Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 PM

17,464 posts, read 65,917,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
I've looked at both antique ceiling tiles and travertine, plus can be hard to keep clean and ceiling tiles don't really go with the countertop and travertine can have issues of discoloring and chipping and although I like that it has tumbled edges that I like, I haven't found any that goes with the countertop. Plus, travertine is hard to keep clean even if it's sealed.

I'm sure "real" patina'd antique ceiling tiles would work- a combination of raw tile, paint, and rust that has been clearcoated. Cleaning is just a matter of a wipe down. I have tumbled travertine- it's sealed and cleaning is just a wipe down.

Ever seen end-grain wood tiles? Something to consider.

I'm curious if you're leaning in any direction- you seem to find negative in the suggestions without hearing the results.

If the countertop material/color is still available- what about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM

99 posts, read 109,549 times
Not solid color or shiny subway and I prefer the smaller 2x4 rather than 3x6 or larger. End grain wood tiles have a grain that doesn't go with the counter since the counter has a lot of veining in it, plus none of the wood tile colors go with the counter. As I said before, the counter is a really funny color with a slight hint of purplish in it. I've thought about real tin ceiling tile since we love old antique tin ceilings, but we have a raw copper sink that changes color(darkens) and gets the green patina around the top edges and it doesn't go real well with the counter color, plus I wouldn't want copper backsplash that would patina like the sink. I think it would be too dark. Also, I don't know how well grease comes off of it, if any grease etc got on it.

Last edited by Kathy246; 05-02-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 04:51 PM

407 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Default Have you looked at slate?

Those tiles can run the gamut of shading, and even if you get the occasional tile that doesn't seem to "fit" with the scheme, they are such random shading that it actually ends up looking very interesting. They also have slightly varied "depths", so that adds a lot more character. My kitchen is not so rustic (maple cabinets with a soapstone countertop and exposed posts and beams), and I ended up with ceramic floor tiles which have the look of slate (but doesn't flake/chip like real slate flooring), and it took forever for me to settle on 4" square real slate tiles for the backsplash. There were a couple "shade groupings" and the company sent some samples. I saw a picture of a backsplash with some soapstone cut pieces inset and thought it was great. My contractor modified it with a diamond shape and a narrow "bar" above them to tie in the darker countertop. I wasn't a huge fan of the darker rust color pieces - thought it looked odd - but the mix of colors (in blocks) really ended up adding a lot to the area.

I'm not sure if the mix would be too "busy" since you have a lot of variation in your cabinet wood, though. I can't really see brick in the space from your pictures, even if it's the bleached brick.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Backsplash-slate-backsplash.png  

Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM

10,084 posts, read 6,401,272 times
I would go with either the antique tin ceiling tiles or stained and polyurethaned shiplap on the wall. The shiplap would look rustic and the wood tones would harmonize with the countertops. If you wanted to lighten up the look you could leave the wood natural, and if you don't like shiplap, you could use natural or stained horizontal beadboard instead. If you like white instead of the wood tones then you could paint the shiplap or the beadboard, then poly it for durability and waterproofing.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:18 PM

I love shiplap. We actually just made some out of 100 yr old barnwood that was left in our barn when we bought the house. We varnished it and put it on 3 of the walls in our mudroom. The other wall is dark square logs with permachinc between the logs. Already looked at it for the backsplash and it would be way too dark and not go with the funny color of the countertop. I was also looking at ceramic beadboard, but not sure how it would look. Here is a photo of the tumbled marble I was considering, but not sure I like that some of the tiles look dull or "dirty" color and it actually has some bits of beige in it which doesn't go at all and can't find the right antique tin ceiling tile color that would work.

Kitchen Backsplash-botticino-tumbled-marble-backsplash-counter-3

Old 05-02-2019, 05:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,097,190 times
I like the pale green tile idea, but perhaps a green with more blue in it.

Why don’t you ask around for the name of a decorator, and pay him or her for a consult? At this point, you need someone who can help you think about this. Decorator might have good recs for color and material.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Can anyone post a photo of what you think may look good?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 PM

805 posts, read 522,683 times
The countertops are purple-ish, and the cabinets are yellowish. It’s a tricky combination to complement.

I found this photo with similar cabinet and countertop color. Tile in the color of the ceramic vases might look good, if it’s not too dark. You don’t need the backsplash everywhere, necessarily.

Elegant Kitchens with Warm Wood Cabinets | Traditional Home

Old 05-02-2019, 07:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,840,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
I love shiplap. We actually just made some out of 100 yr old barnwood that was left in our barn when we bought the house. We varnished it and put it on 3 of the walls in our mudroom. The other wall is dark square logs with permachinc between the logs. Already looked at it for the backsplash and it would be way too dark and not go with the funny color of the countertop. I was also looking at ceramic beadboard, but not sure how it would look. Here is a photo of the tumbled marble I was considering, but not sure I like that some of the tiles look dull or "dirty" color and it actually has some bits of beige in it which doesn't go at all and can't find the right antique tin ceiling tile color that would work.

Attachment 210577
I've had a tile very similar to that in two homes and I would not get anything else. Never had a problem with chipping, nor is it hard to clean. It's incredibly durable and if the tile setter uses super thin grout lines it blends in so easily with the surroundings.

The tile setter can pick and choose which tiles and eliminate the ones that look "dirty."

If you don't go with that, I would choose something like the photo in post #6.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I've had a tile very similar to that in two homes and I would not get anything else. Never had a problem with chipping, nor is it hard to clean. It's incredibly durable and if the tile setter uses super thin grout lines it blends in so easily with the surroundings.

The tile setter can pick and choose which tiles and eliminate the ones that look "dirty."

If you don't go with that, I would choose something like the photo in post #6.
100% agree and same here. Similar tiles. Easy to install, easy to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating