Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM

6,733 posts, read 9,302,899 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid-30s, but my own personal style is to use older ornaments/lights/etc that I remember from when I was growing up in the 1980s. My grandparents had old ornaments and I have some of those now. I also use large C9 bulbs on the outside of my house, plastic candles in my windows, old shiny brite ornaments on the tree, and I have a some indoor C7 bulb and also bubble lights that go one my trees. I have one larger artificial tree and one pencil tree that I use in different rooms.

I also really like the old petal reflector lights, like these as an example.

I'm in Colorado, but I've bought my "candles in the windows" traditions with me from the east coast.

I don't like LED Christmas lights and I don't really buy any new decorations, though occasionally I'll buy something old on eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,550,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Tree decor seems to reflect house decor. Now much of it seems to be mid-century modern and pink and jewel tones, silver and white.

Away from the gold and greens and reds.

Outdoor lights vary. I hope those laser shows that people have been pointing at their houses are finally out of style

I wish candles in all the windows would make a comeback. I just feel it's perfection and nothing else is needed
Plenty of people in my area (including me) go the classic route with candles and a wreath in each window of their houses. It looks inviting, if a bit understated to see a house decorated in that manner--especially when there's snow on the ground.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM

41,923 posts, read 75,082,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Plenty of people in my area (including me) go the classic route with candles and a wreath in each window of their houses. It looks inviting, if a bit understated to see a house decorated in that manner--especially when there's snow on the ground.
I did this with a previous house, which was painted white with forest green trim - halfway there in decorating for Christmas, right? I put candles in the windows, a wreath on the door, the tree in the front window - done!

I miss that house ... LOL This one requires more effort to look festive.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 PM

503 posts, read 771,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I LOVE IT!

I found a green ceramic lighted Christmas tree on Craig's List a few years ago, but those white ones are rare - and to die for!.
I just picked this one up at a local antique shop for about $30. I love it!! The pic doesn't do it justice - it's a pearlescent white. The star needs to be fixed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Decorating trends-white-tree.jpg  

Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM

13,046 posts, read 18,055,785 times
I have a tree that my mom made back in the day that ceramics was popular it is about 18 inches tall and I just love having it so many years later.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:11 PM

24,058 posts, read 32,378,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
I just picked this one up at a local antique shop for about $30. I love it!! The pic doesn't do it justice - it's a pearlescent white. The star needs to be fixed as well.
Oh that one is so pretty! I need to find a white one!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM

24,058 posts, read 32,378,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a tree that my mom made back in the day that ceramics was popular it is about 18 inches tall and I just love having it so many years later.
They are back in style! Show us a picture.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:40 PM

255 posts, read 168,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
It looks like these are coming back in style!https://www.target.com/p/mr-christma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oddly enough this came up in my search for a retro tree lamp. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind! LOL

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,994,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
It looks like these are coming back in style!https://www.target.com/p/mr-christma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oddly enough this came up in my search for a retro tree lamp. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind! LOL
Yes, I noticed they were also selling them at Lowe's, along with other retro looking Christmas decorations.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Pr...hts/1000526519

Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 AM

13,046 posts, read 18,055,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They are back in style! Show us a picture.
A soon as Thanksgiving is over I will get it out and post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating