Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

It seems everyone want stainless steel and granite kitchens but I remember when everyone wanted gold, olive and almond appliances.

Some people will say SS, dark cabinets and granite is classic but I have a feeling it will look dated in 10 years.

What is the newest trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
the trend right now is still ss and dark cherry cabinets. who knows what the next one will be. i think the current style will be around for a while longer, although i am seeing some model homes with white appliances again

Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
I had SS in our last hous, and when we built this one this fall, I went with sleek black - I hated SS.

I like warm for the kitchen, and SS and granite are anything but. I went with corian (because it's not so shiny) and hardwood flooring and 42" cabinets that are a warm honey color (can't remember the wood right now).

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
We moved into a house we built last fall and did the cherry 42" cabinets and granite but chose black appliances. The black just seemed to go better with the cabinets and granite and I am so tired of stainless steele. Also we did not have any other stainless in the kitchen so it would have seemed so bright. We did all of the plumbing and lighting fixtures in oil rubbed bronze. I see now that appliances are starting to come out in the ORB now. That would have been my first choice if we had seen them then.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Ah, yes we must all be so fashionable......

I am betting on a more sane approach. Skins will cover everything. Peeps will just "Peel the skin" to get a new Now, sort of Wow, look.

Earth friendly, Green thinking of your impact on the planet.

I am betting on Crapalloy as the Next New Big Look.

That hopeless tart called fashion, what would so many peeps do without her. I definitely want to follow her close and personal, feel her heat, enjoy her charms and fall in Love Again just once more for real with the eating area of everybody's dreams. Why do I feel so cold and rejected in a modern house with all the Right Stuff????

Why don't everybody just get what they really want and forget about that ssssslut called fashion. I just love it when somebody tells me; "O Your House is So Dated". Shut up dear, it is paid for.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
To be honest, I don't give a rat's patootey what the "style" is. I have stainless steel appliances, a ceramic-top stove, and linoleum in the kitchen because they're easy to clean and look fine. I'm not trying to make some sort of fashion statement with my kitchen, LOL.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I agree with teatime, LOL BUT trends in home style are always changing. Remember when big homes with open 2 story living rooms, then after everyone ran out and bought a big home, that trend changed to more sensible living space and not wasting all of that space. Personally speaking, I think a SS and granite kitchen looks sharp and I think it will be in style for a long time. If you are talking about resale of your home, yes, you want to have a great kitchen and great bathroom. Those are the big sellers in homes and have been for years. I would love to see builders switch their thinking (based on todays economy) to building more modest, lower priced homes and then go big on the kitchens, baths and storage space. I'd sooner buy a home like a nice size ranch home with a great interior then a same priced home with a crap load of wasted space. Remember, you have to heat and cool all of that! LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Our house is 3 years old and we have SS appliances, granite counters, limestone backsplash, cherry hardwood floors, and maple cabinets. I oftern wonder too how long this kitchen will look "current". At least granite counters won't get worn out looking, and SS is somewhat timeless since it's always been used in commercial kitchens.

I've seen some trends toward other types of stone for counters and even new retro-looking stoves in different colors. Maybe "themed" kitchens are what's next - sort of what's already going on. Like a farmhouse, Tuscan, French, etc. look.

My thought is after we've been in the house for ten years, to evaluate things and see what, if anything, needs to be updated. We have one "blah" bathroom with plain tile and white corian counter, so my guess is that will be the first update in the house.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I agree with teatime, LOL BUT trends in home style are always changing. Remember when big homes with open 2 story living rooms, then after everyone ran out and bought a big home, that trend changed to more sensible living space and not wasting all of that space. Personally speaking, I think a SS and granite kitchen looks sharp and I think it will be in style for a long time. If you are talking about resale of your home, yes, you want to have a great kitchen and great bathroom. Those are the big sellers in homes and have been for years. I would love to see builders switch their thinking (based on todays economy) to building more modest, lower priced homes and then go big on the kitchens, baths and storage space. I'd sooner buy a home like a nice size ranch home with a great interior then a same priced home with a crap load of wasted space. Remember, you have to heat and cool all of that! LOL
I totally agree with you!!! Heh, when I watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, I'm horrified! I wonder how on Earth the family is going to be able to afford the utilities, taxes, insurance and upkeep on those places!!! I wonder how many of the families sell the homes and buy something more realistic?!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
It seems everyone want stainless steel and granite kitchens but I remember when everyone wanted gold, olive and almond appliances.

Some people will say SS, dark cabinets and granite is classic but I have a feeling it will look dated in 10 years.

What is the newest trend?
Frankly, this look is already starting to look dated to me. That's doubly true if the granite used for the countertops is that dark, uba tuba granite. It's just so painfully ubiquitous! Understand that I don't think it looks bad, but it's been used so much that it's doomed to look dated. I think that the truly professional stainless steel appliances (Viking, Wolfe, etc.) will survive the trend okay. Afterall, they've been used in upper-end homes for quite a while now. However, that industrial look is bound to fall out of favor. Also, I think the cheaper stainless appliances - the type you can pick up at any major retailer - will soon look as dated as the mustard appliances in my childhood home.

As for the next trend? That's just now starting to reveal itself. Just a couple of years ago, brushed nickle & other stainless steel-like finishes were popular in everything from faucets to drawer pulls to lighting fixtures. If you visit a parade home or read up on kitchen design, you'll find a lot more black iron and dark, rubbed bronze seeping in. I don't think that the bronze appliances will catch on as much as stainless steel, but I hear that black appliances are gaining in popularity. As for countertops, quartz is gaining a lot of ground. I'm also hearing more and more about countertops made from recycled glass and paper.

All of that being said, I'm not a slave to trends in my own home. My kitchen definitely isn't ready to be featured in a magazine, but it works and it's cozy and that's good enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating