy dishes.

I have a set that was bought a dish a week at a supermarket and it's not pretty and it's heavy but its complete and I'm too frugal to get rid of it and get something lighter. I should find a link...

Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I just bought new dishes from BB&B, yikes.....when I got home, they are the same brand that I had before that all chipped, but in a different color.
I guess my eye went to the same type of pattern, or no pattern.

ok, lets see how long this set takes before they chip.

*************sigh***************
Attached Thumbnails
Do you want to dream about getting new dishes?-dishes-001.jpg  

Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I just bought new dishes from BB&B, yikes.....when I got home, they are the same brand that I had before that all chipped, but in a different color.
I guess my eye went to the same type of pattern, or no pattern......
Isn't it funny how that works! Attractive dishes. Hope these last longer for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating