Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Would you perhaps be the owner or designer? We dont mean to offend, just different tastes.

LOL, no Diana is just a truly diplomatic and thoughtful realtor. Also, probably one of the most helpful people around here. I've often thought she deserves the City-data's Miss Congeniality award. If there was such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL, no Diana is just a truly diplomatic and thoughtful realtor. Also, probably one of the most helpful people around here. I've often thought she deserves the City-data's Miss Congeniality award. If there was such a thing.

Wow you're sweet. I'll have to be extra congenial today to earn it.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Yes, but the paint color was chosen because it would help the kitchen flow better with the living room. Why not include a picture that shows how well the paint tied everything together?
Because everyone can tell the paint tied everything together just from looking at the various photos. The post is already so long from all the photos.

Quote:

I know the focus wasn't on the fireplace tv, it just seemed odd to me. Like how I think having a round table next to a long rectangular table also looks odd. Why not just put seats at the end of the long table if more seating was needed? Why put two mismatched tables in the same space with mismatched chairs?
It's a fairly large "Eat In" kitchen. It would look weird to have all that empty floor space.

Putting two chairs at the end of the dining table only adds two more seats. They have four seats in the kitchen.

It's an open plan house, so two tables within sight of each other isn't terrible. I imagine it's great at the holidays. No one is banished too far from the main dining table.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
They would have to patch the holes in the center of the drawers that the knobs are currently in.
That’s simple to do.

I would definitely replace the white knobs. They are very drab.

As far as painting the cabinets, Hell yes there are plenty of times where it is quite the right thing to do. For me personally, I much prefer a very light bright kitchen, white beats brown/red for me 100% of the time. So I think this is a great improvement, whether it’s “accessible beige“ or white.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have to admit that I need lots of space for cooking. But just because that's how I keep a kitchen doesn't mean it's right for everyone. I suppose you might not need as much counter space depending on what you make for dinner. The thing that gets me (in both the before and after shots) are the plants. Maybe that's just an issue for me. Can't see myself having a pot filled with dirt and a plant that attracts insects right where I'm preparing food. But who knows, there could be an upside. I suppose you might get some extra protein in your dinner that way.
Silk plants anyone??

Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That’s simple to do.

I would definitely replace the white knobs. They are very drab.
I don't know why anyone would go through all the trouble or repainting cabinets, and even removing some, but not do a simple hardware change. Replacing those knobs would have been the first thing I did. They didn't look horrible before, but after the update they definitely look out of place. They stand out too much and make the cabinets look too busy with all those little white knobs.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
It looks like big box cherry because its unnaturally monochromatic like it's been given a toner in addition to stain and finish.
agree 100%, the color looks fake to me too. And they are partial overlay. They definitely do not strike me as expensive solid cherry cabinets.

I have no problem with painting those cabinets, although I am not a fan of beige and would have wanted some contrast in there instead of beige cabinets, beige counter, beige backsplash.

Quote:
What is even going on there? Is that a tv placed on plywood with a range hood above it?
I was trying to figure that out too. It's hard to imagine how that hole was used when the house was built in 1959, and there were no such things as a flat screen TV - what would have gone in there?? and I can't even begin to figure out what that venthood looking thing would be!

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would go through all the trouble or repainting cabinets, and even removing some, but not do a simple hardware change. Replacing those knobs would have been the first thing I did. They didn't look horrible before, but after the update they definitely look out of place. They stand out too much and make the cabinets look too busy with all those little white knobs.
Yes, it looks like they just re-used the same blah knobs. They definitely could have gotten something that had a little more flair.

And someone else who I forgot to quote tag said the kitchen looked country French, which I completely agree with. I'm not saying they had to try to turn it into some MCM showpiece, but it just doesn't flow with the rest of the house IMO. I know they were stuck with the cabinets the prior owner picked out, but to me, the curtain and rug and decor pushes it even more towards a design aesthetic that clashes with MCM, and I think they could have some up with something a bit more complementary.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I think I've figured out that fireplace. That may have been the original stove and oven. I'm almost willing to bet that's the original kitchen and the new kitchen was either an add on or take out a wall expansion.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
That looks very close to a country kitchen to me. The house lacks cohesiveness. If I were to paint cherry cabinets, I would go bold or go home - black, green, navy, etc.

Maria Killiam is a paint color expert.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:33 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
I think I've figured out that fireplace. That may have been the original stove and oven. I'm almost willing to bet that's the original kitchen and the new kitchen was either an add on or take out a wall expansion.

Not even close! It was an "in-door grill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating