Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gable bracket color
Brownish stain/paint 5 55.56%
White 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:07 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'm painting my house (staying with the same color), the painter is also a carpenter and I had him add some gable brackets and a piece of wood trim in the center. Should I paint/stain the gable brackets a cedar/brown color or paint it white like the rest of the trim? The wife and I have gone back and forth with this and can't decide, painter is going to paint this Saturday, so need to decide. What would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 06:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Band on garage- white.

Brackets- stain. Not paint! If you're going to the trouble of adding them, don't cheap-out with painting them a "stain-like" color. That's pretty much the only way I've seen them here in the ATL.

One other note- make sure you have metal drip flashing above the band- or you'll be replacing it in about 3-4yrs.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
If you were painting your house a "clean and bright" color, I'd say to keep it all white.

Since you are keeping the beige exterior, and the new details and existing dormer read "Craftsman", I think you should make ALL the trim brown to match the roof, including the currently white trim around the windows and front door, and the trim along the roof.

Just go all the way to Craftsman and keep all the trim uniformly brown. It will look more purposeful and charming.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Band on garage- white.

Brackets- stain. Not paint! If you're going to the trouble of adding them, don't cheap-out with painting them a "stain-like" color. That's pretty much the only way I've seen them here in the ATL.

One other note- make sure you have metal drip flashing above the band- or you'll be replacing it in about 3-4yrs.
Too late for the semi transparent stain, they started painting them white before I told them we may stain it-so I'm stuck with those solid stains that look like paint or have them finish painting them white. Yes, they installed flashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
If you were painting your house a "clean and bright" color, I'd say to keep it all white.

Since you are keeping the beige exterior, and the new details and existing dormer read "Craftsman", I think you should make ALL the trim brown to match the roof, including the currently white trim around the windows and front door, and the trim along the roof.

Just go all the way to Craftsman and keep all the trim uniformly brown. It will look more purposeful and charming.
Yeah, I know beige is so 10yrs ago but we still like the color, the painters already started painting the white trim and brown seems like it would just disappear with the roof.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Painting them a brown or the color of the roof would really give it some architectural interest and really class it up, in my opinion. Painting them white will just make it fade into the background.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
white will look fine. Nice looking house.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 AM

I went with a dark brown for gable and white for center trim.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
LAB6120: I went with a dark brown for gable and white for center trim.

That turned out really nice, OP. I like how the dark brown gable looks with the roof.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Really nice job! Looks amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating