Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I blame the current mentality of constantly wanting to "update" on HGTV. I don't remember the obsession with new bathrooms and kitchens and floors years ago. Maybe it's also because people move more often now and are constantly thinking of re-sale.

When I bought my house I couldn't wait to tear out the "new" Home Depot light fixtures and replace them with vintage ones or to repaint the hideous colors. I even had to put it in the contract that, if the seller painted the woodwork, I wouldn't buy the house.
So what you are saying is that you are entitled to have preferences about what your house looks like, and make the changes necessary to make your house fit those preferences but people who have a different opinion about how they want their house to look aren't allowed to have their own preferences when they differ from yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,485,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So what you are saying is that you are entitled to have preferences about what your house looks like, and make the changes necessary to make your house fit those preferences but people who have a different opinion about how they want their house to look aren't allowed to have their own preferences when they differ from yours?
I don't think they said that at all.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,268,720 times
Quote:
I blame the current mentality of constantly wanting to "update" on HGTV. I don't remember the obsession with new bathrooms and kitchens and floors years ago. Maybe it's also because people move more often now and are constantly thinking of re-sale.

When I bought my house I couldn't wait to tear out the "new" Home Depot light fixtures and replace them with vintage ones or to repaint the hideous colors. I even had to put it in the contract that, if the seller painted the woodwork, I wouldn't buy the house.
Totally agree. Just the other day, my wife was watching "Property Brothers", and one of the brothers walked into a house and said "eewwww, this kitchen is soooo 2005".

I just had to laugh and leave the room.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:

People have been updating their homes for as long as there have been homes. My parents updated their kitchen after living in there for 20 years or so. They built the house, choosing cabs and appliances. I well remember the looong afternoon when my mom debated whether to choose an electric cooktop.

Fast forward to when I was married, and suddenly they were updating their kitchen.

I personally have remodeled two kitchens: we did one in 1980 and another in 1999.

I don't think I am unique.

You get to choose what you want to do with your house. I take it you improved it by ripping out what you did not like and adding what you did. This is not so different from what others do. They rip out what they do not like and add what they do.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,506,631 times
I'm just saying people's "taste" is usually some generic version of a trend they see on HGTV. It's not original or unique or timeless. It's just the current fashion. The reason everything ono HGTV looks alike is because the companies that sell all of the stuff are their advertisers, not because of great design.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
I'm just saying people's "taste" is usually some generic version of a trend they see on HGTV. It's not original or unique or timeless. It's just the current fashion. The reason everything ono HGTV looks alike is because the companies that sell all of the stuff are their advertisers, not because of great design.
People buy what they can find to buy. If a certain style is on trend, it can be purchased. If it isnot on trend, it is really hard to find it to buy.

Case in point: a period specific wingback chair. They are not on trend, so that style is hard to find.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Your opinion. That doesn't mean the things you like are automatically any more original or unique or timeless, they just happen to be what you like.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Sometimes a man just has to have his Sub-Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
"eewwww, this kitchen is soooo 2005"
Well, our kitchen was brand new in 2011 and we did a major renovation in 2017.
We wanted the appliances and layout that met our desires.
We could afford it.
We are mentally amortizing the expense over 20 years.
A year+ later, I think it was worth it.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM

24,466 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Your opinion. I have not watched HGTV for as long as I can remember. We built/remodeled five homes around a painting. 6x8 acrylic, similar to John Nieto and now it has two cousins.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,506,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Your opinion. That doesn't mean the things you like are automatically any more original or unique or timeless, they just happen to be what you like.
My house was originally designed by an architect as his own house so it is definitely unique. I specified when I was house hunting that the number 1 criteria was the architecture. I didn't even look at any houses built after 1980.. As far as decor I have mainly classic modernist furniture (Corbusier sofa, Barcelona chairs, Pierre Cardin). No one who knows anything about design will ever look at it and go "it's so 90's" or 80's...70's maybe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating