Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 11:53 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

There are no deal breakers for me.
No one is going to offer the kitchen that I want, so I can buy anything and live with it for a few years.
Then, I would gut it and get my requirements met.
We did that with our current house after living in for it 6 years. The microwave handle broke. It was time for the renovation to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:59 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The microwave handle broke. It was time for the renovation to begin.

That's one of the funniest "sparks" I've ever heard!

My sentiments are the same- "my kitchen" is probably not out there; so I look for all the other checkboxes. And an appliance color would certainly not be a deal breaker. But I could certainly see a lack of a d/w AND no room to install one a big problem.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:10 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
most kitchens i could probably live with until I get the kitchen of my choice, but the only one that Id either have to pass on, or would just slop paint on it until i can get the cabinets of my choice is that reddish cherry wood.

there are things that you dont really like, but you can kinda live with it for a while, and then there are the things that you just dont like and absolutley cannot live with, and thats where those reddish cherry wood cabinets fall into play here.

I hate the color and the look of them with every ounce of my being and absolutley could not live with them, not even for a week, id have to go to Lowes buy paint and just paint them, thats how much I just hate them.....and then top them off with SS appliances and Id really wanna vomit......

Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
There are no deal breakers for me.
No one is going to offer the kitchen that I want, so I can buy anything and live with it for a few years.
Then, I would gut it and get my requirements met.
We did that with our current house after living in for it 6 years. The microwave handle broke. It was time for the renovation to begin.
My gut jobs usually start with replacing the kitchen faucet. It has happened twice in my homes and once on a boat. The other day my wife asked "could you fix the kitchen faucet?" I just stared at her.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
When we were house hunting, most of the housing stock was 40+ years old so we had planned on a kitchen reno. The dealbreaker for me was a U shaped kitchen. Too closed off and definitely not enough room for both hubby and I to be in it together. He likes to put dishes away while I’m cooking.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:52 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
The only deal breaker would be too small or open concept. Everything else can be changed.

Cat

Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
The sink.

I hate spot sinks where one side is really tiny. Useless. Personally I prefer one huge sink, if not that a 50/50 split.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:31 PM

409 posts, read 873,289 times
No pantry would be a deal breaker for me. The first time I had a pantry I just shrugged at it. Now I cannot do without one.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:47 AM

805 posts, read 524,498 times
Windows, or the lack thereof.

I need a bright kitchen with multiple windows, including one window over the sink. Sinks with a view of a wall depress me. And I don’t want a sink overlooking the family room, either.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Price fixes just about everything, but there's also the hassle factor to contend with.

Our home's kitchen had not been renovated since it had been built in 1997. It was full of crazy wallpaper and white formica and white tile and golden oak cabinetry. Oh well. What it DID have was lots of room for renovations and counter and island space, and lots of natural light. A small, cramped, dark kitchen with no way to expand it would be a deal breaker to me - or a yucky kitchen (cabinets I hated, weird floor plan, that sort of thing) at price for the house that didn't allow me to redo the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating