Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times

Advertisements

I talked to my friend, the whole side of the wall has that texture, so we're leaving it, not worth the trouble

The previous owners used a semi gloss paints in the most hideous colors (purple, orange, pink), so every wall imperfection was magnified. I painted the upstairs neutral colors and it looks wonderful, the wall imperfections aren't noticeable.

The kitchen has that rough texture too, it looked fine after I painted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Buttercream.

You need light.... and warm tone.

But.. yeah.. you do have to scrape those walls first.
Yes. A very light, warm, creamy white. Stay away from saturated colors. I don’t think you are going for high concept here. Just make the place look pulked together. And if your friend hasn’t already, get rid of those stupid curtains. They make no sense.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Someone left me a rep comment without saying who they are - that Behr paints are expensive, and the OP wants to save money.

if you buy a paint that is high quality, and is a paint and primer in one - you save money.

Sure, buy cheap stuff and then you end up painting several coats and spend a ton of time doing it. Or, you buy quality paint and primer in one and only need one coat on most of the job.

I think doing this is more cost-effective. But of course, everyone has to make their own decisions.

I love the Behr paint in primer in one for my crafts and furniture painting and walls, etc. I'm old and have done lots of painting for walls and other projects, and I have come to decide that the Behr paint and primer in one is the best paint I've ever used.

Your mieage may vary. But, that's my experience.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Someone left me a rep comment without saying who they are - that Behr paints are expensive, and the OP wants to save money.

if you buy a paint that is high quality, and is a paint and primer in one - you save money.

Sure, buy cheap stuff and then you end up painting several coats and spend a ton of time doing it. Or, you buy quality paint and primer in one and only need one coat on most of the job.

I think doing this is more cost-effective. But of course, everyone has to make their own decisions.

I love the Behr paint in primer in one for my crafts and furniture painting and walls, etc. I'm old and have done lots of painting for walls and other projects, and I have come to decide that the Behr paint and primer in one is the best paint I've ever used.

Your mieage may vary. But, that's my experience.
Wasn't me! I used Behr on his main floor and was less than impressed However, that floor had semi-gloss purple and orange in the Lr/Den which we painted with 2 coats of Glidden Gripper primer and 2 coats of Behr Tuscan Tan. I actually think that any paint would have required the same amt of coats in that dreadful scenario! FYI, no sheer curtains anywhere, some nice brown panels, totally different look. This was the other owner's furniture as well

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/...1000000000.jpg
https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/...1000000000.jpg

I might try the Ace Hardware Royal paint since it is cheap, I have a coupon, and it has good reviews.

In the past my favorite paint was Olympic Assure at $20 a gallon, which covered my friend's light blue kitchen nicely with one coat. They don't make it anymore--probably not cost effective

Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I wouldnt do a thing to it.
let the new people paint it.
if your friend didnt paint it for himself why do it for someone esle.
i just cant grasp this concept.
its a basement.
i dont think it matters

Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I wouldnt do a thing to it.
let the new people paint it.
if your friend didnt paint it for himself why do it for someone esle.
i just cant grasp this concept.
its a basement.
i dont think it matters

Sometimes, though, when selling a place, spending $100 on paint can net you thousands.

Paint is so cheap, but it makes a place look fresh and clean and bright.

Just think about cars for sale. You can see the same exact used car, in the same exact mechanical condition, but if one of them has faded, ugly paint, it will sell for much less than one with paint that looks good.

So, the reward for the effort and cost is usually well worth it for the returns.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sometimes, though, when selling a place, spending $100 on paint can net you thousands.

Paint is so cheap, but it makes a place look fresh and clean and bright.
I agree, we're painting because it's only a few days, a few hundred dollars, and it will elevate the house in an area where a lot of the houses haven't been freshly painted (or painted in weird colors)

Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^ while you all make sense, I just felt cause it was a basement.
if you feel it will make you get more money, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating