Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM

496 posts, read 441,536 times

Advertisements

I've almost stopped watching those House Hunter type shows, because I get so tired of the comments. They will often say "OMG! Golden oak and brass, tear it out!" Or they say "I love the granite and stainless steel". I want to say, do YOU love it or will you love showing it off to your friends?

I even heard a lady recently calling the laminate counter tops "acrylic". The realtor even said "yes, acrylic counter tops, but they're in good shape." I wanted to say at least get the name right even if you don't like them, geez.

Personally I think some people have way more money than they have sense. I don't get people my age going out and paying $600k or even $200k for a huge house. How are they affording it, inheritance? I guess it's none of my business anyway, but I don't get why some people act like it's nothing to have all that stuff. They act as if it's how everyone lives, that everyone has all of that stuff, all of that money, it's just the way it is for everyone. Well, it's not in my area anyway.

I don't think I'm jealous, because I know having a huge house with all those upgrades will not make me happy.

But everyone just seems so programmed that they HAVE to have all that stuff. I guess I would never fit in their social circle because if I had a house it surely wouldn't fit their needs, so they would never come over. Or they might say "Did you see their house, ugh! It doesn't have stainless steel appliances and it has OAK cabinets!" Or "did you see those tacky laminate countertops," I feel so sorry for them." LOL

I do like the shows though, when the houses don't have all of those things but the people seem to not even mention it, or they point out something else they really like, yet clearly have no intention to remodel either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 AM

18,371 posts, read 31,475,415 times
my favorite is when the man wants the huge back yard at 20 something years old. While it sounds nice, and it does, it doesnt, however, take care of it self....

mowing grass is not something you want to do after working all day, trust me on that.
and then you can get a gardner, then that is more money.....

all the constant comments about watching the freaking "game" turns my stomach.
all the same comments as we have all said here many times over.
oh, i can see the neighbors house.
ok, where did you grown up? did your parents house face neighbors house?
do you think the neighbor is thrilled about seeing your house?

and then in the bedroom, i can see the neighbors house.
well, most people, not everyone though, but Im almost certain that most people have some sort of window covering on thier bedroom windows.....

its like these are all "duh"??????

its those same old constant dumb ass comments that really can make you crazy, I dont watch them any more, unless theres absoultely nothing on and im flipping channels.....

Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM

24,031 posts, read 10,384,550 times
It is TV

Your house - your taste - your needs - your budget.
My house - my taste - my budget

Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,424,888 times
You know most of the banter isn't sincere, right? Since the guests already have contracts in place before they roll tape, the guests have to have something to say. Usually negative. It's pretty much fake.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 AM

496 posts, read 441,536 times
I know, it's funny when you think the other houses weren't even ones they were looking at when they bought theirs. That makes the show make even less sense...

I think many of us would like a huge back yard but I agree, who wants the maintenance after working all week?

Plus I imagine many think they will have all those gatherings, friends coming to watch the game, dinners, etc, in the new house but it doesn't happen. It's just a fantasy that people have but don't really have time to actually do that often.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:50 AM

14,342 posts, read 11,852,839 times
Fashion is always like that though isn't it?

We look at a lot of houses, we see a lot of grey walls, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, yellow throw pillows and words on the wall.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM

14,342 posts, read 11,852,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Plus I imagine many think they will have all those gatherings, friends coming to watch the game, dinners, etc, in the new house but it doesn't happen. It's just a fantasy that people have but don't really have time to actually do that often.

The Hallmark Card effect. Every singles ad says they love walks on the beach. We have a beach house... Even the people who live there rarely walk on it.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM

37,470 posts, read 45,693,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I've almost stopped watching those House Hunter type shows, because I get so tired of the comments. They will often say "OMG! Golden oak and brass, tear it out!" Or they say "I love the granite and stainless steel". I want to say, do YOU love it or will you love showing it off to your friends?

I even heard a lady recently calling the laminate counter tops "acrylic". The realtor even said "yes, acrylic counter tops, but they're in good shape." I wanted to say at least get the name right even if you don't like them, geez.

Personally I think some people have way more money than they have sense. I don't get people my age going out and paying $600k or even $200k for a huge house. How are they affording it, inheritance? I guess it's none of my business anyway, but I don't get why some people act like it's nothing to have all that stuff. They act as if it's how everyone lives, that everyone has all of that stuff, all of that money, it's just the way it is for everyone. Well, it's not in my area anyway.

I don't think I'm jealous, because I know having a huge house with all those upgrades will not make me happy.

But everyone just seems so programmed that they HAVE to have all that stuff. I guess I would never fit in their social circle because if I had a house it surely wouldn't fit their needs, so they would never come over. Or they might say "Did you see their house, ugh! It doesn't have stainless steel appliances and it has OAK cabinets!" Or "did you see those tacky laminate countertops," I feel so sorry for them." LOL

I do like the shows though, when the houses don't have all of those things but the people seem to not even mention it, or they point out something else they really like, yet clearly have no intention to remodel either.
Ummm...you're watching TV. Most folks are NOTHING like what you are seeing. You don't think movies are real do you?

Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,195,682 times
These shows are designed to sell "product" – interior designers, landscaping, countertops, cabinets, appliances, flooring, entertainment rooms, trendy furniture, etc. The homeseekers are merely props. And yes, they're designed to make you think that everyone but YOU, poor thing, has these lovely showroom homes throwing parties frequently. Open your wallet and rip out that nasty outdated stuff so that you, too, can join the happy ones.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:34 PM

22,952 posts, read 18,266,938 times
Admit it...most people continue to watch the shows because of the guilty pleasure of snooping into other people's houses, laughing at the decor or design choices, and ridiculing the absurd demands of shoppers. The shoppers that get to me are the perfectly coiffed women in fashion-of-the-second clothing (regardless whether it is appropriate) who want the moon but can't/won't pay for it. I also love the ones who moon over some architectural style and then proceed to nitpick or reject everything specific to that style once they are standing in it.

They should simply cut the predictable comment "it's kind of small." from the dialogue entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating