Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:35 PM

123 posts, read 579,970 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a condo and will be redoing the kitchen completly (ripping up the old cabinets, etc..).

I'm planning on leaving the Mexican Tiles (they are red-ish/brown). And although I will be getting rid of most of the appliances, I want to keep the refrigerator and dishwasher since they are new. The problem is that they are white.

What color cabinets/counter-top can I get if I get the rest of the appliances in white? Should I just get all new appliances? I was hoping to put in a medium to dark wood cabinets with stainless steel. It seems like a waste to get rid of a new refrigerator and dishwasher though.

I tried looking around online for sample kitchen designs with white appliances, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
Why not paint the appliances? I did that once and it looked fine. They probably have a silver type paint nowadays... or maybe black or whatever color you would like. I think on the dishwasher (depending on brand) you may be able to just get a different insert as they normally come off...or get a cabinet face put on it.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
amelen, we are in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel. My dh is a kitchen designer with a local HI store. My fridge and stove are also white. I will be getting stainless/black as they go, (which will not be a long time). I am decorating now as if I have all the stainless/black appliances. I have gotten the microwave and dishwasher already. We are doing our kitchen in an old Tuscan Farmhouse style, with spice hickory cabinets, the painter came and did the walls in wheat color and then faux sponged in persimmon. To save a lot of money we are going with high definition laminate in a light persimmon. My dh put a light maple farmhouse planking on the ceiling, and terracotta flooring. The faucet and knobs are brushed nickel. Go to your local HI store and ask them for design advice, most are very knowledagble. If you have specific questions let me know and I will ask my husband.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelen View Post
I recently bought a condo and will be redoing the kitchen completly (ripping up the old cabinets, etc..).

I'm planning on leaving the Mexican Tiles (they are red-ish/brown). And although I will be getting rid of most of the appliances, I want to keep the refrigerator and dishwasher since they are new. The problem is that they are white.

What color cabinets/counter-top can I get if I get the rest of the appliances in white? Should I just get all new appliances? I was hoping to put in a medium to dark wood cabinets with stainless steel. It seems like a waste to get rid of a new refrigerator and dishwasher though.

I tried looking around online for sample kitchen designs with white appliances, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
I think stainless steel counter tops are too contemporary to go with Mexican tile. If the tile is leaning toward red, I would get black glazed cabinets or a dark cherry stained maple and a backsplash of tile that will bring in red, white and black. I might consider a decorative Mexican tile that should tie in all the three colors. A mosaic backsplash would also be good IMO. I would lean toward a light soapstone countertop, and a farmhouse sink to match the floor. This way, you could keep the white appliances without it looking out of place.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks for all the info!

Here are some pics of the way the kitchen looks now:

So should I just get the cooktop, stove & microwave in stainless steel? Would it clash with the white fridge/washing-machine?

http://www.alexmelen.com/kitchen1.jpg (broken link)
http://www.alexmelen.com/kitchen2.jpg (broken link)

The mexican tiles look something like this:
http://www.mptile.com/saltillo.jpg (broken link)
http://www.matcrete.com/prodimages/12MexicanTile.jpg (broken link)
http://concreteinnovationsnc.com/ima...201IMG_531.JPG

Still can't decide on a color for the cabinets and counter top either..

Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default The present kitchen looks just fine.......

Old kitchen looks very nice.

Maybe another way to think about this entire process. We are killing Mother Earth with all this "decorating". If you saw a recent TV program on the National Geographic channel they documented all the resources one human being uses in a typical lifetime. It was termed the "Human Footprint" and tried to explain all the demands just one person's life puts on Earth's resources.

A very nice feature was they did a focus on the critical metals supply that is quite limited and how we are impacting the number of years reserve by very wasteful practices.

So there is much beyond what one's personal tastes are involved. What something looks like. Multiply it by millions of people and it is crazy. Especially when major amounts of energy / minerals / metals / resouces are involved in even something as small as a kitchen project, especially if it is not absolutely necessary.

Maybe one feature that peeps should consider in home projects is their own impact on Mother Earth. Just one of the many decisions you make in your lifetime that determine such a lasting effect for peeps in the future. A far more social responsible approach is not to just consider trendy fads / color and the like but that actions impact for the future.

I never understand destroying a perfectly nice functional room like your kitchen for the fashion of the day. Is not about money, not about one person's Freedoms. It is really about the planet. The big crisis in oil is probably starting this year, a bunch of metals are in the same category. Depending on your age, you will live to see a bunch of them. Already in full bloom in metals like copper.

All this "Decorating" as some now seem to love to so; is having a huge addition to the impact that one person is making in their lifetime. Same with so many other life choices. Just another way of looking at a lifestyle. The resources represented just by scrapping appliances is mind boggling when taken at a larger view by the present practices. All for the advantage of another fad look to be repeated so often.

Why not just keep the present kitchen in its beautiful condition??? Hopeful allow the planet to keep on spinning a bit longer. It all starts one person at a time.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Well, I appreciate your perspective.. but i don't really have too much of a choice. I purchased this condo and the kitchen is in really bad shape. You can't tell from the pictures, but the 30 years have really worn it out. Most of the cabinets are damaged and beyond repair/resurfacing because they are metal. Trust me, if it was 'okay', i'd be able to find a better way to spend $10,000. But since they are not.. I'm trying to find the best choices to go with after I remove these cabinets.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
we recently went through a kitchen remodel and to begin, we were not going to purchase new appliances. then, when we saw how nice it looked when things were progressing, we could not put the old appliances back in! since there is all of this talk about this stimulus check that we will be receiving, there will be huge sales advertised to get people to spend their money. I would check this out and get everything new, and matching. You can donate your old appliances.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Well the two appliances I am thinking about keeping are brand new.. I just don't know if they will go with the color scheme. The main problem is that I still can't figure out what color scheme I should have with the saltillo mexican tiles! Any ideas??

Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
With a smallish kitchen, you might want to think about lighter colored wood for the cabinets or even white cabinets. Dark woods with red tile will make the place feel like a cave. Take a look at lighter colored wood for the cabinets, like a light oak or maple. It will go great with those tiles and the room would feel very warm and homey.

Don't worry right now whether or not the appliances match - you can change those out down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating