Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

There is a creamy white called navajo white (it's pretty universal and has been around for years) - looks good if you have a warmer color (your tan) for trim, baseboard, etc. - but still - do your ceiling in "ceiling white"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There is a creamy white called navajo white (it's pretty universal and has been around for years) - looks good if you have a warmer color (your tan) for trim, baseboard, etc. - but still - do your ceiling in "ceiling white"
I actually tried Navajo White and believe it or not, it's too green or something up against the tan color. We have the trim color already picked out and started anyway. I can't remember the color name but it's a warm white with no pink or green or gray undertones.

I don't think I want "ceiling white" to be honest. No offense, but I have such tall ceilings and good light in those rooms that I think we can go with a color that has more character without overloading the room or making the ceiling feel heavy.

I talked this over with the designer today and I said, "OK am I crazy? Just tell me. Because what I WANT to do in there is a pale, pale blue - like the palest blue on earth. Would that look ridiculous?" (I already painted my porch ceilings robin egg blue and they are up against white trim and some siding that is tan and it looks GREAT and it can be seen from the windows in these rooms.) She said, "I think it could look fabulous but it can't be too obviously blue so let's try some samples!" So I am going to go get some "ethereal blue" samples tomorrow. I am actually finally excited about the ceiling!

I know, maybe it sounds crazy but it's worth a try! It's just samples, no commitment yet.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:32 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wear goggles/glasses when you're painting.

I concur! And it's usually a good idea to keep your mouth shut too! If your fussy about your hair- a hat!!!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I concur! And it's usually a good idea to keep your mouth shut too! If your fussy about your hair- a hat!!!
I agree - if you're going to actually do the painting! But for me, doing the painting would involve climbing up scaffolding and ladders and I'm telling you - if there's a ladder within 50 feet of me, even if I don't climb up on it, I'm going to fall! NOT WORTH IT.

I would kill myself on some scaffolding. I know when I'm over my head. I put this off for three years hoping that I'd just get accustomed to white on white walls and trim and ceilings in the front of my house but eventually, especially after seeing so much gorgeous trim pop in my neighbors' houses (same builders), I just decided to bite the bullet and pay to have it painted.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hi, y'all. I have a question. Paint is not my strong suit - I just want to pick a color I like and for that color to look great but it doesn't work that way!

I have rich tan, almost like a butternut squash color, on two opposite accent walls in a large space. I am going 25 percent of that color, which is still pretty darn rich and deep believe it or not, on the walls, and I have white trim. I have a big open staircase and then a dining room ceiling (lower but still ten feet) and an office ceiling across the stairwell from the dining room (ten feet tall also). Lots of trim, which will be painted a warm white.

What color do you think I should do the ceiling? White or white with just a touch of the tan color in it? There is a lot of light in this area. I'm leaning toward the white with a touch of the tan in it but to be honest I don't guess I've ever looked at ceilings that hard before!
It is a shame, but I don’t think Martha Stewart does paint anymore, but perhaps you could check online. She had the most wonderful paint sample cards, which matched any wall color with ceiling and trim colors. I used a combo in one of my bedrooms and it is beautiful.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree - if you're going to actually do the painting! But for me, doing the painting would involve climbing up scaffolding and ladders and I'm telling you - if there's a ladder within 50 feet of me, even if I don't climb up on it, I'm going to fall! NOT WORTH IT.

I would kill myself on some scaffolding. I know when I'm over my head. I put this off for three years hoping that I'd just get accustomed to white on white walls and trim and ceilings in the front of my house but eventually, especially after seeing so much gorgeous trim pop in my neighbors' houses (same builders), I just decided to bite the bullet and pay to have it painted.
This may have been mentioned but most paint places have a computer program where you can play with color schemes. Well, most means my local Sherwin Williams store and I noticed it the last time I strolled through Paint at Home Depot.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
White ceilings, always.

no, not really. I do not agree with that at all.

white doesn't always match every decor, especially when ones home has no white in it at all.

just food for thought.

But in KA's scenario, because her trim is white, white would work, unless she deceides of something else.

Like another poster said about adding the "tan", it could look like a smoker lived there, that was a good pick up, as i didnt think of that either.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:54 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
This should help.

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2015...le-blue-paint/

Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Kathryn, the first thing we did on this current house in late 2015 was paint the ceilings. The first owner had them as a crème color that gave off too much of a dull feel to the house. Also, gave off that "smoked" feeling as well, as we knew the husband was a heavy smoker but the wife would not allow him to smoke in the house (only the garage, which was disgusting).

These photos are from late 2015/early 2016. The beige is the previous color, we've since changed over to grey and green, but knowing you have beige/tan walls, maybe these will help to give you some visual cues for going bright white (flat) on the ceilings. We also did the trim in a bright white semi-gloss and the two sheens play well against each other. Our trim paint isn't anything special, builder-grade Duron bright white trim paint (S/Williams, comes in 2 gallon buckets only) but has held up exceptionally well (have used it on all of our doors, plantation shutters, and on the stairs project). You can see the difference in the photo of the foyer window as compared to the door below, and can see it in the close up of the crown being painted against the freshly painted ceiling. If you see white on the top 1 inch of the wall in any of the photos, that's the new ceiling paint. I had the guys paint down the wall about an inch to get into the corners and essentially reset everything. We knew we were going to repaint all of the walls anyway, so the ability to take "taping" off the checklist saved us a good bit of money on the painters.

I'm a huge fan of bright white ceilings personally. I think they allow for more light to reflect into the room, and also let the wall, floor and furniture/stuff colors really pop throughout.

We used based S/Williams bright white flat wall paint. They do have ceiling specific paint (I think it's Ace's brand) that helps to hide and drywall issues on the ceiling better, but our drywall hasn't been a problem for us here, so didn't see the need to spend the extra money on that paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-123.jpg   Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-231.jpg   Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-321.jpg   Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-432.jpg   Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-753.jpg  

Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-789.jpg   Painting a ceiling - looking for tips-9514.jpg  

Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
no, not really. I do not agree with that at all.

white doesn't always match every decor, especially when ones home has no white in it at all.

just food for thought.

But in KA's scenario, because her trim is white, white would work, unless she deceides of something else.

Like another poster said about adding the "tan", it could look like a smoker lived there, that was a good pick up, as i didnt think of that either.
Me either and I am so glad I tried it out - it didn't look like a smoker, but it did look lemony which is THE LAST THING I wanted.

I think I've settled on a very pale blue - it's almost white but has a touch of blue in it. It lifts the ceilings and should give a break from the rich tan color of the walls, and should be a subtle accent to all the gorgeous trim work. I really wanted that to show up.

Pictures don't do it justice - they look a lot darker than it really is.

If it wasn't for someone pointing out "POSSIBLE SMOKER SCENARIO" I probably would have just said, "That's good enough - what do I know?" but once I got to really looking at it again, I realized no way.

This is super complicated! I love color but don't want to have a patchwork of colors going on in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating